For Frank to find the vehicle sensors.

Old November 10th 14, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default For Frank to find the vehicle sensors.

On 11/10/2014 11:00 AM, Phil W Lee wrote:
Frank Krygowski considered Sun, 09 Nov 2014
20:19:58 -0500 the perfect time to write:

On 11/9/2014 5:12 PM, James wrote:
On 09/11/14 11:28, Frank Krygowski wrote:

What I really meant about complexity was, if that's what it takes, my
hopes are slim for detecting a loop's location using simple hardware.

Yes, I know that device does a lot more than detect. But still...

Perhaps you could use it hand held to find and mark the sweat spot over
the sensor coil?

Yes, it looks like it would certainly do that job. But as I posted
elsewhere, the main intersection that _really_ needed that marking has
been upgraded just a week or so ago. It now uses a camera to detect
traffic, and seems to detect bikes just fine.

If the product becomes available despite its funding failure, I may get
one anyway, assuming the price is not exorbitant.

Here in the UK, the lights with loop detectors are mostly ok, but less
effective at detecting cycles if you don't use the sweet spot on the
coil. That's fine when it's recently laid, as the sealed cuts in the
road surface are easily visible.
Then some £$% comes along and sprays tar on the road and rolls
chippings over the top, and you can't see the coil any more.

That's precisely the problem I was hoping to solve. As I said, the
worst intersection I know has been taken care of by a camera system.
But a related problem is that most cyclists here don't understand that a
sweet spot even exists. Marks would be valuable on most intersections,
at least if explained with signage.

The cunning trick is to mark the distance to the sweet spot on the
kerb, directly alongside said spot, before they come and "dress" the
surface. Then you can come along and mark the spot back again.
Unfortunately, owing to rather strict regulations on who is allowed to
erect road signs or put markings on the road surface, this activity
has to be conducted at night, and ideally with a lookout.
Councils won't mark the sweet spot, because there is no approved
marking in the official regulations.

Here, we do have an approved pavement icon plus an approved sign to
explain it.

Also, there seems to be little concern about unauthorized pavement
markings. I've put down hundreds of "Dan Henry Arrows" (as they were
once called in the U.S.) to mark the routes of our club's annual century
ride. Never had a complaint.

I'm still undecided about whether to embark on a program of unauthorized
marking, or to ask officials to do it more properly. I suppose now the
decision will wait until spring.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 10th 14, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, November 9, 2014 8:20:10 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/9/2014 5:12 PM, James wrote:
On 09/11/14 11:28, Frank Krygowski wrote:

What I really meant about complexity was, if that's what it takes, my
hopes are slim for detecting a loop's location using simple hardware.

Yes, I know that device does a lot more than detect. But still...

Perhaps you could use it hand held to find and mark the sweat spot over
the sensor coil?

Yes, it looks like it would certainly do that job. But as I posted
elsewhere, the main intersection that _really_ needed that marking has
been upgraded just a week or so ago. It now uses a camera to detect
traffic, and seems to detect bikes just fine.

If the product becomes available despite its funding failure, I may get
one anyway, assuming the price is not exorbitant.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I TOLD YOU THAT SEVERAL WEEKS AGO