Bicycle Safety Survey for my engineering design class. Very easy,please have a look! Thanks!

Old December 1st 13, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Bicycle Safety Survey for my engineering design class. Very easy,please have a look! Thanks!

If you're a bicyclist, please take this survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z3L5GHF
Old December 1st 13, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 12:59:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:

If you're a bicyclist, please take this survey.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z3L5GHF

Done. It's not too difficult to guess what product you're thinking of
designing. The problem with a video camera is that it will probably
be forward facing. AFAIK, most vehicle hits bicycle accidents ocurr
with the vehicle approaching from the side, not a head on collision.
There's also the problem of "dooring" which also requires a somewhat
side looking camera. You'll probably need two cameras, a split image
camera, or a very wide angle lens, in order to catch all possible
directions of approach.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 1st 13, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_5_]

wrote:

If you're a bicyclist, please take this survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z3L5GHF

Your javascript (spit!) is borked.

And I didn't /really/ mean the comment about AMRAAMs.

Honest.

May the Puncture Fairy ride on my shoulder if I lie.

Mike

Old December 1st 13, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 02/12/13 07:59, wrote:
If you're a bicyclist, please take this survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z3L5GHF

There is no way I'd be riding along looking at an LED on my handlebars
to note that a car is approaching.

A very loud horn to alert a motorist approaching from behind that they
are too close might be nice, as it would alert me without me needing to
look, and them. It could get annoying in heavy slow moving traffic.

Video is very valuable in the event of a collision. Collisions can
happen from almost any direction, but I'd suggest most collisions occur
when a motorist fails to give way and the bicyclist cannot avoid them in
time, so forward facing is probably the most important.

Any electronic device on a bicycle needs to be very robust. Shock,
vibration, sweat, rain, heat, cold...

Wide angle lens with good night vision.

Long battery life with the possibility of USB recharge or constant
supply from a dynamo. Some dynamo headlights have a USB charge output.

Vibration on the handlebars can make very poor quality video, but is my
preferred mount location. Helmet cam is nice in that it shows what's
visible from the riders POV, but battery life, weight, aerodynamics and
how it might affect helmet efficacy in the event of a crash must be
considered.

Must be able to use very large capacity storage media (typ. 32 GB SD Card).

Old video can be overwritten by new when the card is full.

A button to permanently store the last 5 - 10 minutes might be useful.

A battery backed real time clock so that the video is timestamped.

A rear facing camera is certainly useful in showing how a motorist is
acting prior to an unsafe passing maneuver. See..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tOf5RkjMGA

Accurate distance measurement is very difficult from a camera view.
Perhaps combined with ultrasonic or infrared measurement tools that log
measurements to the video would help.

--
JS
Old December 1st 13, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jeff Liebermann:
You'll probably need two cameras, a split image
camera, or a very wide angle lens,

Couple of these might do the trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M

Although battery management might get old after awhile.
--
Pete Cresswell

---

Old December 2nd 13, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, December 1, 2013 3:59:35 PM UTC-5, wrote:
If you're a bicyclist, please take this survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z3L5GHF

I'm curious about what the exact assignment was.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 2nd 13, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 12:59:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:

If you're a bicyclist, please take this survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z3L5GHF

on the last question, I rated "visual design" #6 only because "not
important at all" wasn't an option -- but when I shop for a helmet, I
won't even look at a hat that doesn't come in white.

When I do look at one, the first thing I check is "can I attach my
rear-view mirror?" An adjustable chin strap would be nice, too.

I've no idea what "safety functionality" is, but functionality has to
be important, so I rated that #1.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://roughsewing.home.comcast.net/
Old December 2nd 13, 06:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 17:58:40 -0500, "(PeteCresswell)"
wrote:

Per Jeff Liebermann:
You'll probably need two cameras, a split image
camera, or a very wide angle lens,

Couple of these might do the trick:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wmIyD1fM4M

120 degree viewing angle. Not too horrible, but it would be nice if
there were two lenses or two sensors in one package.

Although battery management might get old after awhile.

That's not the only problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_CdjXVgQfY
Mobius 1080p spy camera attached to a model airplane. The problem is
that the case is anything but aerodynamic and starts to whistle at
flight speeds. I don't know if you can go fast enough on a bicycle to
produce the same problem, but it should be tested.

I was really impressed by the lack of picture distortion until I read
the authors comments that he had to use Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 to
clean up the fisheye distortion from the video.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/fisheye-hemi.htm
Also, note that the YouTube video is in 360p, not 1080p.

Old December 2nd 13, 10:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Sun, 01 Dec 2013 13:50:12 -0800, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Sun, 1 Dec 2013 12:59:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:

If you're a bicyclist, please take this survey.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Z3L5GHF

Done. It's not too difficult to guess what product you're thinking of
designing. The problem with a video camera is that it will probably
be forward facing. AFAIK, most vehicle hits bicycle accidents ocurr
with the vehicle approaching from the side, not a head on collision.
There's also the problem of "dooring" which also requires a somewhat
side looking camera. You'll probably need two cameras, a split image
camera, or a very wide angle lens, in order to catch all possible
directions of approach.

I put a Canon camera running CHDK on the back rack pointing to traffic
coming from behind. It was set to take a still every 3 seconds and
later turned into video.

It was scary. But that setup is fair weather only and delicate to
boot.

We use a Chinese camera (water resistant) on the front of our RANS
Screamer. It points forward and misses cars that cut us off coming up
to intersections. All you can see is the car turning right, not the
approach where they pass us 10 feet from the intersection and then do
a hard right turn.

It is wide angle (170 degrees) but you can only make out a license
plate when the car is directly in front.

I would like something that points back and to the left so's to catch
following/passing cars. 1-3 frames per second is plenty and that
keeps SD card usage down.

A second camera is needed front left and a third front right for
dooring. Both front cameras could be in 1 housing.