Chainring Conversion For Shimano Nexus 7 Internal geared hub

Old May 22nd 06, 07:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Chainring Conversion For Shimano Nexus 7 Internal geared hub

Hello all,
I'm converting an old mountain bike to a nexus 7 hub and I want to
convert my triple chainring to a single. I am aware that I need the
3mm bolts to move the ring to the center position for proper chain
alignment. My current large chainring is a 48t,but it is worn. Should I
replace it with a BMX ring and if so how many teeth? My rear cog is a
20t. What size chain ring will give me the best gear ratio fot the
Nexus 7. Also I do some hilly riding around town and this my be a
factor in my my choice of chainring. Thank you for your suggestions.

Glenn

Old May 22nd 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

gdb415 wrote:
Hello all,
I'm converting an old mountain bike to a nexus 7 hub and I want to
convert my triple chainring to a single. I am aware that I need the
3mm bolts to move the ring to the center position for proper chain
alignment. My current large chainring is a 48t,but it is worn. Should I
replace it with a BMX ring and if so how many teeth? My rear cog is a
20t. What size chain ring will give me the best gear ratio fot the
Nexus 7. Also I do some hilly riding around town and this my be a
factor in my my choice of chainring. Thank you for your suggestions.

Glenn

Why do all that? Can't you leave the rear derailleur on to take up the
slack when you shift the front? You would have plenty of gears that way.
Bill Baka
Old May 22nd 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

My nexus 7 has a coaster brake and it's essential for the chain line to
have straight alignment to operate properly.This hub does not
freewheel.

Glenn

Old May 23rd 06, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"gdb415" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello all,
I'm converting an old mountain bike to a nexus 7 hub and I want to
convert my triple chainring to a single. I am aware that I need the
3mm bolts to move the ring to the center position for proper chain
alignment. My current large chainring is a 48t,but it is worn. Should I
replace it with a BMX ring and if so how many teeth? My rear cog is a
20t. What size chain ring will give me the best gear ratio fot the
Nexus 7. Also I do some hilly riding around town and this my be a
factor in my my choice of chainring. Thank you for your suggestions.

Glenn

I've recently done the same conversion. I'm using the old 38 tooth middle
ring without removing the others (yet) together with the 19 tooth rear that
came with the hub that I purchased already laced up from Harris Cyclery.
Sheldon Brown's online gear calculator at the Harrris website was very
useful in deciding how I wanted to gear, and so far I'm quite happy with my
choice - I seem to have a low enough first to get up anything I've tackled,
and I'm an out-of-shape 65.

ol_paul in SoCal

Nexus internal 8spd hub & shifter Jeffrey C. Jay Marketplace 0 July 11th 05 06:35 PM
FS: Nexus internal hub Jeffrey C. Jay Marketplace 2 June 24th 05 11:19 AM
Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Shimano Nexus internal hub assembly question . . . General 0 July 26th 03 11:26 PM