three questions

Old July 25th 17, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default three questions

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 02:13:51 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

What did people do before the age of
epoxy? Work?

Wooden plugs and tar:
https://www.google.com/search?q=wooden+boat+plugs&tbm=isch

What's happening is the your wood screw and deck plate are moving
relative to the deck. It could be the deck is falling apart and
flexing excessively, someone walking on the deck plate, or just
thermal expansion/contraction of the hardware in the sun. The threads
have sharp edges and do a good job of shaving the edges of the hole
until the screw comes loose. Replacing such a wood screw with a
larger size screw will just cut a bigger hole in the deck. As long as
things are moving, epoxy won't work. It's not flexible and will
crack. Rubber gaskets might help if the deck is flexing, but if the
damage is caused by someone walking on the deck plate, then rubber
will simply increase the amount of movement.

Think about using FH bolts, washers, and captive nuts to secure the
deck plate, or just fix whatever is causing the flexing or fastener
movement.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old July 25th 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 25 Jul 2017 04:43:47 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

The previous name was "My Lady III" which is so
un-original it is boring even to say it once.

This is the internet age and such vessels should
now be named "My Lady version 3.0.0 build 17".

I hope it isn't a taboo renaming ships?

Not taboo, but it is traditionally considered bad luck. However, if
you want to attract really bad luck, try changing the vessel or
trailer license and registration information at the local DMV. The
resultant documentation headache, fees, taxes, inspections, and delays
will certainly make you reconsider your actions.

Old July 25th 17, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 25, 2017 at 12:27:25 AM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. Slocomb wrote:

Depending on what they are used for there
might be better ways to do things and if you
drill the holes just a little larger the
screws are so much easier to install although
they won't hold as well

OK, so if we assume a 4.2 mm deck screw that
isn't self-drilling, what drill size should one
use? (I take it this answer should be on the
web in some neat table but I can't find the
right search phrase to find it. Hey, it should
be on the folding rule just like it is with
calipers for the mech world.)

In fact the better builders probably wouldn't
use screws to fasten deck hardware and
certainly not for any functional purpose.
A fishing rod holder may be screwed on but
sheet blocks would be through bolted.

Damn straight, it should be bolted!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/

My van holds up a decked roof rack .... tho placement is with lathe screws or drywall/construction electric drill screws once the rig is in place n adjusted everything is bolted down with G5 .25" rod then nuts sealed with blue Loctite.

In a new state eventually law will come around for a visual inspection.
Old July 25th 17, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

John B. Slocomb wrote:

[...]

Really? Our lathe screw is 3/4 inch x 4 feet long. How many
of those did you use for this project?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 25th 17, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John B. Slocomb wrote:

[...]

goo.gl/bRg1y5

gripado
Old July 25th 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Emanuel Berg writes:

AMuzi wrote:

Maybe different in Sweden:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vasa_%28ship%29

Ha ha ha, the total failure. But a cool ship
and a great museum. There is one other big ship
from that era preserved/restored... ?

The English have one with a similar story:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_rose

although it did have a longer career before sinking.

Old July 25th 17, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

John B. Slocomb writes:

On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 20:05:34 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/24/2017 5:59 PM, wrote:

[...]

Right. Wooden ships don't last, probably not much more than
220 years anyway:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ution-prep-fo/

I don't believe that the Constitution is capable of being sailed any
more in spite of the extensive repairs that have been made over its
lifetime. At least the only reference I've read about has it being
moved under tow.

It happened in 2012:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVRWqhvHaMo

She's currently being refitted (again), so not capable of sailing at
the moment.
Old July 25th 17, 06:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

writes:

On Monday, July 24, 2017 at 7:51:03 PM UTC-7, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 24 Jul 2017 20:05:34 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/24/2017 5:59 PM,
wrote:

[...]

Right. Wooden ships don't last, probably not much more than
220 years anyway:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ution-prep-fo/

I don't believe that the Constitution is capable of being sailed any
more in spite of the extensive repairs that have been made over its
lifetime. At least the only reference I've read about has it being
moved under tow.

None of these ancient ships would be sailable without quite a bit of
knowledge that is lacking - they probably aren't caulked so that the
wood can expand and contract with humidity without pushing the
caulking out. The caulking of a ship this large was not a hit or miss
affair. You had to know exactly how much caulking to put into each
joint so that in the end as the wood expanded in the water it wouldn't
simply push the caulking out or splinter the boards. Remember that the
planking was so heavy that cannon could bounce off.

I'm reasonably sure the USS Constitution is caulked old style, although
the material might not be exactly correct. Typically she floats tied up
at a berth, so the caulking must work somewhat. I'll bet they have
electric pumps, though.

Old July 25th 17, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

John B. Slocomb wrote:

[...]

What a difference an 'e' makes.

Old July 25th 17, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 7/23/2017 4:44 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
1) What does for example 7075-T6 mean? I read
it is stell alloy and heat treatment but
what do the digits and letters mean, or are
they just a designation so you can look up
the properties, and if so where?

A designation.

2) A guy has had a flat tire several times but
the tire looks OK. The suspicion is, if the
rim tape is too broad for the rim so it
forms a flat "U" letter, and what happens is
the ends cut thru the tube. Is this heard
of? The rim tape is from Specialized.
It looks a little broad but I wouldn't have
noticed unless there was this
little mystery.

Is it cloth rim tape or plastic rim strips. The latter needs to not be
wider than the groove that it fits in to cover the spokes. The cloth
tape is more forgiving. Do not use medical adhesive tape in place of rim
tape.

3) On a boat I'm working on, there are several
cases where the screws are loose in their
holes. What do you typically do?
Get a longer screw? Or do you use Loctite,
crazy-glue, etc.?

A longer screws can work.

Don't fill the hole with epoxy or cyanoacrylate.

To fill the hole, you want to use rather thick wood shavings of the same
wood species, or at least use hard wood shavings for hard wood, soft
wood shavings for soft wood. Just coat them with wood glue and force
them into the hole and let it dry. Don't use epoxy, just wood glue.