"Do not feed the dinosaur! Ride a bike!"

Old February 22nd 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Daryl Hunt

Default cars get the lion's share

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
Daryl Hunt wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message
. net...
Aeek wrote:
On Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:01:08 GMT, Bill Baka wrote:

Tom Keats wrote:
You don't need all that hi-tech, energy-consuming razmatazz.
Why do people always default to wasteful, hi-tech/hi-cost
approaches?
What the flying **** is energy wasting about Solar?
Have you TOTALLY lost it?
Got to make it and if you don't need the energy there's no payback to
be had.
Some of you people are totally hopeless. I had a spare solar cell just
sitting around so I hooked it to my 6 volt marine RDF that I sometimes
take with me for some FREE sound. No batteries, ever. Since I don't sit
by the waterfall in the rain I have AM/FM/Marine LF, Marine HF, and even
aircraft band. More entertaining listening in on the 'Heavies' flying
over than an MP3, and it's FREE. Sun is FREE. What don't you understand?
Should I go nuclear????
Bill Baka

Wow, Bill. That would be considered "Unclean" by some. You are supposed
to hook up that generator to the rear wheel, suspend the rear wheel and
pedal while listing to those stations.

The idea is to relax at the mid-point of an 80 mile ride. Besides, since
the radio only takes about 1.5 watts at full volume and the solar panel
puts out about 250ma at 6 volts it works just fine. Pedaling for less than
1 watt is a tad ridiculous. Riding is riding, and relaxing is laying on
the grass, listening to the waterfall and the radio, with the radio being
optional.
Bill Baka

I know, Bill. I was poking fun at some.

It has removed 2708 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old February 22nd 07, 06:33 PM posted to alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc
necromancer

Default donkey hotay's crossposting ******s need to STFU

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), donquijote1954
said in rec.autos.driving:

snip a bunch of crap

--
Sincerely,

The New World Order.
Old February 22nd 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default MULTIMODAL IS THE WAY TO GO

On Feb 21, 5:03 pm, "nash" wrote:
If you changed it from Emperor rode a donkey to rather the Messiah rode a
donkey the Messiah definitely had more power.
He came back from that beating didn't he.
So cyclists have the power. Use it wisely and peacefully to avoid a
beating.

The Emperor would have ridden an SUV, but the Messiah would have
ridden a bike.

Now we should narrow it down to a particular brand of bike, and seek
sponsors.

"The Messiah would have ridden a Trek," for example.

Old February 22nd 07, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default The Christian Fundamentalists should ride an ass

On Feb 21, 8:35 pm, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article . net,
"George Conklin" wrote:

And God drove a Plymouth. It says in the bible, "And in his Fury he drove
them out."

God is also obviously an advocate of car pooling.

For sure, he would have taken all his disciples in two vans for long
distance touring. Then the bikes for local preaching. Something like
the Mormons, you know.

Old February 22nd 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

I know this group has been through this hundreds of times, but I'm not
sure how realistic it is to expect a publicly funded transportation mode
to profit. Roads aren't exactly cheap either. And just imagine how
many billions must be wasted on the small stuff, like municipal parking
lots.

Odd.. at one point the trolleys were profitable. Then an option was given to
the public that was more desirable.. That's when trolleys lost out.

Here, the parking is just about all paid, and highly profitable for those
selling the space. The only municipally owned stuff around here is at the
court house, and there are spaces set aside for things like jury parking.
(Show your jury duty letter to get in) - and so on. Everything else is a
for-profit operation.

Can you say "screwed up priorities?" -- I thought you could.- Hide quoted text -

That's a nice way to put it. What gets priority is what feeds the
dinosaur the most, not what's better. And the older simpler technology
doesn't simply die out. It's killed.

Bikes were at one point VERY POPULAR, then came the simple but stylish
open car and trolley, which were killed to get people into mass-
production claustrophobic cars and buses. Later they realized they
could further fit people into trucks and charge them an arm and a leg.
The cyclists and fun efficient transportation of any kind are
dismissed. Welcome to the SUV world.

By the way, do you know who killed this one?

http://www.sonyclassics.com/whokilledtheelectriccar/

Old February 22nd 07, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

"donquijote1954" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Chevrolet has the Volt. with 4 sources of energy. 150mph.
not dead just dormant
not in production yet sadly. really cool looking car

Old February 22nd 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ,
Wayne Pein wrote:
donquijote1954 wrote:

On Feb 21, 7:53 pm, "George Conklin"
wrote:

the entire lane. IMO, drivers who lack the necessary competence to pass
a cyclist should lose their licences.

Bicycles just slow down roads and make us invest a whole lot more.

Not if we got bike lanes. Or maybe a gigantic elevated path with
elevators for bikes. Or simply charge a tax gas to the tune of $8 a
gallon. Then cars would become endangered species.

We don't need to be kicked off OUR ancestral roads onto crummy Bike
Reservations for the convenience of motorists at our expense.

You don't have any ancestral roads. The ancestral roads belong to
cattle and horses and their drivers and riders.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old February 22nd 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Once the dinosaur is either killed or put on a diet, this is the kind
of little animal that I think could prevail in the next evolutionary
period...

http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/t/r/troprent/ford.htm

Of course, such a cute little car wouldn't have a chance now in our
Darwinian roads. Nobody would sell insurance for one. And all the
loopholes in the law go to favor the big and stupid (no special
license, you can write them for work use).

I'm praying that God decides their mission in life is over, and
decides to send Jesus on a donkey down here.

Old February 22nd 07, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Arif Khokar

Wayne Pein wrote:
George Conklin wrote:

Bicycles just slow down roads and make us invest a whole lot more.

Inept crybaby. Learn how to drive better. I don't have a problem passing
bicyclists when I drive. Why do you?

He's an inept hypocrite. He also claims he has the right to block the
road with his unnecessary SUV and impede those with more capable vehicles.
Old February 22nd 07, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Wayne Pein

Matthew T. Russotto wrote:

In article ,
Wayne Pein wrote:

We don't need to be kicked off OUR ancestral roads onto crummy Bike
Reservations for the convenience of motorists at our expense.

You don't have any ancestral roads. The ancestral roads belong to
cattle and horses and their drivers and riders.

Ooops. My bad. Let me rephrase.

We shouldn't be kicked off our ancestral PAVED roads onto crummy Bike
Reservations for the convenience of motorists at our expense.

It is a matter of historical record that bicycling groups were the first
to push the Good Roads Movement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Roads_Movement

Wayne