Mechanical disc brakes and hub

Old September 13th 03, 05:34 PM
Piotrek S.

Default Mechanical disc brakes and hub

HI

What mechanical disc brakes do You recommend ? For price up to about 60$ per
rotor and adapter.
I'm considering Deore mechanical disc brake 515. What do You think about it
?

I'd like to ask , what rear hub for disc brakes do You recoomend for price
up to 50 $
I was considering Deore 525 hub, but I've read , that it's not working to
well, and it's not to strong.

Please help !

Peter

--
E-mail:
tel. +48 504 289266

Old September 13th 03, 06:59 PM
T_Blood

"Piotrek S." wrote in message
HI

What mechanical disc brakes do You recommend ? For price up to about 60$

per
rotor and adapter.
I'm considering Deore mechanical disc brake 515. What do You think about

it
?

I'd like to ask , what rear hub for disc brakes do You recoomend for price
up to 50 $
I was considering Deore 525 hub, but I've read , that it's not working to
well, and it's not to strong.

Please help !

Peter

I run Avid Mechs on XT hubs. Seems to work real well for me. Plus, Avid's
customer service rocks.

Old September 13th 03, 09:07 PM
ClydesdaleMTB

One word: "Avid"

--
John G.
http://www.shavings.net/survival.htm

Old September 13th 03, 09:34 PM
B. Sanders

"T_Blood" wrote in message

"Piotrek S." wrote in message
HI

What mechanical disc brakes do You recommend ? For price up to about 60$

per
rotor and adapter.
I'm considering Deore mechanical disc brake 515. What do You think about

it
?

I'd like to ask , what rear hub for disc brakes do You recoomend for

price
up to 50 $
I was considering Deore 525 hub, but I've read , that it's not working

well, and it's not to strong.

Please help !

Peter

I run Avid Mechs on XT hubs. Seems to work real well for me. Plus, Avid's
customer service rocks.

Yep, I have the same setup. Great hubs, excellent Avid engineering.
Recommended. XT hubs are overbuilt (read: heavy); but bombproof.

-Barry

Old September 13th 03, 10:26 PM
Zilla

- Zilla
Cary, NC
(Remove XSPAM)

Old September 14th 03, 02:09 AM
GregR

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 16:07:35 -0400, ClydesdaleMTB
wrote:

One word: "Avid"

word

the only way to go

Old September 14th 03, 03:05 AM
Westie

"Piotrek S." wrote in message
HI

What mechanical disc brakes do You recommend ? For price up to about 60$

per
rotor and adapter.
I'm considering Deore mechanical disc brake 515. What do You think about

it
?

I think that it sucks.
I'll qualify that and say that they're better than V's when they work and
are adjusted correctly - and some of the problems that I've had are just
general disc problems rather than Deore-specific problems. But I'm not
happy with the performance and continual adjusting that they need. And I've
become a virtual mech-disc-adjustment-Master with the amount of time I've
spent with mine.

I haven't had much to compare it with, but I'm _still_ not happy with mine.
FWIW, I'm _still_ going to upgrade to Hope Mini's when I get the spare
funds. If you can wait and save some more cash I think that hydraulic would
be worthwhile and more satisfying if you're going to get discs.
--
Westie

Old September 14th 03, 08:53 AM
B. Sanders

"Westie" wrote in message
"Piotrek S." wrote in message
HI
What mechanical disc brakes do You recommend ? For price up to about
60$

per
rotor and adapter.
I'm considering Deore mechanical disc brake 515. What do You think
about it

I think that it sucks.
I'll qualify that and say that they're better than V's when they work
and are adjusted correctly - and some of the problems that I've had
are just general disc problems rather than Deore-specific problems.
But I'm not happy with the performance and continual adjusting that
they need. And I've become a virtual mech-disc-adjustment-Master with
the amount of time I've spent with mine.

Wow. Sorry to hear about that. Even my cheapie Cyclone front disc brake
caliper was low-maintenance - until an adjuster screw popped out while
riding, rendering the caliper useless. Doh! The bike manufacturer (Van
Dessel Sports) apologized, said they'd been having problems with the Cyclone
calipers, and replaced the Cyclone with an Avid CPS disc brake under
warranty. Van Dessel takes very good care of their customers.

So far, the Avid CPS mechanical discs have been completely "set and forget"
on both of my disc-equipped bikes. Setup is a breeze, with loads of
adjustment for less-than-perfectly-aligned I.S. caliper mounts. When you
consider that mail-order shops sell the Avid's for about $75/wheel, the
choice is obvious.

I haven't had much to compare it with, but I'm _still_ not happy with
mine. FWIW, I'm _still_ going to upgrade to Hope Mini's when I get the
spare funds. If you can wait and save some more cash I think that
hydraulic would be worthwhile and more satisfying if you're going to
get discs.

Hope Mini's look like a great choice for hydro discs. (Shaun sure likes
his.) But for $75/wheel, Avid CPS mechanicals are an unbeatable deal.
They've won near-universal acclaim, and several "Best in Class" awards.
They're just great brakes for the money.

-Barry

Old September 14th 03, 05:28 PM
JD

"B. Sanders" wrote in message news:4bL8b.436337$o%2.198042@sccrnsc02...
XT hubs are overbuilt (read: heavy); but bombproof.

More bull**** from the minister of misinformation. Try a google
search on XT hubs and broken in this newsgroup. ****mano freehubs
suck ass and are FAR from bombproof as our resident KMart Blue Light
Speccial shopper says they are.

JD