Critical Mass - shoot the lot of them

Old November 28th 04, 05:32 PM
takver

Default Critical Mass - shoot the lot of them

I had a great time on Sydney Critical Mass Harbour Bridge ride. But as
regular Melbourne CMasser I noticed several things:

1. There didn't seem to be a strong culture of corking intersections
Maybe it was due to inflated numbers attending for the harbour bridg
ride, but it mainly seemed like the police doing most of the corking!

2. Evidently the ride had a police permit. There was a strong polic
presence with 30 or so police on police bicycles, police motorcycle
and several squad cars. But even the police seemed to mostly b
enjoying the event.

3. From start to finish the ride took 50 minutes from Hyde Park t
North Sydney. It seemed to go in the most direct route possible t
utilise the least amount of time. Personally, I would have enjoyed
small circuit around the city before heading over the bridge, but
dare say if there was a police permit they wanted to be in control!

4. The ride was stuck in traffic for several minutes on the Cahil
Expressway, waiting for the cars ahead to inch onto the bridge. Onc
onto the bridge I thought the Mass moved too quickly. Once the mas
left the Cahill Expressway the head really didn't wait or see what wa
happening with the tail. This was particularly the case riding up th
hill at North Sydney. Maybe go a little slower next time? A full mas
and bike lift in the middle of the bridge?

5. Going over the bridge to North Sydney as part of CM was easy i
comparison to coming back via the cycle path. I had to push my bike an
trailer up the 5 flights of steps at Milsons Point (and make my 4 y
walk up). They haven't improved that facility since I last used it mor
than 20 years ago! Perhaps if the RTA spent a little bit of money an
used some of its vast engineering skills it could provide a smoot
cycling experience onto the bridge cycleway from the north end?

6. I found quite a few cycle lanes around inner city Sydney, since
lived there 15 years ago, but most were afterthoughts. Many could no
accomodate the width of my trailer. Some were downright dangerous. Cit
planners are thinking bicycle, but I believe many are yet to cycle alon
their creations.

7. On the way back to my lodgings several people, in cars and on foot
asked how CM went. Whether you like Critical Mass or not, it does rais
the profile of cycling and cyclists

--
takver

Old November 30th 04, 06:20 AM
rickster

takver wrote in message ...
[snip]

7. On the way back to my lodgings several people, in cars and on foot,
asked how CM went. Whether you like Critical Mass or not, it does raise
the profile of cycling and cyclists.

Yeah, but not in a positive way. But hey, we cyclists need more
negative press, so I thank you.
Old November 30th 04, 08:59 AM
DJ

"rickster" wrote in message
om...
takver wrote in message
[snip]

7. On the way back to my lodgings several people, in cars and on foot,
asked how CM went. Whether you like Critical Mass or not, it does raise
the profile of cycling and cyclists.

Yeah, but not in a positive way. But hey, we cyclists need more
negative press, so I thank you.

I find that i have to disagree with you at this point of not being in a
positive way, it seems till last friday that the amount of cyclists that
have been turning up for the Critical Mass have been rather dismal and from
what I've been told we're mainly the regulars including a few bike couriers
etc but last friday's ride attracted hundreds of cyclists including myself
who either have never ridden a CM or only do it on a major ride. I believe
this to be a very positive point as many people young and old joined in the
ride accross the bridge and thoroughly enjoyed it. The police were happy
that everyone behaved themselves and also enjoyed the evening so I think
that their support will also be ongoing.

Most people like myself that attended the CM on friday, were'nt really there
for the political point but were happy to be part of a growing need here in
Sydney.

If only to enjoy a big group ride with like minded folk that might just hold
up some traffic for an hour, once a month, I don't believe that is too much
to ask the general public who have the roads to themselves 30 days out of
31.

The entertainment in North Sydney with the band and the noodle stalls were
an added plus.....ahhh bbq octopus & noodles...love 'em!!

Cheers

DJ

Old November 30th 04, 12:00 PM
Scott Howard

takver wrote:
6. I found quite a few cycle lanes around inner city Sydney, since I
lived there 15 years ago, but most were afterthoughts. Many could not
accomodate the width of my trailer. Some were downright dangerous. City
planners are thinking bicycle, but I believe many are yet to cycle along
their creations.

Depending on the time of day/direction you're travelling the bus lanes
make a fairly good compromise. Yes, you have to contend with buses and
taxi's, but normally their number is far less than in the normal car
lanes - just watch for the brake lights.

Scott