"Do not feed the dinosaur! Ride a bike!"

Old February 21st 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

Default MULTIMODAL IS THE WAY TO GO

If you changed it from Emperor rode a donkey to rather the Messiah rode a
donkey the Messiah definitely had more power.
He came back from that beating didn't he.
So cyclists have the power. Use it wisely and peacefully to avoid a
beating.

Old February 21st 07, 10:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Doc O'Leary

Default cars get the lion's share

In article ,
"Daryl Hunt" wrote:

Wow, Bill. That would be considered "Unclean" by some. You are supposed to
hook up that generator to the rear wheel, suspend the rear wheel and pedal
while listing to those stations.

Hmmm. Maybe I should patent this if it doesn't already exist, but does
anyone make a generator that is integrated with the freewheel or
possibly the derailer? By linking the generation to the pedaling
instead of the wheel, it'd be possible to just pedal backwards and
"freewheel" the power. I suppose you could also build the wheels for
the trailer with hub generators, but I still like the idea that the
trailer cover can power it. I'm surprised most refrigerated cooler lids
don't have panels built in already; maybe I should patent that, too. :-)

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org
Old February 21st 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Bill Baka

Daryl Hunt wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message
. net...
Aeek wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:01:08 GMT, Bill Baka wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:
You don't need all that hi-tech, energy-consuming razmatazz.
Why do people always default to wasteful, hi-tech/hi-cost
approaches?
What the flying **** is energy wasting about Solar?
Have you TOTALLY lost it?
Got to make it and if you don't need the energy there's no payback to
be had.

Some of you people are totally hopeless. I had a spare solar cell just
sitting around so I hooked it to my 6 volt marine RDF that I sometimes
take with me for some FREE sound. No batteries, ever. Since I don't sit by
the waterfall in the rain I have AM/FM/Marine LF, Marine HF, and even
aircraft band. More entertaining listening in on the 'Heavies' flying over
than an MP3, and it's FREE. Sun is FREE. What don't you understand?
Should I go nuclear????
Bill Baka

Wow, Bill. That would be considered "Unclean" by some. You are supposed to
hook up that generator to the rear wheel, suspend the rear wheel and pedal
while listing to those stations.

The idea is to relax at the mid-point of an 80 mile ride. Besides, since
the radio only takes about 1.5 watts at full volume and the solar panel
puts out about 250ma at 6 volts it works just fine. Pedaling for less
than 1 watt is a tad ridiculous. Riding is riding, and relaxing is
laying on the grass, listening to the waterfall and the radio, with the
radio being optional.
Bill Baka
Old February 21st 07, 11:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Arif Khokar

[Leaving group distribution intact since I don't know from what group
you're reading this from]

Wayne Pein wrote:
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

Oh, and as 'traffic', make sure you adhere to all applicable laws. Like
the one prohibiting slow vehicles from delaying more than 5 vehicles.

Laws discriminating against slow traffic should be abolished in those
backwater places that have chosen to adopt them.

I see those types of laws only applying to slow vehicles that take up
the entire lane. IMO, drivers who lack the necessary competence to pass
a cyclist should lose their licences.
Old February 22nd 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

Default The Christian Fundamentalists should ride an ass

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 20, 7:06 pm, "George Conklin"
wrote:

Actually, I *do* think it is a shame that it's virtually impossible to

use
horses for transportation in most areas, even rural ones. It

basically
turns what could be a useful animal into another mouth to feed that's

not
producing anything useful.

Horses stopped doing useful work about 1920.- Hide quoted text -

It doesn't matter. The Christian Fundamentalists (those who interpret
the Bible literally) should ride the same vehicle their boss did: an
ass. Yep, it's in there in the Bible...

John 12:14

"Jesus found a young donkey and sat upon it, as it is written,"

and...

Luke 13:15

The Lord answered him, "You hypocrites! Doesn't each of you know that
SUVs pollute my creation, make oil wars necessary and kill innocent
people who choose smaller vehicles?"

Well, that's not entirely in the Bible, but I'm sure Jesus would have
said it.

And God drove a Plymouth. It says in the bible, "And in his Fury he drove
them out."

Old February 22nd 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

Default If public transportation works good for Disney...?

"Wayne Pein" wrote in message
donquijote1954 wrote:

Damage society? If it works for that Conservative Utopia callled
"Disney World," I don't see why transit can't work for the rest of
us...

That's because you live in LaLaLand.

Wayne

Disney created stage sets, not real cities.

Old February 22nd 07, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

Wayne Pein wrote:
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

Oh, and as 'traffic', make sure you adhere to all applicable laws. Like
the one prohibiting slow vehicles from delaying more than 5 vehicles.

Laws discriminating against slow traffic should be abolished in those
backwater places that have chosen to adopt them.

I see those types of laws only applying to slow vehicles that take up
the entire lane. IMO, drivers who lack the necessary competence to pass
a cyclist should lose their licences.

Bicycles just slow down roads and make us invest a whole lot more.

Old February 22nd 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tom Keats

Wayne Pein wrote:
Paul Hovnanian P.E. wrote:

Oh, and as 'traffic', make sure you adhere to all applicable laws. Like
the one prohibiting slow vehicles from delaying more than 5 vehicles.

Laws discriminating against slow traffic should be abolished in those
backwater places that have chosen to adopt them.

I see those types of laws only applying to slow vehicles that take up
the entire lane. IMO, drivers who lack the necessary competence to pass
a cyclist should lose their licences.

Bicycles just slow down roads and make us invest a whole lot more.

No, that's what cars do.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Old February 22nd 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Tim McNamara

In article . net,
"George Conklin" wrote:

And God drove a Plymouth. It says in the bible, "And in his Fury he
drove them out."

OK, that's pretty danged funny.