Good road frame to build up with Nexus Hub

Old January 8th 07, 09:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Unreliable Narrator

Default Good road frame to build up with Nexus Hub

i saw sheldon's San Jos8
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bianc...os8/index.html and started
thinking of doing a drop-bar tourer with internal hub...any suggestions
on frames/inexpensive bikes which can be retrofitted (or even better, a
turnkey solution)? $$500-600 max, not counting the hub and wheels
please--no rivendells, please (unless you've got one super-cheap ;-)

looks like the big issues are horizontal dropouts and spacing, the
dropouts being negotiable with anti-rotation washers and a chain
tensioner (?). the spacing on the inter-8 is 132mm and the inter-3 is
120mm. i might do the 3 to ease the pain when it gets stolen }-D

the bianch sj (~600 for bike) is one option

i'm also looking at raleigh's one-way (haven't gotten dealer quote
yet--listed as $$$ (400-700) on raleigh site)

http://www.raleighusa.com/items.asp?deptid=5&itemid=349

surley's steamroller (~400-450 for frame and fork--needs everything
else)

http://www.surlybikes.com/steamroller.html

and maybe redlines 925 (~500 for bike)

http://www.redlinebicycles.com/adultbikes/925.html

van dessell has a nice one speed, but it's out of my budget

only have spacing on the surly (120), but I'd assume all of these bikes
would need cold setting if iwent with a nexus 8....i'd also probably
need to do something to get the stem a little higher, except on the
bianchi

chris

Old January 8th 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

You might consider an IRO Rob Roy frame:

http://tinyurl.com/yem2hs

132.5mm dropout spacing, horizontal dropouts (track ends) and rack and
fender mounts.

I have one that I use as a fixed gear commuter bike.

Old January 9th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 08 Jan 2007 13:42:16 -0800, Unreliable Narrator wrote:

i saw sheldon's San Jos8
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bianc...os8/index.html and started
thinking of doing a drop-bar tourer with internal hub...any suggestions
on frames/inexpensive bikes which can be retrofitted (or even better, a
turnkey solution)? $$500-600 max, not counting the hub and wheels
please--no rivendells, please (unless you've got one super-cheap ;-)

I think the design of the Nexus is set up for older road frames, where the
idea of "horizontal dropouts" is angled down at the front. The
Steamroller or other fixed-gear bikes will have a truly horizontal end,
which will cant the works of the Nexus at the wrong angle. It is
possible to use these, but better to use a traditional road frame.

Scads of these frames are available used. Cheap.

Spacing is not a problem as long as you stick with steel.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |
Old January 9th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Unreliable Narrator wrote:
i saw sheldon's San Jos8
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bianc...os8/index.html and started
thinking of doing a drop-bar tourer with internal hub...any suggestions
on frames/inexpensive bikes which can be retrofitted (or even better, a
turnkey solution)? $$500-600 max,

The Urbanite touring bike has perfect semi-horizontal drops for an
internal hub. Frame and fork are 360USD with todays rate + duty +
shipping. Full braze-ons, pretty chrome fork, traditional cromo. Looks
to be the business for what you're planning. 132.5 spacing, btw.

http://ucycle.com/bikes/item.php?nam...r&cat=urbanite

They're in Toronto.

Old January 9th 07, 01:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sheldon Brown

David L. Johnson wrote:

I think the design of the Nexus is set up for older road frames, where the
idea of "horizontal dropouts" is angled down at the front. The
Steamroller or other fixed-gear bikes will have a truly horizontal end,
which will cant the works of the Nexus at the wrong angle. It is
possible to use these, but better to use a traditional road frame.

Actually, that's not a real problem. Shimano makes 4 different color
coded pairs of anti-rotation washers to provide correct cable
orientation with different drop out angles.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shima....html#vertical for
details

I own two bikes with Nexus 8-speeds:

·My Raleigh International has traditional slanted "horizontal"
dropouts http://sheldonbrown.com/raleigh-international

·My IRO Jamie Roy has atavistic level rear-opening "track style"
forkends http://sheldonbrown.com/iro

Both work just fine, thought the Raleigh gave a much nicer ride until I
converted the IRO to 584 mm (650 B) wheels.

Sheldon "Neck's Us" Brown
| Love at its best means marriage, and it is |
| altogether the most beautiful thing in life |
| -- William Dean Howells |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old January 10th 07, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Unreliable Narrator

David L. Johnson wrote:
[....]It is
possible to use these, but better to use a traditional road frame.

Scads of these frames are available used. Cheap.

you have an e-mail address at lehigh...have a name of a good used bike
shop in se pa? i sometimes pass through when i'm visiting my people in
scranton. i'm hesitant to get involved with ebay and craigs list.

Old January 10th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Hobson

Unreliable Narrator wrote:
i saw sheldon's San Jos8
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/bianc...os8/index.html and started
thinking of doing a drop-bar tourer with internal hub...any suggestions
on frames/inexpensive bikes which can be retrofitted (or even better, a
turnkey solution)? $$500-600 max, not counting the hub and wheels
please--no rivendells, please (unless you've got one super-cheap ;-)

looks like the big issues are horizontal dropouts and spacing, the
dropouts being negotiable with anti-rotation washers and a chain
tensioner (?). the spacing on the inter-8 is 132mm and the inter-3 is
120mm. i might do the 3 to ease the pain when it gets stolen }-D

http://www.surlybikes.com/steamroller.html

I think the cross-check would serve you better.
http://www.surlybikes.com/crosscheck.html
"Our Gnot-rite spacing (132.5mm) allows you to run 130mm road hubs and
135mm MTB hubs"
Old January 10th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 09 Jan 2007 18:26:49 -0800, Unreliable Narrator wrote:

David L. Johnson wrote:
[....]It is
possible to use these, but better to use a traditional road frame.

Scads of these frames are available used. Cheap.

you have an e-mail address at lehigh...have a name of a good used bike
shop in se pa? i sometimes pass through when i'm visiting my people in
scranton. i'm hesitant to get involved with ebay and craigs list.

One place I know of is Neighborhood Bike Works in Philadelphia (at
around 36th street near Penn). What they do is re-hab bikes for
neighborhood kids (the kids actually do much of the work, to earn their
bike), but I think they also sell some things to get real money.

Other than that the used-bike market tends to be very random. Classified
ads, Goodwill-type stores, and junk dealers are where you usually see used
bikes. There is a place on Church Lane near the old Rte 100 (now
Trexlertown Road) in Trexlertown, but I've never been interested in what I
saw there.

Actually, Trexlertown brings up the real suggestion: flea markets.
T-town (lvvelo.org I think) now has flea markets 3 times per year, with the
one in the Fall being the best. There is one in winter in Westminster, MD
that has a lot of stuff as well, and some good prices. The Westminster
swap meet should be in a month or so. Here it is; Feb 4:
http://www.stopswapandsave.com/swap_meet.html If you know what you want
you can get a real bargain at these events -- most of the components on my
bikes came from these things.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]
Old January 10th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Unreliable Narrator

David L. Johnson wrote (quoting me):
have a name of a good used bike shop in se pa?

Actually, Trexlertown brings up the real suggestion: flea markets.

[...]
If you know what you want
you can get a real bargain at these events -- most of the components on my
bikes came from these things.

thanks for the info. regardless of what i end up doing vis my instant
purchase, i'll try to check at least one of those out. i'm sure
they're interesting even if you don't end up finding what you were
looking for.

thinking about it it's surprising some enterprising soul doesn't use
the wachovia race as an excuse for a flea market. there are tens of
thousands of potential customers just in the area from logan circle to
the museum. i used to live on the parkway in philly and the only
people selling stuff were the sponsors and food trucks. i always found
the whole thing a little boring--there's a lot of waiting between laps
when nothing's going on.

chris

Old January 10th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 13:11:08 -0800, Unreliable Narrator wrote:

thinking about it it's surprising some enterprising soul doesn't use
the wachovia race as an excuse for a flea market. there are tens of
thousands of potential customers just in the area from logan circle to
the museum. i used to live on the parkway in philly and the only
people selling stuff were the sponsors and food trucks. i always found
the whole thing a little boring--there's a lot of waiting between laps
when nothing's going on.

BCP has had a swap meet in that general time-frame, but the day of the race
there is no space available at the sort of rates a swap meet could support.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's be straight here. If we find something we can't
_`\(,_ | understand we like to call it something you can't understand, or
(_)/ (_) | indeed even pronounce. -- Douglas Adams