Ride an SUB not an SUV

Old March 7th 07, 04:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default Bicycles run on banana

"The Greasecar Vegetable Oil Conversion System is an auxiliary fuel
modification system that allows all diesel vehicles to run on straight
vegetable oil in any climate. Your Greasecar kit comes with everything
you need to convert your diesel vehicle to run on vegetable oil."

http://www.greasecar.com/index.cfm

Next thing they will make them run on banana. Bicycles run on banana
and water for a good while.

Old March 7th 07, 05:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
donquijote1954

Default Ride an SUB not an SUV

On Mar 6, 7:54 pm, "Baxter" wrote:
-
Free software - Baxter Codeworks www.baxcode.com

"George Conklin" wrote in message

hlink.net...

Actually a SUV would use about the same fuel as a current transit bus.

And carries a lot fewer passengers.

SUVs usually carry few people with big egos. The product of...

"We are all raised in an aggressive, competitive, egotistical society
[read SUVs], and these attitudes are not left behind. Cooperation can
be difficult [read buses].

Human beings are genetically designed to live in small groups where
group members are vitally significant to each other. Part of the
alienation and unhappiness in society is because family units are too
small [capitalist jungle], and other groupings too large [read
communist herd]."

http://www.mudsmith.net/moora/

This confirms what I've saying all along. Neither individualist jungle
nor herd are the best life for social monkeys. They would be inclined
to bikes and buses.

Old March 7th 07, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Doc O'Leary

In article tvhHh.1238775$1T2.970412@pd7urf2no,
"nash" wrote:

Well, actually, people choose to live close to their needs like school,
work, shopping, dentist. You chose not to.

It's also that urban planning in most cases makes automobiles the
preferred way to go long distances. There is pavement all over the
place but, as a result, no real transit corridors. It's a tragic case
of "water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink".

--
My personal UDP list: 127.0.0.1, 4ax.com, buzzardnews.com, googlegroups.com,
heapnode.com, localhost, x-privat.org
Old March 7th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dane Buson

Default Ride an BUS not an SUV

In rec.bicycles.misc Bill Baka wrote:
Dane Buson wrote:

Hmm, I'll have to tell the van pool people at my work
whiter-than-white-collar job that they can't possibly be getting to
work that way. It must be teleportation. I'll have to ask them how
they do that.

Must be magic. I can't imagine 2 or more executive types stuck in a
car with each other for more than 2 minutes without an argument
breaking out.

I'm not sure if there are any executives involved. Programmers, QA
people, other similar people AFAIK. Of course one of the guys involved
Vanpools because he lives on Bainbridge island and commutes to Bellevue
for work. Two hours each way. His house is nice and all, but I still
think he is completely nuts.

But at least he can read for most of the trip instead of being stuck
driving a car.

Errr, now this part I don't get. Why do you need to leave a car at
home?

A small car for personal short errands? Bill Baka

/scratches head

I thought that that's what the Xtracycle is for?

/looks quizically at the audience

--
Dane Buson -
"Humor is a drug which it's the fashion to abuse."
Old March 7th 07, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
George Conklin wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message
.. .
George Conklin wrote:
"Bill Baka" wrote in message
t...
Gas is going to have to hit $3 a gallon and stay there for the soccer
mom crowd to realize they need a little Geo-Metro 3 banger just to run
to the store for a pack of smokes, or some **** paper or other silly
little errand. People are slow learners.
Bill Baka
It would need to more like $6 for anything much to happen. And
besides,
people will always use their cars for shopping even if they take
transit

work, for no fuel savings, but then the bill goes to the public in
terms

of
subsidized fares.

Yeah,
The wallet forces people to make changes with less griping than any law
ever has. What's wrong with carpooling and soccer-momming an SUV and
using a toy car like the Geo for actual commuting?

Car pooling works only for workers who have a factory whistle to
attend
to. White collar workers don't work those kind of fixed hours. Further,
you
need to have a car to leave at home if you car pool. The law is set up
make sure it fails.

Last year I worked a contract job with a friend of mine and we rode
together in his Kia SUV/truck/4X4 and saved about 1/3 of the gas we would
have used by driving separately. This was only due to his Kia getting 25
MPG and my Mazda getting 33 MPG. He is 6'8" tall and physically couldn't
fit in my Mazda, so there was a good reason to take his bigger Kia.

Some of these people
are so brain dead they say they can't afford 2 cars. HUH! They can
afford the gas and the average $30G's for an SUV, so why not $14,000 for
a new micro-car or even less for a used one?

Not suitable for car pooling anyway.

Even 2 people in a small car is a car pool, plus working at the same place
gives you a big edge. If the boss knows you ride together he also knows if
he pulls the overtime trick on one of us he will have to pay overtime to
the other for sticking around. At least that is how me and my over sized
friend did it.

Of course about 20% of Americans still smoke and about half drink
alcohol, not to mention the drug users, and they know it's bad for them
but they do it anyway.
I guess you can't argue with idiots, especially if they think they have
enough money to waste on those things.
Sigh.
Bill Baka

Actually drinking is good for you.

After 5 minutes in this group I need one.
Bill Baka

I would have to agree with you on that.
Zen

Old March 7th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
nash

Default fewer vehicles out there to feed traffic jams

"George Conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"George Conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...
These fake comparison compare a full bus with car with only the driver.
If
both were full, in transit service they would again be equal.
Long-distance
buses, NEVER trains, yield the biggest savings. But no one wants to

hear
what works. I know there are many train foamers, no bus foamers.

I have never noticed busses being dirtier than trains.

According to the EPA, current trains are vastly polluting, much more so
than
buses.

What are they running on coal? I thought they were electric.

Old March 7th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Dane Buson

In rec.bicycles.misc Daryl Hunt wrote:

But I doubt if electric vehicles will bust many grids since the recharging
takes less than a normal lightbulb. Mine takes about 2 to 5 amp per hour.
That's many times less than a light bulb and about the same as a decent
clock radio.

Nitpick: What in the world are you using for lightbulbs? 2-5 amps at
110v means you're using 220-550 watt bulbs. Lighting up a lot of
stadiums are we? And of course, an additional thought is that I thought
a lot of the car chargers run on 220v, but 110v. Which would make for
440-1100 watts.

A better tack to take is that car charging could easily take place at
off-peak hours.

--
Dane Buson -
"Protecting the children is a good way to get a lot of adults
Old March 7th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
George Conklin

"nash" wrote in message

"George Conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Amy Blankenship" wrote in message

"George Conklin" wrote in message
ink.net...
These fake comparison compare a full bus with car with only the

driver.
If
both were full, in transit service they would again be equal.
Long-distance
buses, NEVER trains, yield the biggest savings. But no one wants to

hear
what works. I know there are many train foamers, no bus foamers.

I have never noticed busses being dirtier than trains.

According to the EPA, current trains are vastly polluting, much more so
than
buses.

What are they running on coal? I thought they were electric.

\
Diesel engines currently in use by trains are horribly polluting.

Old March 8th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ,
Bill Baka wrote:

Anything which makes a bus more efficient would make a car even more
efficient than the bus. Right now transit buses waste fuel big time.

Only if nobody rides them.

But you have to have the near-empty runs or the system becomes
less useful overall -- and as a result ridership goes down even on the
popular runs.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old March 8th 07, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.autos.driving,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides
Matthew T. Russotto

In article ,
Bill Baka wrote:

Gas is going to have to hit $3 a gallon and stay there for the soccer
mom crowd to realize they need a little Geo-Metro 3 banger just to run
to the store for a pack of smokes, or some **** paper or other silly
little errand. People are slow learners.

Your soccer mom (and husband or perhaps ex-) is paying a mortgage on a
$500,000+ McMansion, has two or more car payments, is paying
for private tutoring or private school for some number of her
offspring, probably private soccer lessons as well, and possibly
college for the older ones. $3 gas is lost in the noise.

result in a fully-depreciated one.