World Cycling Videos

Old November 28th 05, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default World Cycling Videos

Well, I've received and watched (twice) the LONG version of the latest
World Cycling Videos Tour de France and I have to tell you that this
year the coverage bears a faint resemblance to the past versions.

To start with - if you have high fidelity sound you will find in many
places that Phil and Paul are completely drowned out by background
noise SUCH AS MOTORCYCLE NOISE! In places they are drowned out by other
commentators in another language.

You can somewhat rectify this by disconnecting your stereo sound system
and using just the small tinny speaker in your TV set so that isn't
exactly insurmountable. But the sound production this year was the
worst yet. Though I have to say that in the past they haven't had any
noticeable problems.

And the coverage seems to be mostly the full length coverage of the
mountain stages. Now of course that's where all of the important action
occurs in the GC but in the past they didn't seem to be quite so
spotty. There ARE after all, other stages than the climbing ones.

Finally I have to complain about the scenic crap inserted just to fill
up space. I love France and it is a beautiful country but surely Chris
Boardman is more interesting on a Tour de France tape than pictures of
French castles from a helicopter.

I don't know what happened this year since World Cycling Videos have
done a great job in previous attempts. And I hope that next year they
do better than this.

But I have to say that although it is still worth buying the long
version, it is a shadow of what it should have been.

Old November 29th 05, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Speaking of World Cycling videos, has anybody ordered and received a
copy of "Overcoming" from them?

I'm thinking of ordering a copy of "Overcoming" and "Hell On Wheels"
for Xmas. According to WCP's site -- http://tinyurl.com/duxfb
"Overcoming" was expected to start shipping by mid-November. It is
now late November and that message is still on the webpage.

Any idea if it is shipping already or will ship in time for Xmas?

J. Spaceman
Old November 29th 05, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Jason Spaceman" wrote in message
Speaking of World Cycling videos, has anybody ordered and received a
copy of "Overcoming" from them?

I'm thinking of ordering a copy of "Overcoming" and "Hell On Wheels"
for Xmas. According to WCP's site -- http://tinyurl.com/duxfb
"Overcoming" was expected to start shipping by mid-November. It is
now late November and that message is still on the webpage.

Any idea if it is shipping already or will ship in time for Xmas?

LOL. This is typical of WCP. The 05 Giro dvd was months late. Wait a year
and the price will be about 50% off and it will be in stock.

Old November 29th 05, 12:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

A Canadian company is also taking pre-orders for "Overcoming" --
http://adrenalinefilms.ca/Overcoming-DVD/ The website says "Pre-order
now for December delivery". Since I'm in Canada it might be cheaper
for me to order from the above company (cheaper shipping, no Canada
Customs to worry about, etc. WCP's shipping rates are rather steep).

Team CSC's website lists the Overcoming release date as Nov. 29
(today!), although the version they are selling is formatted for
Europe, S. Africa, and Japan --
http://www.team-csc.com/shop_products.asp?cat_id=7

J. Spaceman

Old November 29th 05, 09:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Jason Spaceman" wrote in message
Speaking of World Cycling videos, has anybody ordered and received a
copy of "Overcoming" from them?

I'm thinking of ordering a copy of "Overcoming" and "Hell On Wheels"
for Xmas. According to WCP's site -- http://tinyurl.com/duxfb
"Overcoming" was expected to start shipping by mid-November. It is
now late November and that message is still on the webpage.

Any idea if it is shipping already or will ship in time for Xmas?

J. Spaceman

I ordered mine a few months ago. It hasn't shipped yet, nor have I received
a shipping notice. They sent me a 10% off anything due to the delay.

Cat

Old November 29th 05, 10:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Tom Kunich says...

Finally I have to complain about the scenic crap inserted just to fill
up space. I love France and it is a beautiful country but surely Chris
Boardman is more interesting on a Tour de France tape than pictures of
French castles from a helicopter.

I heard that if you overlay the castle footage and do a FFT analysis while
watching the video in reverse, you see Lance getting shot up with EPO on the
balcony of one of the castles.

Has anyone confirmed this yet?

Old November 30th 05, 01:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Mad Dog wrote:
Tom Kunich says...

Finally I have to complain about the scenic crap inserted just to fill
up space. I love France and it is a beautiful country but surely Chris
Boardman is more interesting on a Tour de France tape than pictures of
French castles from a helicopter.

I heard that if you overlay the castle footage and do a FFT analysis while
watching the video in reverse, you see Lance getting shot up with EPO on the
balcony of one of the castles.

Has anyone confirmed this yet?

No way. That French helicopter footage is only about 4 km resolution.