"listing" I found out why! (in my case anyway)

Old June 16th 07, 05:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Default "listing" I found out why! (in my case anyway)

Not my loaner 29er, not my loaner coker, not my muni. They *ALL* ride
smooth and straight with no "listing", or pulling to one side. That
said, I was perplexed as to WHY I was listing HARD to the right on my
brand new radial deluxe! I thought it could just be that it new and I
need to "get used to it", or maybe play around with the saddle
adjustment...nothing helped.

Then I noticed what _must_ be the reason; The wheel is very OFF center
with the frame! I tried loosening the bearing caps and held the
wheel in the center while I re-tightened them. Didn't work. I tried
flipping the whel around, but to no avail. Either the frame is not
even, or the WHEEL was built off center, and I think it's the wheel!

Is there anything *I* can do to center the wheel, because it spins true
enough, but I think the AXLE is slightly high on one side causing the
wheel to be off center, and causing ME to constantly "correct" in order
to stay on a straight line. It's virtually UNrideable like this!

An older post on the "listing" problem mentioned that if you try riding
other unis and still have the same problem (which I don't) then it's
*you*. If you try other unis and you DON'T list, then it's the uni!
Help me if you can! Thanks

|Filename: DSC01292.JPG |

MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 06:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rab2009

my schwin is like this. it is a whole 1/4 inch off. But on mine the
frame crooked. BUt i have sort of got used to it but sometimes it
affects me. (also haveing a mackshift peg for a peddle doesn't help)

--
rab2009
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 06:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Munivision

Terry, Try shimming the side with the wheel farthest from the frame.
Take a small piece of beer, I mean, soda can and slip it on top of the
bearing in the holder. This will put the wheel to the center, may take
two or three layers. My first KH was shimmed this way when I got it.

Also, could have been some of your paint that changed the fit.
Shimming or scraping paint off the other side will have same effect.

--
Munivision

Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right!
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 06:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
One on one

Terry, try letting some air out of the tire to see if it will correct
your listing problem. I find with my Coker that if my tire is on the
higher pressure end that I have listing problems also. One last thing
to try is turning the saddle around 180 degrees and riding it to see if
you start listing to the other side. Don't ride for too long or you'll
unscrew your pedals.

--
One on one

"That's going to end up in somebody's sig." - rob.northcott

"one on one is happy, so am I!...." -CKCrowe
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 06:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hobo_chuck

Aw man, and that was your new uni too, wasn't it!

It would be horrible to have a soda can as part of your uni, can you
still send it back or have you changed it too much?

--
hobo_chuck

its not easy being gold!

'$200 KH 29\" mountain uni!' (http://www.lost.eu/53187)
get yours before it's too late!!
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 06:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

One on one wrote:
Terry, try letting some air out of the tire to see if it will correct
your listing problem. I find with my Coker that if my tire is on the
higher pressure end that I have listing problems also.

No it's not the air pressure. Like I said I tried 3 other cokers, a 29er
and all THREE of my munis, all with different psi's and none of them
"list". It has to be that the wheel is simply off center, and BIG TIME!
I'll try that shimming idea.

Old June 16th 07, 06:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ahollow

If the frame is too long on one side, turning the axle around will still
show the lean to the same side. If the wheel is built wrong, turning
the axle around will show the lean to the opposite side.

My KH24 came with a thick plastic shim on one side, right on top of the
bearing.

--
ahollow
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 06:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian O.

I'm willing to bet your spokes are drilled off center on the rim, thats
how mine are and my wheel looks like yours in the radial frame. I have
my seat turned to the left a little to compensate haha. It makes riding
on the right side of the road a pain for me though. On the left however
it counteracts the crown of the road and theres smooth sailing.

I got my radial used for $130 (including shipping) though so I can't
really complain.

--
Brian O.

mscalisi wrote:
We only need one 36" rim, one that doesn't suck. A properly sized KH rim
(like the 29er only larger) would be awesome.

'ProjectUNI' (http://www.otherworldsociety.org/projectuni) - The
Unicyclist PC Game - In Early Development.
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tholub

Check if the bearings are tight against the hub and symmetrical relative
to the hub.

If they are, check if the rim is centered relative to the bearings.
This might be a bit tricky to do on a Coker wheel, because standard
dishing tools aren't large enough to reach the rim. One way to tell
would be to flip the wheel in the frame; if the error moves to the
other side when you do that, the wheel is improperly dished. You can
fix dish errors by tightening all the spokes on the side of the wheel
away from the error (pulling the rim in the direction you want it to
go).

If the error stays on the same side when you flip the wheel in the
frame, you've got either a bent or out-of-spec frame or bearing
holders. A shim, as suggested, might get you by on that one, or you
might be able to get the frame "cold-set" (frame-maker code for "bent")
to be straight.

--
tholub
http://www.usenet.com
Old June 16th 07, 07:03 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

tholub wrote:
[...]

I tried Jim's shim idea; it took FOUR pepsi alum strips to get it
centered, or at least very close to centered. The strips are quite
thin, so maybe 4 isn't that much. It could very well be the frame,
because Amy said the radial frame has to be "bent" out to accomodate
the wide hub!