SRAM X.0 Question

Old December 21st 04, 10:06 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Default SRAM X.0 Question

First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the
back. With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without
it sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable
supposed to not loop? It seems to shift fine.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old December 21st 04, 10:08 PM
Slacker

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:06:03 -0500, Ride-A-Lot =

wrote:

First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different tha=

n =

Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the =

back. With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop withou=

t =

it sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable =

supposed to not loop? It seems to shift fine.

No loop needed since SRAM's are at the correct angle to begin with, at =

least the ones I've seen. Why Shimano can't/won't figure this simple thi=
ng =

out is beyond me!

-- =

Slacker
Old December 22nd 04, 02:05 AM
Scott

"Slacker" wrote in message
newspsjdo39cvm83lxu@slacker...
No loop needed since SRAM's are at the correct angle to begin with, at
least the ones I've seen. Why Shimano can't/won't figure this simple thing
out is beyond me!
Slacker

Perhaps they have a lot of old stock parts already fabricated.

Old December 22nd 04, 02:08 AM
Scott

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the back.
With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without it
sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable supposed
to not loop? It seems to shift fine.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

So what do you think of the derailure? Is it rapid rise?

Old December 22nd 04, 02:53 AM
Michael Dart

Scott wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different
than Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and
through the back. With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make
a loop without it sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So,
is the cable supposed to not loop? It seems to shift fine.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

So what do you think of the derailure? Is it rapid rise?

All Sram derailleurs are high normal, not "rapid-rise" or low normal.

And yes the shifter housing runs straight to them with no "loop". You can
use an Avid Rollamagig to get this with Shimano.

I've seen too many X.0 derailleurs self destruct however. The pully cage
separates from the knuckle easily.

Mike

Old December 22nd 04, 03:01 AM
Ride-A-Lot

Scott wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message

First time with SRAM rear derailleurs and they sure look different than
Shimano XTR. With Shimano you loop the cable around and through the back.
With SRAM it's through the front and I can't make a loop without it
sticking three feet out the side of the bike. So, is the cable supposed
to not loop? It seems to shift fine.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

So what do you think of the derailure? Is it rapid rise?

Well, still not done with the build. Testing it though it seems to be
more on the mark than XTR. I still have to get used to the one finger
push-push x.9 shifters. I don't know if it is rapid rise because I do
not think they make different versions other than cage length. It seems
more responsive and lighter than XTR. I also like the "no loop" cable.
I always screwed up the length of that in the past.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old December 22nd 04, 03:20 AM
Scott

"Michael Dart" wrote in message
I've seen too many X.0 derailleurs self destruct however. The pully cage
separates from the knuckle easily.

Mike

What do you recommend for a good DH rear derailer? My friends seem to going
with road bike derailers (Slacker even mentioned that in the past too).

Old December 22nd 04, 03:22 AM
Scott

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
I also like the "no loop" cable. I always screwed up the length of that
in the past.

True dat! Only on my last 2 builds did I get the right length the first
time.

Old December 22nd 04, 03:38 AM
Scott

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote in message
I had a Shimano 105 (road) short cage on my Tazer, when I did that sort of
thing.Interesting.

How did you like it and by "that sort of thing" I take that you mean you
were riding 4x races?

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
new sram cassette-fitting question Gadgetfreaky2k UK 7 March 6th 04 01:05 PM
BMX question brings up unicycling U-Turn Unicycling 9 January 13th 04 07:40 AM
tourer question Spencer Bullen UK 5 August 6th 03 12:28 PM
SRAM PC58 - Campy Chorus 8 Speed Question jmk Techniques 7 July 28th 03 10:16 PM