shifting 9 with 10-speed Shimano lever?

Old November 6th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

Default shifting 9 with 10-speed Shimano lever?

Is there a way I can use a 10-speed STI lever to shift over a 9-speed
cassette? Using a Shimano rear derailleur?
Old November 6th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Nov 6, 10:20*am, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
Is there a way I can use a 10-speed STI lever to shift over a 9-speed
cassette? *Using a Shimano rear derailleur?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer...html#alternate

I hear mixed reports on how well this works.

-pm
Old November 6th 08, 08:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

wrote:
Is there a way I can use a 10-speed STI lever to shift over a 9-speed
cassette? *Using a Shimano rear derailleur?

http://jtekengineering.com/shiftmate.htm

You need model #2.
Old November 6th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

Thanks guys.
Old November 7th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Is there a way I can use a 10-speed STI lever to shift over a 9-speed
cassette? Using a Shimano rear derailleur?

As others have pointed out, JTEK, but this is classically a case where
buying a $55 10-speed cassette might save you from buying a $35 pulley.

This can't be a weight thing, because the JTEK pulley will have to weigh
about what the weight-difference is between a really fancy 9-speed
cassette and a $55 10-speed cassette. And it can't be a wheel thing,
because 9-speed freehubs can take 10-speed cassettes just fine.

And the cassette is a consumable, so you'll be buying one eventually.

If you need further justification, sell the 9-speed cassette to a sad
sack like me. If you get more than $15 for it, you get the extra cog for
free!

Old November 7th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

In article ,

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
As others have pointed out, JTEK, but this is classically a case where
buying a $55 10-speed cassette might save you from buying a $35 pulley.

This can't be a weight thing, because the JTEK pulley will have to weigh
about what the weight-difference is between a really fancy 9-speed
cassette and a $55 10-speed cassette. And it can't be a wheel thing,
because 9-speed freehubs can take 10-speed cassettes just fine.

And the cassette is a consumable, so you'll be buying one eventually.

If you need further justification, sell the 9-speed cassette to a sad
sack like me. If you get more than $15 for it, you get the extra cog for
free!

While you make excellent points, Ryan, I can't fully agree with you. My
main hesitation with diving into the 10 speed world comes from the
fact that chains/cassettes are consumable and so much more expensive
(US$50+ each?).

Granted, I haven't taken the time to really hunt for bargains. But
bargain 10 speed chains make me nervous anyway. Don't know that they
should, but they do.

But if there's anyone who can convince me I'm wrong about all this, it's
you.

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old November 7th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

In article ,

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
[...]

Best 10-speed chain I've used is also the cheapest: the KMC DX10SC,
sold as the house brand 10s chain at Nashbar and Performance. I've
gotten it for as little as $20 (it's $22 at Performance right now),
and it looks as nice as any $20 9s chain you can find.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5134
Old November 7th 08, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Hank wrote:
Best 10-speed chain I've used is also the cheapest: the KMC DX10SC,
sold as the house brand 10s chain at Nashbar and Performance. I've
gotten it for as little as $20 (it's $22 at Performance right now),
and it looks as nice as any $20 9s chain you can find.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5134

Wow. Thanks for the info.
\\paul

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.
Old November 7th 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
[...]

This may be less convincing: I don't have any 10-speed bikes. I race on
9-speed equipment, because it's cheap.

That said, JT was in a position where he already had the really
expensive part, the shifters. If I already had 10-speed shifters, I'd be
looking for a cassette and chain.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing
Old November 7th 08, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul M. Hobson[_2_]

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
This may be less convincing: I don't have any 10-speed bikes. I race on
9-speed equipment, because it's cheap.

That said, JT was in a position where he already had the really
expensive part, the shifters. If I already had 10-speed shifters, I'd be
looking for a cassette and chain.

I'm thinking about these + Rival rear der.
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=25206&category=775

--
Paul M. Hobson
..:change the f to ph to reply:.