Geared Hubs - Coaster Brake? -Non Coaster-Brake?....

Old May 24th 07, 08:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

Default Geared Hubs - Coaster Brake? -Non Coaster-Brake?....

If I am properly understanding things--the Shimano geared hubs are
available with and without coaster brakes built-in. I think....

Do all models have the brake built-in, and there's a way to avoid having
it engage with back-pedaling? It seems like I have seen geared hubs
shown on bikes with vertical dropouts, and using a chain idler,,, which
would imply a freewheel hub.
?
~
Old May 25th 07, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On May 24, 12:03 pm, DougC wrote:
If I am properly understanding things--the Shimano geared hubs are
available with and without coaster brakes built-in. I think....

Do all models have the brake built-in, and there's a way to avoid having
it engage with back-pedaling? It seems like I have seen geared hubs
shown on bikes with vertical dropouts, and using a chain idler,,, which
would imply a freewheel hub.
?
~

The 7s and 8s at least, come in 3 different models - Coaster brake,
Roller brake, and no brake. The Roller brake ones have a spline for
mounting the brake, and the brake is sold seperately, so that means
you rarely see the no-brake model, since you can just get the roller-
brake version and leave off the brake. That's what I have on my ATB-to-
beachcruiser conversion.

So, to be able to backpedal, just don't get a coaster brake model.

Old May 25th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 24, 7:58 pm, Hank Wirtz wrote:
On May 24, 12:03 pm, DougC wrote:

[...]

Yup, and the roller brake is very nice if you want a reliable and fuss
free rear brake. It's heavy, but solid state. Nice paired with a LP or
canti up front.