Hub Dynamo for charging mobile phones

Old October 25th 06, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
biking-geordie

Default Hub Dynamo for charging mobile phones

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used a hub dynamo (or for that matter any
dynamo) as a charging device for a mobile phone or other rechargeable
gadgets. I work for myself and use my mobile a lot for staying on top
of email and business etc. I've got LED lights front and rear so
wouldn't use the dynamo for charging / running the lights. It'd be
great to be able to run my business whilst on the road on a cycle
camping tour or similar but in the past have had to blag access to a
phone socket in cafes or bars whenever I could - not always the best
way forward and if I'm in a remote area then that option disappears .

I did look at the option of a solar charger sitting on top of my
panniers as well for days when I'm dossing around in my tent waiting
for the rain to stop but if it's lashing down with rain then there
won't be a lot of sun.

Any innovative suggestions which allow me to 'work' whilst on the road
would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Pete.

Old October 25th 06, 02:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jan Wysocki

On 2006-10-25, biking-geordie wrote:

[snip, working on the road, dynamo charging]

Pete, I've carried a USB charger, which is a lot lighter than a mains
charger. Spare, fully charged batteries are also lighter than
a dynamo and cost less.

--
Jan
Old October 25th 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

biking-geordie wrote on 25/10/2006 11:59 +0100:
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has used a hub dynamo (or for that matter any
dynamo) as a charging device for a mobile phone or other rechargeable
gadgets.

I've got one somewhere that was a gift from a well meaning relative.
Still in its original packing I think, if I can find it and it hasn't
gone tothedump.

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old October 26th 06, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

http://www.gobike.org/newsletters/sp...sMayJune02.pdf

Old October 26th 06, 01:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

you could make a simple (and not especially efficient) 12V source by
wiring the dynamo output to a bridge rectifier connected to a large-ish
capacitor and 12V zener in parallel.
Then you could use a car phone charger, they work with 12V.

It would use a bit more power than standard 6V 3W dynamo lights, rather
like using 2 headlights in series as some people do with hub dynamos.

rob

Old October 26th 06, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
sothach

wrote:
you could make a simple (and not especially efficient) 12V source by
wiring the dynamo output to a bridge rectifier connected to a large-ish
capacitor and 12V zener in parallel.
Then you could use a car phone charger, they work with 12V.

Car charger - that'd work with a BuM 12v bottle dynamo (and the Schmidt
12v hub *when* they put it into production - what are they waiting for?)

Old October 26th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Clinch

sothach wrote:

Car charger - that'd work with a BuM 12v bottle dynamo (and the Schmidt
12v hub *when* they put it into production - what are they waiting for?)

Complete and utter confidence in the production engineering is my guess.
They don't have a reputation for Doing Things Right for nothing...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old October 26th 06, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Don Whybrow

Peter Clinch wrote:
sothach wrote:

Car charger - that'd work with a BuM 12v bottle dynamo (and the Schmidt
12v hub *when* they put it into production - what are they waiting for?)

Complete and utter confidence in the production engineering is my guess.
They don't have a reputation for Doing Things Right for nothing...

I have heard that the German word for "effective" is the same as the
word for "efficient". This lack of distinction has resulted in the high
standards of engineering that one thinks of when considering German
products. They won't be cheap mind, but they will do the job very well.
On the other hand, in British industry the key word of the two is
"efficient", i.e. just good enough for the job and at the cheapest price.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five.
Old October 26th 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
mark

Don Whybrow wrote:

I have heard that the German word for "effective" is the same as the
word for "efficient". This lack of distinction has resulted in the high
standards of engineering that one thinks of when considering German
products. They won't be cheap mind, but they will do the job very well.
On the other hand, in British industry the key word of the two is
"efficient", i.e. just good enough for the job and at the cheapest price.

My pocket German-English dictionary confirms what you have heard.
Interesting how little liguistic tidbits like this can help describe a
culture.

mark

Old October 30th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Chris Malcolm

biking-geordie wrote:

Just wondering if anyone has used a hub dynamo (or for that matter any
dynamo) as a charging device for a mobile phone or other rechargeable
gadgets. I work for myself and use my mobile a lot for staying on top
of email and business etc. I've got LED lights front and rear so
wouldn't use the dynamo for charging / running the lights. It'd be
great to be able to run my business whilst on the road on a cycle
camping tour or similar but in the past have had to blag access to a
phone socket in cafes or bars whenever I could - not always the best
way forward and if I'm in a remote area then that option disappears .

My solution to that problem was to buy an extra large capacity battery
for my mobile. If I leave it on day and night it lasts about 3 weeks,
more if I turn it off at nights etc.. I've often taken it for
week-long trips in which I used it every day for at least an hour
on-line and it came back home with plenty of charge still left.

--
Chris Malcolm DoD #205
[

So many people driving with mobile phones dannyfrankszzz UK 22 September 7th 06 12:06 PM
Mobile 'phones crackdown MartinM UK 79 November 23rd 04 02:32 PM
Mobile Phones Vincent Wilcox UK 38 December 5th 03 10:02 AM
Web page to report drivers using mobile phones Justin Australia 2 November 12th 03 10:26 PM
Mobile phones. This is bound to brass the motorists off. andrew UK 4 July 19th 03 02:18 PM