Okay...So What's A Good Tail Light?

Old January 28th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Okay...So What's A Good Tail Light?

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
oups.com...

That L&M Arc Li-Ion Ultra is the best head light, hands down. But how
about tail lights? Or are they just the same?

And what do y'all think of this: www.fossilfool.com?

I am partial to the five LED CatEye light like this one
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=
It seems to run for ages off the batteries in blink mode and it hurts your
eyes to look at it directly and it seems to be visible for a mile behind me.
Now it seems they have even more powerful ones, but it works good anyway.
I normally run two LED tailights, one is a Trek model and the above
mentioned cateye off the back of my under the seat bag.
On my regular work commuter bike I glued on two extra LED tailights onto the
panniers as well. My road bike just has the two LED lights mentioned above.
More than one light is handy for when the batteries run down as you may not
notice it for a while.

I have seen some cyclists riding with LED tailights and the ones they have
seem to be almost useless, as you can barely see them, and only when you get
close. So I would suggest one of the ultra bright models myself. More than
one light is useful, as I have seen cyclists riding along with dead LED
lights before.

Amazingly enough, Walmart has a $8.00 Bell branded LED light that has five
ultra bright LED's in it and it is super bright and works amazingly well.
it also comes in a headlight/tailight combo set for about $15.00. It has
one large three LED center lens with two small single LED side lenses.
The headlight isn't anything to write home about, but it doesn't work bad
the LED blink function is pretty good though. I used these lights on my
airport commuter single speed bike for when I have to go on business trips
and they worked better than I expected, especially the rear LED light. Beats
having to pay for parking. Anyway, I figured if the airport people
confiscate them it won't make me feel bad. I chain the bike to the fence
poles and take all the other stuff with me. No one's messed with the bike,
so it has worked pretty good. I only live about 6 miles from the airport
parking area, and there is a way to ride a bike there and then take the
shuttle bus, so it helps to keep the blood clots down after the return
flight.

Light review.. David Martin UK 20 October 29th 05 05:39 PM
Light & Motion 3-watt LED headlight David L. Johnson General 31 October 15th 05 12:47 PM
An open letter to Lance Armstrong DiabloScott Racing 19 August 2nd 04 01:16 AM
Daylight Bright Bicycle Tail Light Laurence Dodd Australia 0 September 17th 03 04:36 AM
Good Soft Tail for a Big Mo-Fo!! AlexMedic Off Road 0 September 16th 03 04:37 AM