Which Peter?

Old January 16th 07, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Default Which Peter?

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/reclaimtheroads/
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to fine motorists who
still drive when there a public transport alternative is available.

Come on own up.

Martin.
Old January 17th 07, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Martin Dann said the following on 16/01/2007 22:22:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/reclaimtheroads/
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to fine motorists who
still drive when there a public transport alternative is available.

Nice one! I've given up signing these though because they seemed to
have stopped sending me the confirmation emails. Even when I did
confirm, my name never seemed to appear.

Typical government website, I suppose.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old January 17th 07, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
MJ Ray

Paul Boyd usenet.dont.work@plusnet
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/reclaimtheroads/

Nice one! I've given up signing these though because they seemed to
have stopped sending me the confirmation emails. Even when I did
confirm, my name never seemed to appear.

Try asking - if it bounces for some reason,
pass it to me and I'll resend. Posting complaints semi-anonymously to
usenet just won't work as well.

Regards,
--
MJR/slef

Old January 17th 07, 03:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dan Gregory

Paul Boyd wrote:
Martin Dann said the following on 16/01/2007 22:22:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/reclaimtheroads/
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to fine motorists who
still drive when there a public transport alternative is available.

Nice one! I've given up signing these though because they seemed to
have stopped sending me the confirmation emails. Even when I did
confirm, my name never seemed to appear.

Typical government website, I suppose.

This one works ....

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Cycles-on-Trains/
Old January 17th 07, 03:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ambrose Nankivell

Dan Gregory wrote:
Paul Boyd wrote:
Martin Dann said the following on 16/01/2007 22:22:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/reclaimtheroads/
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to fine motorists who
still drive when there a public transport alternative is available.

Nice one! I've given up signing these though because they seemed to
have stopped sending me the confirmation emails. Even when I did
confirm, my name never seemed to appear.

Typical government website, I suppose.

This one works ....

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Cycles-on-Trains/

I disagree with that. Not the compulsory provision bit, but the free bit. I
genuinely fail to see why people making routine journeys should be able to
take up significant extra space at no cost.

I'd suggest a supplementary price of 20-25% on the ticket price paid would
be a sensible amount for bike space to actually pay its way, and thus ensure
that provision for cyclists was made convenient and easy to use.

(And yes, I am commuting by train and bike at the moment.)

Old January 17th 07, 04:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
Dan Gregory wrote:
http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Cycles-on-Trains/

I disagree with that. Not the compulsory provision bit, but the free bit. I
genuinely fail to see why people making routine journeys should be able to
take up significant extra space at no cost.

I see your argument, but would you charge for bulky luggage as well?

I'd suggest a supplementary price of 20-25% on the ticket price paid would
be a sensible amount for bike space to actually pay its way, and thus ensure
that provision for cyclists was made convenient and easy to use.

Would it lead to greater provision, or merely serve to put off
cyclists?
I suspect the latter. Certainly, although I don't make many train
journeys
with my bike, I'd find such a supplement quite a disincentive.

John

Old January 17th 07, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven

Ambrose Nankivell wrote on 17/01/2007 14:34 +0100:

I'd suggest a supplementary price of 20-25% on the ticket price paid would
be a sensible amount for bike space to actually pay its way, and thus ensure
that provision for cyclists was made convenient and easy to use.

Would that also apply to people with suitcases or strollers?

--
Tony

"...has many omissions and contains much that is apocryphal, or at least
wildly inaccurate..."
Douglas Adams; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Old January 17th 07, 04:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Ambrose Nankivell said the following on 17/01/2007 14:34:

I disagree with that. Not the compulsory provision bit, but the free bit. I
genuinely fail to see why people making routine journeys should be able to
take up significant extra space at no cost.

....whether bikes or oversize luggage?

I'd suggest a supplementary price of 20-25% on the ticket price paid would
be a sensible amount for bike space to actually pay its way, and thus ensure
that provision for cyclists was made convenient and easy to use.

Second hand experience tells me that often the problem is not
necessarily lack of provision for bikes, but that the space provided is
full of suitcases. If this space is meant for bikes, then I think it
should be prioritised for bikes, but where do people then put their huge
suitcases? It was easy in the old days of course - it all went in the
guards van!

I think 20-25% is a little high, but I agree that cyclists (or large
luggage owners) should not expect to get free transport for these items.
If it can't fit between the seat backs, it should be charged for. If
there is no space behind the seats, such as on bus style seating, then
the TOCs should be made to provide adequate luggage space as well as
adequate bike space. Just my opinion, and probably totally unworkable!

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old January 17th 07, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ambrose Nankivell

Tony Raven wrote:
Ambrose Nankivell wrote on 17/01/2007 14:34 +0100:
I'd suggest a supplementary price of 20-25% on the ticket price paid
would be a sensible amount for bike space to actually pay its way,
and thus ensure that provision for cyclists was made convenient and
easy to use.

Would that also apply to people with suitcases or strollers?

Well, you're allowed 2 suitcases and a bag, and by my reading, charges are
payable on strollers greater than 1m in any dimension. Full details in:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passen...ge_animals.htm

As far as I'm concerned, if there's no advantage for the rail networks in
carrying bikes, then they'll carry on as it is, with you needing to put the
bike on the train and then get out and walk down to a passenger entrance in
many cases, or cheap as chips luggage hooks or seats that you have to ask
someone to vacate to put your bike in or any of the other things that make
travelling with a bike so much less convenient than travelling without it.

For people with strollers and suitcases, the propensity to take them is
limited by them being so inconvenient to carry around. Bikes are not the
same in this case.

Also, you were willing to shell out to get a Brompton at least in part to
take it on trains. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to take full size bikes on
trains as easily as that, and worth paying money for too?

Old January 17th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Boyd

Ambrose Nankivell said the following on 17/01/2007 17:12:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/passen...ge_animals.htm

Interesting reading! I wonder when they'll start enforcing it!

Also, you were willing to shell out to get a Brompton at least in part to
take it on trains. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to take full size bikes on
trains as easily as that, and worth paying money for too?

I used to take my bike on trains regularly up until about 19 years ago,
especially when it was very heavily laden with studenty stuff at the
beginning and end of terms, and there just weren't the problems we have
now. I guess it's called progress...

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

Peter Still Has It? Tom Kunich Racing 2 April 11th 06 07:02 PM
Where is Peter Rosendal Lottrup Unicycling 5 December 17th 05 03:39 PM
Where is Peter Rosendal johnfoss Unicycling 0 November 7th 05 06:36 PM
Ping: Peter Fox sam UK 0 July 14th 05 07:24 AM
Peter Moore DaveB Australia 8 November 23rd 04 12:45 AM