Cycling health?

Old November 14th 06, 05:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
T Donily

Default Cycling health?

Hey all,

At one point in my life, I used to put a minimum of 20 miles per day on my
bike as I used it as my primary mode of transportation, and a great way to
burn off tension. But now, some 12 or so years later, I've since torn
cartiledge in one knee and broken my kneecap in the other. What would be
your suggestions to being able to get back in the saddle? Thanks in advance

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 14th 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"T Donily" wrote in message
Hey all,

At one point in my life, I used to put a minimum of 20 miles per day on my
bike as I used it as my primary mode of transportation, and a great way to
burn off tension. But now, some 12 or so years later, I've since torn
cartiledge in one knee and broken my kneecap in the other. What would be
your suggestions to being able to get back in the saddle? Thanks in
advance

My advice would be to forget about it. Since you can no longer walk easily,
you are doomed and you should get ready to lie down in your casket. They
shoot horses, don't they?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old November 14th 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

T Donily wrote:
Hey all,

At one point in my life, I used to put a minimum of 20 miles per day on my
bike as I used it as my primary mode of transportation, and a great way to
burn off tension. But now, some 12 or so years later, I've since torn
cartiledge in one knee and broken my kneecap in the other. What would be
your suggestions to being able to get back in the saddle? Thanks in advance

Did you tear yourself up while trying to be Joe racer or just in the
course of putting on miles? I just pile up miles and only race out of
the saddle so my knees do get killed.
Bill Baka
Old November 14th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
JP

I had surgery on torn cartilege in the knee.
If that's an option I would recommend it.
If you can pedal without pain then do it.
Use the lower gears to keep the stress off your joints,
if you have to stand shifting to an easier gear will take the stress off
your knees.

Old November 14th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
JP

Four blocks from your taxpayer subsidized room is a drug rehab facility.
You should make an appointment with a counselor to try and deal with
your addiction to crank. Right now meth is just screwing with your mind,
soon it may kill you.

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:fomdnWiysdXGnsfYnZ2dnUVZ_vWdnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

Old November 14th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

JP wrote:
I had surgery on torn cartilege in the knee.
If that's an option I would recommend it.
If you can pedal without pain then do it.
Use the lower gears to keep the stress off your joints,
if you have to stand shifting to an easier gear will take the stress off
your knees.

So far so good at 58. I'm not trying to compete, except maybe blowing
off the random teenage hot shot. No pain yet but since my mother had
terrible arthritis I am expecting it sooner or later. Lower gears when I
sit and higher when I attack, as in not wanting to lose speed up a short
hill. No 500 foot climb attacks for me. No real stress on my knees when
I stand, maybe because I have an unusual way of doing it. I jump up and
let my full body weight push the pedal down. Very rarely do I ever put
so much force out that I have to pull up on the bars.
So far, mellow has served me well.
Bill Baka
Old November 14th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"JP" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

I had surgery on torn cartilege in the knee.
If that's an option I would recommend it.
If you can pedal without pain then do it.
Use the lower gears to keep the stress off your joints,
if you have to stand shifting to an easier gear will take the stress off
your knees.

It is the ultimate wisdom to know when to quit. If you can't walk, then
think about dying. No one in this world wants to be saddled with an invalid.
I suggest hanging yourself from a rafter in your dirt floor basement, if you
have one. This will rid the world of yet another invalid. After all, how
many invalids can this world afford?

Old November 14th 06, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Edward Dolan

"JP" wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Four blocks from your taxpayer subsidized room is a drug rehab facility.
You should make an appointment with a counselor to try and deal with
your addiction to crank. Right now meth is just screwing with your mind,
soon it may kill you.

Wine is the only thing for us civilized types. Those who resort to anything
else are barbarians. This is well known as is attested to by the ancient
Greeks and Romans.

Old November 14th 06, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Solvang Cyclist

"T Donily" wrote in news:1163526049_6397
@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

What would be
your suggestions to being able to get back in the saddle?

First, I would say you should talk to your doctor. But you might want to
consider a bike with lower gears, shorter cranks and Speedplay "X" series
pedals. The Speedplays have lots of side-to-side "float" which reduces
lateral stresses on the knees. I don't know if that would be enough, so
again - talk to your doctor(s).

Cheers,
David

Old November 14th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
JP

This is one of the negative aspects of preserving freedom of speech.
An idiot like Edward Dolan is guaranteed the protection to spew obnoxious
nonsense.
It's too bad that his public library allows him unrestricted internet access
but our society
has an obligation to care for its losers, no matter how repugnant they are.

Edward you poor fool. A bicycle allows one who cannot walk extended
mobility
just as Minnesota's social services programs allows non-productive
individuals like yourself
the opportunity to secure food and shelter. Otherwise you would be prime
material for a landfill.

"Edward Dolan" wrote in message
news:WPSdnUs8u9kGjsfYnZ2dnUVZ_sadnZ2d@prairiewave. com...

HBF Health Insurance gumby Australia 10 November 7th 05 08:11 AM
Cycling and health : interesting article Andrew Price General 0 December 8th 04 11:03 PM
Health warning W K UK 11 September 10th 03 12:21 AM
Sprawl is bad for your health Luigi de Guzman General 1 August 30th 03 06:36 AM
Health Check ... elyob UK 10 July 30th 03 09:47 AM