Newby question. Mtb into commuter bike

Old July 30th 03, 12:29 PM
rh

Default Newby question. Mtb into commuter bike

I have recently started riding my old trek 950 mtb to work. My problem is
speed.
In areas where Im really cranking slightly downhill I run out of gear. My
top gear is too slow. I believe I have normal mountain bike gears. Could
I switch the gears for smaller or faster gears. If so any ideas?

I know that I should switch to some slick tires for my 26" rims. Is there
anything else I can do to improve speed?

Thanks

Old July 30th 03, 12:58 PM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:29:56 +0200, "rh" wrote:

I have recently started riding my old trek 950 mtb to work. My problem is
speed.
In areas where Im really cranking slightly downhill I run out of gear. My
top gear is too slow. I believe I have normal mountain bike gears. Could
I switch the gears for smaller or faster gears. If so any ideas?

Probably.

A while back I switched an 22-30-42 crankset out in favor of a
48-38-28 on a commuter MTB. The extra six teeth on the big ring made
a huge differentiae, and the overall combination created with this set
made for a nice package. The 48 tooth set was an older Coda model
that I picked up from a catalog "blowout sale" for $20. It fit right
on my existing bottom bracket.

The only limiting factor is your front der having enough room to move
high enough to clear the larger ring set. If you can slide the der
up, you can probably do it. You may need a new cable and a new chain
as well.

Barry
Old July 30th 03, 02:43 PM
Super Slinky

rh said...

I have recently started riding my old trek 950 mtb to work. My problem is
speed.
In areas where Im really cranking slightly downhill I run out of gear. My
top gear is too slow. I believe I have normal mountain bike gears. Could
I switch the gears for smaller or faster gears. If so any ideas?

I know that I should switch to some slick tires for my 26" rims. Is there
anything else I can do to improve speed?

Thanks

Check to see if you have an 11t on the small cog in the rear. Yours may
be a 12t or larger. 44t on the large chainring is common today. You may
have a 42t. Going from 42/12 to 44/11 would take you from 3.5:1 to 4:1.
I noticed that at least some XTR (big $) chainrings are 46t. Maybe there
are others. You will have to change your crank if you can't find a
proper chainring replacement. I have heard of some people installing
road cranks to get their commuting speed up. I can sustain more than
20mph on flat ground with a 44/11. That's good enough for me, but if you
want to go as fast as possible, maybe you could sell your bike and get a
used road bike. Maybe somebody would like to trade.

Another question on Yakima Bighorn bike carrier, hitchmount, 1.25, 4 bike capacity. tryitoz Joe Donaldson General 1 March 22nd 04 10:46 PM
Commuter Bike Choice igloo General 3 January 9th 04 07:46 AM
How old were you when you got your first really nice bike? Brink General 43 November 13th 03 11:49 AM
Impressed by "Novice" bike commuter MP General 30 October 12th 03 07:31 AM
Glacier Point Magna 26" Bike Repair Question sandy Mountain Biking 8 July 21st 03 02:21 PM