Phil Zajicek whitewashing

Old October 15th 04, 04:26 AM
Sam

rhEPO is a legal product requiring a prescription however. Stop confusing
"legal" with "prohibited". One can be the latter without being the former.

There are differences in ephedrine, pseudoephedrine and norpseudoephedrine.
Ephedrine is still prohibited IIRC. Pseudoephedrine is off, but
norpseudoephedrine apparently is not.

I am guessing that since this was China, he might have gotten a knockoff
product. Speculatiing there.

"chris" wrote in message
om...
My thoughts as well. I think we all read last year that ephedrine and
caffeine were removed from the drug list. So why is Phil being warned
about a legal product? This makes no sense.

As an FYI: Ephedrine is performance enhancing, but just barely for a
cyclist. I f they're busting him for ephedrine its laim, but there
seems to be more to the story.

CH

warren wrote in message

In article , John Forrest
Tomlinson wrote:

On 13 Oct 2004 18:00:33 -0700, (crit pro) wrote:

from
www.cyclingnews.com Oct 14, 2004 news:

Zajicek warned after test positive
The United States Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) has announced that

Philip
Zajicek tested positive for cathine (norpseudoephedrine) at the Tour
of Qinghai Lake on July 22, 2004 in China.

Zajicek, 25, received a public warning, in accordance with UCI rules
for a first offence. In addition, he has been disqualified from his
first-place finish overall finish at the Tour of Qinghai Lake and
fined 666 Swiss Francs.

Cathine is a metabolite of pseudoephedrine but its presence is
prohibited above a concentration in urine of 5mcg/ml.

Zajicek issued a statement about the warning, saying he had been
taking Sudafed, which contains pseudoephedrine "in a normal adult

dose
to combat occasional allergies. It has been deemed safe for
competition and does not hold any performance enhancing properties."

Dang, even I would not take Sudafed if I knew there was the slightest
chance of testing. And this guy is a pro? WTF?

Actually, Sudafed is allowed as of January 1 2004. I even talked to
someone at USADA in August to make sure.

Also, it does have performance-enhancing properties for someone with
allergies or some kinds of asthma. And it is a mild stimulant (that's
why it's not suggested for nightime use).

So there is more to the story.

-WG

Old October 15th 04, 06:03 AM
warren

In article et, Sam
wrote:

rhEPO is a legal product requiring a prescription however. Stop confusing
"legal" with "prohibited". One can be the latter without being the former.

There are differences in ephedrine, pseudoephedrine and norpseudoephedrine.
Ephedrine is still prohibited IIRC. Pseudoephedrine is off, but
norpseudoephedrine apparently is not.

I am guessing that since this was China, he might have gotten a knockoff
product. Speculatiing there.

In the VeloNews article he claims that he made sure to take the brand
name "Sudafed" and not a generic so as to avoid possible problems.

-WG