Bottom Brackets

Old April 30th 11, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
J. D. Slocomb

Default Bottom Brackets

I am in the process of replacing the bottom bracket in the old bike
that I acquired. The BB I removed was a UNxx type and after apparently
having been installed for years was extremely difficult to remove - 6
ft. extension, two people holding the frame, etc., and the R.H.
threaded collar was actually partially pulled off the tube body. I'd
prefer to avoid that if the situation repeats itself.

I've heard of using plumber's Teflon tape and of course there are
various sorts of grease, anti seize, etc.

Can anyone tell me the best method of preventing the re-installed BB
from freezing in place?

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)
Old April 30th 11, 01:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 30-4-2011 11:18, J. D. Slocomb schreef:

I am in the process of replacing the bottom bracket in the old bike
that I acquired. The BB I removed was a UNxx type and after apparently
having been installed for years was extremely difficult to remove - 6
ft. extension, two people holding the frame, etc., and the R.H.
threaded collar was actually partially pulled off the tube body. I'd
prefer to avoid that if the situation repeats itself.

I've heard of using plumber's Teflon tape and of course there are
various sorts of grease, anti seize, etc.

Can anyone tell me the best method of preventing the re-installed BB
from freezing in place?

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)

Apply anti seize and repeat that once in a while. Torque to spec.

Lou
Old April 30th 11, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Apr 30, 5:18*am, J. D. Slocomb wrote:
I am in the process of replacing the bottom bracket in the old bike
that I acquired. The BB I removed was a UNxx type and after apparently
having been installed for years was extremely difficult to remove - 6
ft. extension, two people holding the frame, etc., and the R.H.
threaded collar was actually partially pulled off the tube body. I'd
prefer to avoid that if the situation repeats itself.

I've heard of using plumber's Teflon tape and of course there are
various sorts of grease, anti seize, etc.

Can anyone tell me the best method of preventing the re-installed BB
from freezing in place?

If you ask for the "best" method, you'll probably get nothing but wild
guesses. I doubt anyone has tried all the possibilities and compared
them in an equal, unbiased manner.

You want, instead, an adequate method. I've used teflon tape and I've
used commercial anti-seize compound. Both worked adequately for me.
The third method I'd be willing to try would be low-strength thread
locker (Loctite or equivalent) but I'd probably try that only on a
fixed cup.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 30th 11, 06:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 30-4-2011 18:15, Frank Krygowski schreef:
On Apr 30, 5:18 am, J. D. wrote:
[...]

Just use anti seize and torque to spec. Donīt leave it for 20 years.
Reapply every now and then, lets say every 2 years.
Donīt over analyse it. It is not rocket science. Loctite is no good.
When torqued to spec it is gone were it matters.

Lou

Old April 30th 11, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

J. D. Slocomb wrote:
I am in the process of replacing the bottom bracket in the old bike
that I acquired. The BB I removed was a UNxx type and after apparently
having been installed for years was extremely difficult to remove - 6
ft. extension, two people holding the frame, etc., and the R.H.
threaded collar was actually partially pulled off the tube body. I'd
prefer to avoid that if the situation repeats itself.

I've heard of using plumber's Teflon tape and of course there are
various sorts of grease, anti seize, etc.

Can anyone tell me the best method of preventing the re-installed BB
from freezing in place?

We like antiseize paste. You don't need the 'hi temp'
variety although any of the various products would be useful.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 1st 11, 12:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
J. D. Slocomb

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:00:28 +0200, Lou Holtman
wrote:

Op 30-4-2011 11:18, J. D. Slocomb schreef:

I am in the process of replacing the bottom bracket in the old bike
that I acquired. The BB I removed was a UNxx type and after apparently
having been installed for years was extremely difficult to remove - 6
ft. extension, two people holding the frame, etc., and the R.H.
threaded collar was actually partially pulled off the tube body. I'd
prefer to avoid that if the situation repeats itself.

I've heard of using plumber's Teflon tape and of course there are
various sorts of grease, anti seize, etc.

Can anyone tell me the best method of preventing the re-installed BB
from freezing in place?

Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)

Apply anti seize and repeat that once in a while. Torque to spec.

Lou

Do you mean remove the BB periodically and re-apply anti seize and
then reinstall?
Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)
Old May 1st 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
J. D. Slocomb

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 14:18:36 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

J. D. Slocomb wrote:
I am in the process of replacing the bottom bracket in the old bike
that I acquired. The BB I removed was a UNxx type and after apparently
having been installed for years was extremely difficult to remove - 6
ft. extension, two people holding the frame, etc., and the R.H.
threaded collar was actually partially pulled off the tube body. I'd
prefer to avoid that if the situation repeats itself.

I've heard of using plumber's Teflon tape and of course there are
various sorts of grease, anti seize, etc.

Can anyone tell me the best method of preventing the re-installed BB
from freezing in place?

We like antiseize paste. You don't need the 'hi temp'
variety although any of the various products would be useful.

Thanks.
Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)
Old May 1st 11, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
J. D. Slocomb

On Sat, 30 Apr 2011 09:15:14 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

An interesting comment. I had, in the past installed stainless
hardware on aluminum boat parts, a notorious corrosion problem, using
an adhesive sealant for want of anything better at the moment. Several
years later I had occasion to remove the fittings and found no
corrosion.

I had not thought of this in reference to a BB but your comment about
thread locker brought it to mind.
Cheers,

John D. Slocomb
(jdslocombatgmail)
Old May 1st 11, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Apr 30, 1:41*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
Loctite is no good.
When torqued to spec it is gone were it matters.

Anaerobic threadlockers like Loctite operate partly as adhesives, but
also by filling the clearance gap between male and female threads with
a solid (their catalyzed plastic). This tends to prevent lateral
motion of the male thread within the female thread. Any lateral
motion in mating threads causes the threads to rotate microscopically
in the "downhill" or unscrewing direction.

When you take apart a thread assembly that's been Loctited, you can
see the solid Loctite. It doesn't go anywhere; it stays between the
threads, taking up clearance.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 1st 11, 12:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 1-5-2011 3:38, Frank Krygowski schreef:
On Apr 30, 1:41 pm, Lou wrote:
Loctite is no good.
When torqued to spec it is gone were it matters.

Anaerobic threadlockers like Loctite operate partly as adhesives, but
also by filling the clearance gap between male and female threads with
a solid (their catalyzed plastic). This tends to prevent lateral
motion of the male thread within the female thread. Any lateral
motion in mating threads causes the threads to rotate microscopically
in the "downhill" or unscrewing direction.

When you take apart a thread assembly that's been Loctited, you can
see the solid Loctite. It doesn't go anywhere; it stays between the
threads, taking up clearance.

- Frank Krygowski

So it is still not a anti seize. There is no loctite in the places where
it matters when you torque it with 70 Nm. Use antiseize. Works better,
easier and cheaper.

Lou

Bottom brackets, etc. HDGuzzi Techniques 7 April 29th 08 09:25 PM
Bottom brackets Finlay Mackay UK 8 August 11th 07 06:14 PM
Token bottom brackets Ernie Techniques 17 May 24th 07 01:32 PM
What's With Bottom Brackets? [email protected] Techniques 8 June 22nd 06 09:07 PM
WTB: Bottom brackets Dave Thompson Marketplace 1 December 20th 04 03:16 PM