Favorit hub and 35 PSI tire

Old June 20th 17, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Favorit hub and 35 PSI tire

I found the 609! at

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

It says:

609 mm Rare Dutch size, 27 x 1 1/2

I wonder why I have so many of the 609s.
Either they are not so rare, or they are, which
is the reason people dump them here...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old June 20th 17, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Returning to the psi, on the 42-622 I just
mentioned, it says inflate to

50-75 psi
340-515 kPa
3.4-5.1 bar

Some distance to the "35 psi" of the 40-609..

The 42-622 is an "Innova Flatfigher". It has
a 29 tpi, 3.5 mm nylon layer to protect against
the flat tire. Shouldn't matter to this
discussion, I guess...

Otherwise it says 700 * 40 C which is
consistent with what you say (700C being 622
mm) but inconsistent with the ISO 42 mm
width...

Old June 20th 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/20/2017 9:30 AM, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/20/2017 8:18 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Today I found an inner tube that fits according
to the ISO mark, and is close enough to the
inch mark - it fails on the diameter tho
(tire 27, tube 28) which is the most
important one.

And the ISO interval is wide indeed.

But should be fine, for sure.

Here is what it says on the box:

CST (Cheng Shin Tire) 700C

28 x 1 5/8 x 1 3/8

37/47-609/642

It has a 40 mm Dunlop valve.

The 700 is the old French system or outer
diameter (diameter including tire), right?
But what does the "C" mean?

'700' originally were large at 642mm, later referred to as 700A. The
revised format 700B got smaller (625? can't recall), the current 700C
smaller yet at 622m. (700D 587mm utterly failed in the late 1980s)

I thought the original logic (if you can call it that) was that all 700
tires would have an outside diameter (tire+wheel) of 700 mm, but for
narrow tires (700A) the rim would have to be larger diameter to produce
the same outside diameter. If the tire was wide (700C) the rim would be
smaller diameter. So the 700C specification was originally intended for
wide tires.

But marketing and fashion are even less logical, so people began
demanding narrow tires to fit the smaller diameter and lighter 700C
rims. Those came to dominate, and 700A and 700B went away.

Is my history correct?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 20th 17, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:

I thought the original logic (if you can call
it that) was that all 700 tires would have an
outside diameter (tire+wheel) of 700 mm, but
for narrow tires (700A) the rim would have to
be larger diameter to produce the same
outside diameter. If the tire was wide (700C)
the rim would be smaller diameter. So the
700C specification was originally intended
for wide tires.

Yeah, but if A to C are narrow to wide, what is
the other digit? The 42-622 I have is 700
x 40C. Did it once just say "700C", but when
the "C" didn't mean width anymore but rather
hinted at 622, they felt the need to specify 40,
only they kept the C to still hint at 622?
Perhaps they didn't use 622 explicitly at that
point but you get my meaning...

Old June 21st 17, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 11:52:59 AM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

I thought the original logic (if you can call
it that) was that all 700 tires would have an
outside diameter (tire+wheel) of 700 mm, but
for narrow tires (700A) the rim would have to
be larger diameter to produce the same
outside diameter. If the tire was wide (700C)
the rim would be smaller diameter. So the
700C specification was originally intended
for wide tires.

Yeah, but if A to C are narrow to wide, what is
the other digit? The 42-622 I have is 700
x 40C. Did it once just say "700C", but when
the "C" didn't mean width anymore but rather
hinted at 622, they felt the need to specify 40,
only they kept the C to still hint at 622?
Perhaps they didn't use 622 explicitly at that
point but you get my meaning...

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

Try reading this:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire-sizing.html

Look at the chart third down from the top:

French Sizes:

700 A

642 mm

Obsolete

700 B

635 mm

Rod-brake roadsters.

700 C

622 mm

Road bikes, hybrids, "29 inch" MTBs.
(28 x 1 1/2 F.13 Canada)

700 D

587 mm

Oddball size formerly used on some GT models.

Lots more information here.

Cheers