Coker Lean/Twist: a partial solution

Old January 9th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
podzol

Default Coker Lean/Twist: a partial solution

Out on a ride on a dirt road today and doing some thinking about my
listing this way and that. Some times it is to the right, sometimes
left, sometimes towards the crown, other times away from the crown.
Seemed to have no ryme nor reason but was very real and annoying!!

After some thought, I figured out exactly what it was for me!
The placement of my feet on the pedals, how far away they are from the
hub, not front and back. For example, if my left foot was towards the
hub and right away, I would list to the right, even up the crown. If
they were opposite, I would go the other way. Centered from side to
side, the twist/lean was minimal. I think this is due to the increase
in lateral torque exherted on the wheel with increasing distance from
the hub. T=fx, right? so in a few centimeters can make a large
difference here.

Please give it a try and see if it happens for you, too!!

|Filename: CoekrLeanJ.jpg |

podzol

WILL DRYWALL FOR UNICYCLES.
*Will unicycle for donuts. *
*Will donut for drywall. *
podzol's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10131

Old January 9th 07, 03:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

podzol wrote:
[...]

yes, i beleive that is the way it works
i noticed that a while back, but didn't say anything

T=Fx is correct

thank you for posting that, it will be much help to beginners when they
can't figure why they sidetrack

i have one problem w/ you theory though. How is it possible then to
ride one footed in a straight line without twisting?

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

-last edited by \"your mom\" at 8:35 pm -
skrobo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12272

Old January 9th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

skrobo wrote:
yes, i beleive that is the way it works
i noticed that a while back, but didn't say anything

T=Fx is correct

thank you for posting that, it will be much help to beginners when they
can't figure why they sidetrack

i have one problem w/ you theory though. How is it possible then to
ride one footed in a straight line without twisting?

you balance your other foot so that it is still equal. You also lean.

--
mornish

aim: kiloornish
email: mornish AT gmail DOT com
(\_/)
O o
()This is bunny. Copy bunny on to your signature to help him on his
way to world domination.

Old January 9th 07, 04:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

mornish wrote:
you balance your other foot so that it is still equal. You also lean.

oh DUHH
shoulda realised that, I don't lean ?

Old January 9th 07, 04:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

Your other foot balances it out. You do twist a bit, but you correct it
with your other foot.

--
Danni

leo wrote:
Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

Danni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12990

Old January 9th 07, 04:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hazmat

Danni wrote:
Your other foot balances it out. You do twist a bit, but you correct it
with your other foot.

I think he means that you twist to a certain point where gravity is
still holding you and your unicycle and balance it out. Is that right
Danni??

--
Hazmat

If you fail at unicycling or unicycle tricks, try again, when you try
again. You will never fail.
Hazmat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13828

Old January 9th 07, 05:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Not sure if I understand the problem described above, but when I have
trouble it's usually related to road crown. My feet are pretty well
behaved as to where they are on the pedals. But a road with lots of
crown can be murder, especially when it's narrow and you have to ride
on the edge with cars going by. This was my big problem on my partial
ride around Lake Tahoe last summer. Downhill curves to the right were
the worst. Curves to the left were better than going straight!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old January 9th 07, 07:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Klaas Bil

Podzol, I'll have to try that. But if you are right, then not only have
you solved your problem of previously unexplained listing, but you have
provided everyone with a quite easy way to solve the problem of road
crown. For with a little relocation of feet on pedals, one can
compensate any adverse turning tendency. Too good to be true, really.

Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Old January 9th 07, 08:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wobbling bear

I have noticed too that having the body twisted a way or another came
from my ill placed free-mount. But I think the combination is more
complex than just positionning feet sideways: it is also a difference
between positions of the feet (more towards the heel or not) plus the
position on the saddle (I prefer being seated at the top of the saddle
-I mean to the rear-).
sometimes I can't explain (it is _not__due to the crown of the road) I
just start twisting my body more and more ... I try to counteract by
relaxing and letting my arms go down along my body.

--
wobbling bear

One Wheel : bear necessity
wobbling bear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3716

Old January 9th 07, 12:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
habbywall

You have a coker?

--
habbywall