Info Wanted on Old Vintage Weinmann Rim

Old November 9th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam

Default Info Wanted on Old Vintage Weinmann Rim

On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 15:29:05 -0800, Ozark Bicycle wrote:

On Nov 8, 4:51 pm, jim beam wrote:
On Sat, 08 Nov 2008 14:37:30 -0800, Ozark Bicycle wrote:
On Nov 8, 4:00 pm, wrote:
Fritz who? wrote:

"Fritz who"? Who cares, Jobst? The guy is asking a question about a
rim, not applying for a mortgage, car loan or a credit card. Who
cares about his full name, etc?

jobst cares because it's the mechanism by which he tries to sucker
people into a johnson measuring contest and avoid criticism for his
mistakes. without constantly quoting his alma mater, he'd not have any
credibility with the otherwise
unable-to-know-if-they're-being-bamboozled proles.

Heaven forfend his posts were ever judged solely on their merits!

nooooo! opinion can't be masqueraded as fact without the emperor's finest
threads!

as an interesting experiment though, it would be fun to post some of the
emperor's bowdlerized emissions under a nom-de-net and see whether people
take them seriously.

If you didn't know he was Jobst "the Great and Mighty" Brandt, you might
think he was just some self-inflating, self-promoting blowhard.

Old November 9th 08, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

jim beam wrote:

Jobst Brandt wrote:

Chalo Colina wrote:

*http://tinyurl.com/5acbaj
*http://tinyurl.com/6dtp9h

Insterding, so to speak. *The swaged spoke sockets effectively avoid
need for steel socket inserts or even eyelets but the straight side
walls instead of hooked bead is too bad because it will not retain
high pressures, but otherwise this rim looks durable.

I have some Araya 20" rims that feature spoke sockets like these. *I
can't tell from the picture of the Weinmann rim, but my Arayas have
eyeball-like orientation built into each socket, so that each hole is
not only specific to one hub flange or the other, but also specific to
a leading or trailing spoke. *They would not be ideal for radial or
crow's foot lacing.

Nice to know that some rim manufacturers recognize the problem and offer
a solution. *Just plugging an eyelet into a double walled (hollow) rim
doesn't do the job of spoke support as well as sockets or formed
spherical dimples.

er, so the thinner metal that results from a pressing like this can bear
more load than the thicker metal from which it originated? *

That's one of the things that deep compound curvature does best. The
socket becomes stiffer and distributes loads outwards to a larger
perimeter than a simple eyelet would have. But you probably knew
that. You don't have to look any farther than under the hood of your
car to find instances of thin metal being locally bulged to better
handle point loads.

The only good reason I can see that such forming isn't more common on
bike rims is that from a manufacturing standpoint, it only makes sense
for a single-walled rim (or, as you put it, "thick cheap crap").

The reason I prefer an eyelet, single or double, is because the
bearing surface it provides for the nipple is better than a simple
perforation in the aluminum rim extrusion. Since I gave up on Mavic
rims and lightweight parts in general, I have had no trouble with rim
cracking or spoke hole failures. Ease of building and ease of
maintenance are bigger benefits to me than maximizing the strength of
a minimal spoke bed.

Chalo
Old November 9th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Ace

I built a pair of wheels with rims like those around 1976.
They're nothing special. I have found box-section rims to
be more durable.

Tom Ace

Old November 9th 08, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marcus Coles

Fritz,

I'm sorry to see your post become pretty much hijacked.

Andrew Muzi of Yellow Jersey Ltd. may be able to help, he may even see
your post and respond as he often offers valuable input to this newsgroup.

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/WEINRIMS.JPG

The 256 Sport sounds like a possible candidate.

Good luck with the search.

Marcus