Fignon "the professor" on doping...

Old June 18th 12, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Cicero Venatio

Default Fignon "the professor" on doping...

Fignon on doping,

copied excerpt--

In the book, Fignon admitted to doping, describing drug-taking in the
1980s as widespread. He said it was recreational rather than
performance-enhancing -- aided by the strong Colombian involvement in
cycling at the time and accompanied by large quantities of cocaine.

He said doping in cycling was revolutionized by the arrival of the
blood-booster EPO in the early '90s. Fignon said he refused to take it
and retired from competition in 1993 when he realized that mediocre
riders were now keeping up with him.
------------
Did "the Professor" get colon cancer from the cocaine the Columbians
gave him?
Was Lance one of those mediocre riders he was referring to?
Old June 19th 12, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
raamman

On Jun 18, 12:46*pm, cicero venatio wrote:
Fignon on doping,

copied excerpt--

In the book, Fignon admitted to doping, describing drug-taking in the
1980s as widespread. He said it was recreational rather than
performance-enhancing -- aided by the strong Colombian involvement in
cycling at the time and accompanied by large quantities of cocaine.

He said doping in cycling was revolutionized by the arrival of the
blood-booster EPO in the early '90s. Fignon said he refused to take it
and retired from competition in 1993 when he realized that mediocre
riders were now keeping up with him.
------------
Did "the Professor" get colon cancer from the cocaine the Columbians
gave him?
Was Lance one of those mediocre riders he was referring to?

I can t see how such things can be taken as applicable to everyone-
many cyclists are health nuts in one way or another, hardly figures
that we'd all be so keen on dopibng of any kind.

Lance was an outstanding cyclist at young age; very strong, but
without much focus, too green to be much of a sprinter and he did not
yet have the endurance to hold out for a 3 week long race- but he was
hardly mediocre; a lot of folks had pegged him for great things to
come- I thought it was hype for american consumers at the time, but it
seemed that those pundits were right in their foretelling- it remains
to be seen if his commitment was honest or not.
Old June 19th 12, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
steve

On Jun 18, 9:46*am, cicero venatio wrote:
Fignon on doping,

copied excerpt--

In the book, Fignon admitted to doping, describing drug-taking in the
1980s as widespread. He said it was recreational rather than
performance-enhancing -- aided by the strong Colombian involvement in
cycling at the time and accompanied by large quantities of cocaine.

He said doping in cycling was revolutionized by the arrival of the
blood-booster EPO in the early '90s. Fignon said he refused to take it
and retired from competition in 1993 when he realized that mediocre
riders were now keeping up with him.
------------
Did "the Professor" get colon cancer from the cocaine the Columbians
gave him?
Was Lance one of those mediocre riders he was referring to?

sounds more like Lemond to me
Old June 19th 12, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour[_2_]

Damn it! Lemond was anemic - it was an iron shot! I don't remember if the lead shot was before or after.

Old June 21st 12, 12:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
yirgster

On Tuesday, June 19, 2012 1:54:48 PM UTC-7, RicodJour wrote:
Damn it! Lemond was anemic - it was an iron shot! I don't remember if the lead shot was before or after.

Don't know if this is what you're asking ...

According to Samuel Abt's article "1989: Lemond's Comeback", Lemond started taking iron supplements in 1989 during the Giro D'Italia. His condition had so deteriorated prior that "his ADR teammates began criticizing him, even mocking him and his condition."

Lemond, quoted by Abt, stated his masseur noticed that Lemond's face was grey which Lemond then associated with an iron deficiency. Even when his riding improved Lemond was "still refusing to believe that the iron injections would make a permanent improvement."

The article is reprinted in Samuel Abt, __In High Gear__ (1990, 2nd edition, Bicycle Books, San Francisco), pp 190-191.

Old June 21st 12, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

cicero venatio wrote:
Fignon on doping,

copied excerpt--

In the book, Fignon admitted to doping, describing drug-taking in the
1980s as widespread. He said it was recreational rather than
performance-enhancing -- aided by the strong Colombian involvement in
cycling at the time and accompanied by large quantities of cocaine.

Is cocaine a performance enhancer for a bike racer? I confess (blushes
sheepishly) to never having tried the stuff.

-S-

Old June 21st 12, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

On 6/21/2012 12:26 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
cicero venatio wrote:
Fignon on doping,

copied excerpt--

In the book, Fignon admitted to doping, describing drug-taking in the
1980s as widespread. He said it was recreational rather than
performance-enhancing -- aided by the strong Colombian involvement in
cycling at the time and accompanied by large quantities of cocaine.

Is cocaine a performance enhancer for a bike racer? I confess (blushes
sheepishly) to never having tried the stuff.

-S-

I think the question to ask is whether it is an economical performance
enhancer. Kimmage agrees with Fignon on widespread doping in the 1980s,
but it wouldn't be cocaine during a race unless there was no other
dope that was cheaper and/or more effective. And that really isn't the
case.

Old June 21st 12, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.racing
AMuzi

cicero venatio wrote:
Fignon on doping,

copied excerpt--

In the book, Fignon admitted to doping, describing drug-taking in the
1980s as widespread. He said it was recreational rather than
performance-enhancing -- aided by the strong Colombian involvement in
cycling at the time and accompanied by large quantities of cocaine.

Is cocaine a performance enhancer for a bike racer? I confess (blushes
sheepishly) to never having tried the stuff.

Jacques Anquetil and a few thousand race horses seemed OK
with it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 22nd 12, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
yirgster

cicero venatio wrote:
Fignon on doping,

copied excerpt--

In the book, Fignon admitted to doping, describing drug-taking in the
1980s as widespread. He said it was recreational rather than
performance-enhancing -- aided by the strong Colombian involvement in
cycling at the time and accompanied by large quantities of cocaine.

Is cocaine a performance enhancer for a bike racer? I confess (blushes
sheepishly) to never having tried the stuff.

Jacques Anquetil and a few thousand race horses seemed OK
with it.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

How does cocaine improve performance? Like, the pharmacology/biology. Is this something "well known" and, dare I add, validated (other than anecdotally) about cocaine? I never would have thought of it in that light.

What I think of is: the cocaine scene it Annie Hall.
Old June 22nd 12, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Steve Freides[_2_]

cicero venatio wrote:
[...]

Well, that's why I asked - I can't imagine it would help but I don't
really have any idea.

-S-