Opinions/Suggestions regarding "air saddle"

Old November 4th 05, 05:03 PM
Joseph Nichols

Default Opinions/Suggestions regarding "air saddle"

Having learned to ride on a generic 20" uni, I recently purchased my first
decent one (a 24" muni) from unicycle.com http://unicycle.com. I am very
pleased with it... except for the saddle. They had several options available
with the KH saddle. I think I might have made a bad choice. You can just
take the standard; or you can pay $15 to get the Fusion (removable cover);
or shell out $40 for the "air saddle." That sounded comfy, and the seat I
learned on was not, so I went for it.

The air saddle is merely a KH Fusion saddle with the foam padding removed
and and inner tube folded up and slightly inflated. I knew this before I
ordered it. They said "a lot of people really like it." But riding on it
feels like... well, like I'm riding on a folded up inner tube. It is soft,
but it's lumpy and gives a feeling of instability.

Does anyone out there use and like the "air saddle" and have any advice for
how to adjust mine? Or maybe you have tried and disliked the "air saddle"
and have since found one you do like? If so, please let me know. Is the KH
Fusion with the standard foam padding perhaps better in some people's
opinion? If so, maybe I should ask unicycle.com http://unicycle.com if
they can at least send me a foam pad to try in place of the inner tube.

Thanks! I'm having a blast learning...
--
Joseph

Old November 4th 05, 05:36 PM
maestro8

An air saddle can take some getting used to, but ultimately it will be
much more comfortable than a foam seat. When set up properly, it
shouldn't hinder your riding at all. You will need to experiment to
find the right air pressure; pressure is critical to achieving a
comfortable and controlled ride. Too much air and you'll be bouncing
on the seat, too little and you'll be sitting on the plastic base. I
run my airseat as low as possible: just enough air to keep me off the
base.

If you're still having problems you can "shave down" your old foam
insert (or find some new, thinner foam) and put it on top of your air
pillow. This will give you the best of both worlds: the firmness of
foam and the cushiness of air. Unfortunately, it tends to make the
seat rather thick and difficult to reassemble. The KH fusion cover
doesn't seem to have been designed to have room for both air and foam.

Let us know how it works out!

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

Old November 5th 05, 12:13 AM
mike_echter

You could also try using a few strips of duct-tape on the lumpy spots to
fasten them down, and to keep it from the old waterbed feeling when
riding (I got a bit happy with the duct-tape...) I did this on my
homemade airsaddle, and it works great!

|Filename: airsaddle uncovered small.jpg |

mike_echter

Formerly UniFanatic03
mike_echter's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11116

Old November 11th 05, 04:37 PM
Joseph Nichols

Thanks for the advice! I had way too much air in that thing. That's what was
making it so bouncy. I guess I was thinking "more pressure == firmer", but
letting out about half the aire made it much less bouncy. And duct tape
helped take the lumps out. I'm much more satisfied with the air saddle now.
Thanks guys.
--
Joseph

On 11/4/05, mike_echter
wrote:

You could also try using a few strips of duct-tape on the lumpy spots to
fasten them down, and to keep it from the old waterbed feeling when
riding (I got a bit happy with the duct-tape...) I did this on my
homemade airsaddle, and it works great!

|Filename: airsaddle uncovered small.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/10501 |

mike_echter

Formerly UniFanatic03

Joseph Nichols
Coptix
423.822.6850

Old November 11th 05, 10:46 PM
Catboy

If a problem still persists, take some saddle foam or a bike gel saddle
and place thn layer of it above the inner tube.

I ride with half miyata foam and half air in my trials ride.

--
Catboy

'I have the amazing power to talk to cats! =^.^='
(http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Catboy)
Gallery Updated: 11/11/05

*'UPD T-Shirts ON SALE NOW!!! (Only 3
Left!)'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44635)*

Old November 12th 05, 07:19 PM
Wheel Rider

I bought a Kris Holm air saddle (with the doubled over inner tube) and
have problems with it. Call me "old-fashioned" but I think when you buy
a product, it should work. We should not have to add duct tape and glue
and foam padding to make it useable. My opinion, the Kris Holm air
saddle is poorly designed.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656