New B&M 100lux headlight.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 18th 17, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Oculus Lights[_2_]

Default New B&M 100lux headlight.

On Sunday, December 17, 2017 at 8:12:27 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/17/2017 4:13 AM, Tosspot wrote:

Joining in subjectively, the garage looks photo-shopped.Â* However, the
beam pattern is exactly like my CYO.Â* I angle it down a fraction more
than in that picture, cutoff hits the ground ~20-30 metres from the
bike, making that dip between near and far more pronounced, but that it
what it looks like on unlit asphalt.

Look at the bleed left and right, that's what I don't see the need for!

Personally, I think the next development in bike headlight optics should
be to purposely add lateral beam width, and with an upward component. I
want cutoff straight ahead, as with automobile lights. But if there were
a little more light thrown (say) up to the right, it would help on a
right turn into a driveway or tight street intersection that was unlit.
The upward component would be to compensate for the bike's tilt during
the turn.

A further benefit would be a brighter light directed toward motorists
approaching a stop sign as the bicyclist proceeded with the right of way.

--
- Frank Krygowski

From the video of descending Highway 9 with an Oculus, you can see that it has the lateral and upward light throw which light up around the turns. Racers at RAAM loved this on the fast descents and curves where the support van (mostly Sprinter type vehicles) can't keep up. It also has more sideways light, shining sideways out a side street when facing forward at an intersection, and downward on the road immediately below and on your bike and feet, than any other light that you might find to compare with. No problem seeing your bottle cages at night with an Oculus on your bike. To car drivers, it looks more like a car headlight pattern on the road, that they can't see is just a bicycle.
When coming up on other bicyclists from behind, they also sometimes get fooled into believing it could be a car approaching.

The last headlight you will ever need somebody[_2_] Techniques 115 April 28th 14 02:12 AM
Headlight Tom $herman (-_-) Techniques 16 August 17th 12 03:43 AM
FS: L&M ARC HID headlight Zach Marketplace 0 February 13th 08 07:25 PM
LED Headlight HughMann Australia 12 August 30th 06 11:51 AM
Headlight Bruni Techniques 8 August 31st 03 06:27 PM