A Caribbean Unicycle Adventure

Old January 30th 05, 08:45 AM
nathan

Default A Caribbean Unicycle Adventure

A couple of weeks ago, I flew from Cancun, Mexico to an island in the
Caribbean. I had with me my trusty 29" unicycle which is easy to carry
on a plane yet fast enough to actually use for transportation (125mm
cranks). On the first day, I was alone and walked around the capital
marveling at the amazing architecture and lively people but wondering
how unicycling would be in the chaotic traffic. That night Andy arrived
and we spent the whole second day unicycling around. It was fantastic!
We went all over and had no problems with traffic. The most exciting
riding was along the ocean font, what we called "The Gauntlet". This was
a very wide sidewalk about 5km long with HUGE waves crashing over it
every so often. In places the waves blasted up more than 50 feet in the
air above the sidewalk. We almost made it to the end, only partially
wet, but finally misjudged a wave and got soaked. Andy looked ahead and
saw me brought down by a wall of white. I had turned to avoid a deep
hole but found the ground so slippery that I ended up still going
forward with my wheel sideways. Next thing I knew I was under a wave,
sliding along the sidewalk, on my back. We were so wet it was comical.

We were three for the second day of riding. Rob had arrived and we went
all over downtown, a Museum, talking with so many people, Chinatown, Rob
going crazy with all the incredible photo-ops. We also figured out how
to escape the big city, so the next day, took a taxi(!) 400km to a
seaside town of about 50,000. A lady we met on the street had a contact
there who got us a couple of really nice rooms in a private home which
is a common and great way to stay overnight and enjoy home cooked meals
and local info. And it's cheaper than a hotel. As soon as we were
settled, we headed into town. There is an old and a new town and the
main difference for us was that the old town was paved with ancient and
very rough cobblestones. Muni-skills were really needed as some streets
were very steep, and all were super bumpy. We ended up way above town
and spent an hour underground exploring an interesting limestone cave
that used to have a disco in it. After that, we gave locals unicycle
lessons until sunset, then blasted "home" for the most incredible
lobster dinner of my life.

A beautiful Caribbean beach was only 12km away, so the next day we
headed out on unicycle. The distance passed quickly and soon we were
enjoying the perfect water with white sand - a tropical paradise. In the
afternoon, we toured the town some more and gave more unicycling lessons
with a couple of repeat students who were improving fast.

We took a day off unicycling and visited the local mountains by taxi. We
hiked an hour or so to a big waterfall and swimming hole. On the hike
back I started to feel a little sick and had to miss out teaching
unicycling in the square that evening as well as visiting the "Casa de
Musica" that goes late into the night.

I was feeling better in the morning but not perfect. Our host had a
friend driving back to the capital who was happy to get three bus fares
for a drive he was doing anyway. And this way we had a driver who was
happier to stop for photo ops than a taxi or a bus driver. Back in the
big city, we landed another private home to stay in for the last two
nights. It was a gorgeous stately home, old and classic with 14'
ceilings and incredible furniture. I was feeling ok but now Rob was sick
so he stayed in while Andy and I hit the town, eating interesting foods
and listening to great music until almost midnight.

For our last full day, we rode our unicycles all over and I think Rob
took something like five rolls of 36 shots. The weather was much calmer
so "The Gauntlet" was now a popular area with tons of people hanging out
enjoying the sun. We continued having great encounters with people and
exploring around. At one point we ended up in a parade of people on high
stilts (plus a juggler). This is where you want a smaller unicycle (or
longer cranks). They want to see your best tricks! I don't know how many
miles we rode in those days, but it was quite a few and they were all
fun and interesting. We had another lobster dinner at "home" for our
last night, then packed up. Rob left at 5am the next morning and Andy
and I a few hours later. We met up in Cancun and Rob and I flew home
together. Made it safely with unicycles intact before midnight - Rob was
up for 24 hours straight.

Every time I've gone to the extra trouble to bring a unicycle on a
foreign trip I've been rewarded. Especially in poorer countries, when
I'm a "rich" tourist, most interactions will be with someone somehow
angling to get something from me. On the other hand, with a unicycle,
I'm automatically giving something to everyone who sees me and I end up
having much more interesting encounters. When I compare that first day
spent alone, being an "on foot" tourist to all the other days of the
trip, I don't think I'll ever leave my unicycle at home again!

Andy and I ended up with about 550 photos we kept. Here's a 'photo
album' (http://community.webshots.com/album/262685482fYZBhe) that has 86
of the better ones. In addition Rob shot 15 rolls of 36 slides - ask him
for a slideshow next time you visit!

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

Old January 30th 05, 09:06 AM
TonyMelton

Cool report, Nathan. Sounds like you had a sweet uni-adventure.

Andy's unicycle looks like a nice ride with its Large Marge rim and
Hookworm tyre mmmmm cushy!

+()|\|-

--
TonyMelton - Head in the clouds

Read the latest online issue of
''One Track Mind'' (http://tinyurl.com/6mm9r), Unicycle.com NZ's
eNewsletter!
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

Old January 30th 05, 10:30 AM
GizmoDuck

Very cool unicycle adventure indeed! Such a perfect way to travel

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - NZUNI

o-kO
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)

Old January 30th 05, 05:32 PM
revengeofthemole

sounds like fun. so when u bring your unicycle on the plane, you take
it as a carry on? is there still enough room at your seat?

--
revengeofthemole - GooedRevenge

ur talkin to the still stand masta
revengeofthemole's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8220

Old January 30th 05, 07:08 PM
Unirene

Nice write up Nathan!
I really enjoyed seeing pictures of Cuba and your time there.
--Irene

--
Unirene - Seattle Area Rider
Unirene's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/72

Old January 30th 05, 07:29 PM
slugbath

Excellent write up, and awesome photos. I love the idea of unicycling
as a way to check out an unfamiliar culture/country - looks like a great
trip! Thanks for sharing!

- andrea

--
slugbath - Falling from grace
slugbath's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/432

Old January 31st 05, 01:00 AM
S_Wallis

Nathan,

Great story of your adventure, and the photos are fantastic. Some of
those are real keepers. The cars there make it look like a time warp.

Glad you had a good time and got to spread a little uni-fun.

Scott

--
S_Wallis - MUni Motivated

"I am always doing that which I can not do, in order that I may learn
how to do it." Pablo Picasso
S_Wallis's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1520

Old January 31st 05, 01:04 AM
Erin

Looks like it was a great trip Nathan.....wow, your story and the pix
have me so inspired.....humm, now lets see when will I next have some
vacation time ....?

--
Erin - Onewheeler

Ride more, with less.
Erin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2036

Old January 31st 05, 03:54 AM
johnfoss

Jacquie and I just looked thru all the pictures. Beautiful, especially
in the winter! I liked all the old cars, especially that black one with
the odd grill (closeup). One of those cars was used in the Lemony
Snicket movie. Do you know what kind of car that was? It has kind of an
oval grille.

Not to speak for the guys, but I'm pretty sure they all pack their
unicycles in luggage. Try carrying a 29" unicycle on an American plane;
it's not going to happen anymore. They're a lot stricter now, and
supposedly anything that doesn't fit under the seat is not allowed,
unless it's a stroller or something.

--
johnfoss - The wilder Wilder

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old January 31st 05, 01:14 PM
Orange

Sounds like a cool adventure! *Dreaming*

--
Orange - Solidarity rocks.

www.songfacts.com/detail.lasso?id=3301 Click on "View lyrics"

Orange's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6657

Unicycle ascent/descent of Mt. Evans - 14,264 feet gbarnes Unicycling 19 August 11th 04 02:48 AM
surfing on a unicycle, tips and tricks... paulie pavlic Unicycling 10 November 15th 03 10:38 PM
NZ Unicycle Weekend GizmoDuck Unicycling 6 November 3rd 03 07:37 AM
New Unicycle types! XWonka Unicycling 16 October 15th 03 08:54 PM
My first unicycle showard Unicycling 1 October 3rd 03 06:20 AM