Suitable saddlepack for a Brooks B17 saddle

Old August 4th 03, 06:39 PM
Willowbeauty

Default Suitable saddlepack for a Brooks B17 saddle

Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits OK-
I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails
don't run parallel far enough towards the back of the saddle to allow the
saddlepacks to be clamped on.

I don't want to revert to a saddlebag or anything else since I want the same
set up on my touring bike and my road bike (which has a racing saddle so no
problems with that one of course!)

Any help gratefully accepted, my jersey pockets are getting fed up carrying
my spares!

Old August 5th 03, 02:48 AM
mark

"Willowbeauty" wrote in message
Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits

OK-
I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails
don't run parallel far enough towards the back of the saddle to allow the
saddlepacks to be clamped on.

I don't want to revert to a saddlebag or anything else since I want the

same
set up on my touring bike and my road bike (which has a racing saddle so

no
problems with that one of course!)

Any help gratefully accepted, my jersey pockets are getting fed up

carrying
my spares!

When I'm not using the Carradice my Jandd seatbag works quite nicely on my
B17 and other saddles. Are
Jandd products sold in the UK?
HTH,
--
mark

Old August 5th 03, 09:35 AM
Willowbeauty

"mark" wrote in message
ink.net...

[...]

Sadly it would seem not, the products do look good, the shipping from the US
looks a bit prohibitive though (more than the cost of the pack!) Thanks for
your advice, I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Old August 5th 03, 03:24 PM
Daren Austin

"Willowbeauty" wrote in message .. .
Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits OK-
I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails
don't run parallel far enough towards the back of the saddle to allow the
saddlepacks to be clamped on.

I use a seatpack made a few years ago by Blackburn. Fastening is via a
long velcro strap that goes through the saddle rails, around the pack
and back on itself. You can squash the pack smaller this way.

It normally carries multitool, multi allen keys, spanner, tyre levers,
1/2 spare tubes depending on bike. The front pocket carries money and
a spare spd cleat and bolts.

You can store a raincoat by folding it under the strap.

Anything with this method of fastening will fit. It goes on all my
bikes.

Kind regards,

Daren
Old August 5th 03, 05:09 PM
Andrew Chadwick

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 18:39:01 +0100, Willowbeauty
wrote:

Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits OK-
I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails
don't run parallel far enough towards the back of the saddle to allow the
saddlepacks to be clamped on.

I use a Specialized "Wedgie" on my B17. It attaches to the rails in the
middle with a little belt thingy (so they don't have to be parallel),
and to the seatpost with a bit of velcro. I haven't had any problems
with its fit, but you probably don't want to mount an LED blinkie on the
reflective strap on the back - they tend to fall off.

Have a squint at the postage-stamp-sized picture at:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/spec%...ie%20index.jpg

--
Andrew Chadwick
We're all in this together
Old August 5th 03, 10:12 PM
Willowbeauty

wrote:

[...]

You sir are a star, I shall be placing my order tomorrow! Many thanks to the
other contributors on this thread too.

Old August 6th 03, 03:21 AM
Robert Taylor

Willowbeauty wrote:
Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits
OK- I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the
rails don't run parallel far enough towards the back of the saddle to
allow the saddlepacks to be clamped on.
I don't want to revert to a saddlebag or anything else since I want the
same set up on my touring bike and my road bike (which has a racing
saddle so no problems with that one of course!)
Any help gratefully accepted, my jersey pockets are getting fed up
carrying my spares!

Here in the U.S. a company called Rivendell Bicycle Works sells a simple
18"x18" square of waterproof canvas for $3 (about 2 GBP). The user is
instructed to lay his tools, coins, keys, ... whatever, on the cloth
fold the cloth in from two sides, roll or fold from one of the other two
sides, and then strap this packet onto your saddle rails with a toe
strap (which you must buy separately). Not only will this hold your
stuff but when repairs are necessary you can keep everything on the
unfolded cloth and nothing should get lost in the grass.

Very simple but I can't think of a reason why it won't work. If you want
to try it you can simply gather the necessary cloth and toe strap, no
need to have it sent all the way from Walnut Creek, California.

Bob Taylor

Old August 8th 03, 06:03 PM
Andrew Sweetman

Willowbeauty wrote .
Has anyone got a B17 saddle and is using a saddlepack that actually fits

OK-
I keep buying various Topeak and others that simply won't fit, the rails
don't run parallel far enough towards the back of the saddle to allow the
saddlepacks to be clamped on.

I use a small Trek seatpack with a Team Pro. The bracket is clamped to the
parallel section of the rails before they flare out. It doesn't need very
much space, and I have my saddle set fairly well back anyway.

Andrew