Unlacing a wheel: risks?

Old September 3rd 09, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Gone Fishin'

Default Unlacing a wheel: risks?

Is there any risk of warping a rim or such if I'm removing spokes from a
wheel, completely? I need to swap rims between wheelsets, so the bad rim I
don't care about, but the "donor" rim, well, how careful do I have to be when
unlacing it?

Thanks.

Old September 3rd 09, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On Sep 3, 6:39*am, Gone Fishin' wrote:
Is there any risk of warping a rim or such if I'm removing spokes from a
wheel, completely? I need to swap rims between wheelsets, so the bad rim I
don't care about, but the "donor" rim, well, how careful do I have to be when
unlacing it?

Thanks.

Lessen the tension slowly all around, shouldn't hurt the rim.
Old September 3rd 09, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 3 Sep, 13:39, Gone Fishin' wrote:
Is there any risk of warping a rim or such if I'm removing spokes from a
wheel, completely? I need to swap rims between wheelsets, so the bad rim I
don't care about, but the "donor" rim, well, how careful do I have to be when
unlacing it?

Release a nipple fully (do not remove) and count seven on the same
side, repeat until each nipple has been released. Now with all
tension removed remove all the nipples consecutively. No quicker
safe way without clamping the rim. Unless you snip the spokes using
the seven rule. Dont know, Never done it.
Old September 3rd 09, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

P. Chisholm wrote:
On Sep 3, 6:39 am, Gone Fishin' wrote:
Is there any risk of warping a rim or such if I'm removing spokes from a
wheel, completely? I need to swap rims between wheelsets, so the bad rim I
don't care about, but the "donor" rim, well, how careful do I have to be when
unlacing it?

Thanks.

Lessen the tension slowly all around, shouldn't hurt the rim.

I've always wondered: is this true (no pun intended), as in required, or
just urban legend?
Old September 3rd 09, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jim beam[_5_]

z wrote:
P. Chisholm wrote:
On Sep 3, 6:39 am, Gone Fishin' wrote:
Is there any risk of warping a rim or such if I'm removing spokes from a
wheel, completely? I need to swap rims between wheelsets, so the bad
rim I
don't care about, but the "donor" rim, well, how careful do I have to
be when
unlacing it?

Thanks.

Lessen the tension slowly all around, shouldn't hurt the rim.

I've always wondered: is this true (no pun intended), as in required, or
just urban legend?

you don't know? c'mon buddy, you seem to know everything else.
Old September 3rd 09, 03:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
raamman

On Sep 3, 9:42*am, jim beam wrote:
z wrote:
P. Chisholm wrote:
On Sep 3, 6:39 am, Gone Fishin' wrote:
Is there any risk of warping a rim or such if I'm removing spokes from a
wheel, completely? I need to swap rims between wheelsets, so the bad
rim I
don't care about, but the "donor" rim, well, how careful do I have to
be when
unlacing it?

Thanks.

Lessen the tension slowly all around, shouldn't hurt the rim.

I've always wondered: is this true (no pun intended), as in required, or
just urban legend?

you don't know? *c'mon buddy, you seem to know everything else.- Hide quoted text -

maybe someone is coming to grips with the limitations of his own
reality
Old September 3rd 09, 03:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 3 Sep, 14:29, someone wrote:
On 3 Sep, 13:39, Gone Fishin' wrote:

Is there any risk of warping a rim or such if I'm removing spokes from a
wheel, completely? I need to swap rims between wheelsets, so the bad rim I
don't care about, but the "donor" rim, well, how careful do I have to be when
unlacing it?

Release a nipple fully (do not remove) and count seven on the same
side, repeat until each nipple has been released. *Now with all
tension removed remove all the nipples consecutively. * No quicker
safe way without clamping the rim. *Unless you snip the spokes using
the seven rule. *Dont know, Never done it.

If the spokes arn't silly jobstian tight in the first place then you
can just snip all the spokes with mini bolt croppers at their
crossings using a diagonal sequence working one side first.
Old September 4th 09, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
_[_2_]

On Thu, 3 Sep 2009 05:39:43 -0700, Gone Fishin' wrote:

Is there any risk of warping a rim or such if I'm removing spokes from a
wheel, completely? I need to swap rims between wheelsets, so the bad rim I
don't care about, but the "donor" rim, well, how careful do I have to be when
unlacing it?

Two I can think of:

a) rust-frozen spoke breaks as you force the nipple, releasing it with
speed in the direction of your eye. Don't look at 'em, keep the rim strip
on.

b) freewheel tricky to remove after the rim is unlaced; do that first.

Old September 4th 09, 01:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
P. Chisholm

On Sep 3, 7:31*am, z wrote:
P. Chisholm wrote:
On Sep 3, 6:39 am, Gone Fishin' wrote:
Is there any risk of warping a rim or such if I'm removing spokes from a
wheel, completely? I need to swap rims between wheelsets, so the bad rim I
don't care about, but the "donor" rim, well, how careful do I have to be when
unlacing it?

Thanks.

Lessen the tension slowly all around, shouldn't hurt the rim.

I've always wondered: is this true (no pun intended), as in required, or
just urban legend?

Taking the tension off helps to preserve the rim and also prevent
flange demolition if ya just cut the fully tensioned spokes out.