Bike Ride Pictures: Sequoia Century Worker's Ride (200k, w/variations), June 2005

Old June 19th 05, 03:31 PM
Bill Bushnell

Default Bike Ride Pictures: Sequoia Century Worker's Ride (200k, w/variations), June 2005

The Sequoia Century is held each year the first Sunday in June by the
Western Wheelers. One week after the event, a supported ride is held
for the benefit of the workers, those of us who support the ride.

This year I rode the 200k route with a few modifications: I started and
ended from home instead of the Palo Alto VA, and I stopped for lunch in
Santa Cruz instead of riding the climb up Rodeo Gulch. The route as I
rode it on this day is shown in frame one.

I climbed up CA9 from Saratoga to Saratoga Gap followed by the short
climb over the Castle Rock Summit and then the long undulating descent
past Black, Gist, and Bear Creek Roads to the CA17 overpass. I
continued southeast past the Summit Store, onto Highland Way, and then
down the beautiful Eureka Canyon descent into Corralitos.

From Corralitos I rode west over the short hills past Pleasant Valley,
Day Valley, and Valencia Roads before joining Soquel Drive for the ride
into Santa Cruz.

After I picked up lunch in Santa Cruz I headed north on Emeline Rd. and
El Rancho Rd. where I rejoined the official route of La Madrona, Sims,
Brooknoll, Treetop, Graham Hill, and Pipeline Roads.

After a taking a short break in Henry Cowell Redwoods I continued to the
park exit to CA9 then through Felton and north on Zayante Rds. (East and
Upper) to Summit Rd. At Summit Rd. I returned up the undulating climb
over Castle Rock Summit and continued to Page Mill Rd. before descending
toward home.

(124.3 miles; 10000 feet climbing)

http://tinyurl.com/d66bw

Note: My DSL Bridge went wobbly on me for the last few days--up for 15
seconds, down for 20, but I have installed new hardware that has
restored a consistent connection. You may now wish to view last week's
album, First Half of Mr. Bill's, if you tried unsuccessfully over the
last few days.

http://tinyurl.com/an48n

--
Bill Bushnell