Ping MattB, Shawn (CO Boys)

Old July 5th 06, 10:32 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Ping MattB, Shawn (CO Boys)

small change wrote:
Does it get too hot or are storms the problem?

Storms. Being above tree line in a lightning storm is pretty intimidating.
We'll need to start pretty early (for me) too. By 9:00 should be fine for
Saturday. Most of the high exposed stuff happens pretty early in the ride
and then we drop into the trees.

Matt

Ah c'mon, a good lightning exposure above tree line would be a GREAT welcome
to Colorado for Mitch. You haven't lived until you can smell ozone, your
hair is standing on end, and you can hear the electricity crackling in the
air.

Plus, aren't you grounded if you are on a bike?

ps

I've already been there, two years ago in the back bowls of vail.
Lightening within feet of me, golf ball hail, and nothing but a couple
of rocks and a tree.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old July 6th 06, 12:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

"Craig Brossman" wrote in message news:acCdnTVyAMyoYTbZnZ2dnUVZ_omdnZ2d@brainstormin ternet.net...
Ride-A-Lot wrote:
MattB wrote:
G.T. wrote:
MattB wrote:
Shuttling Agate is what you took me, JD, and Sorni on, right? If so, I'd definitely recommend it for R-A-L and GeeDubb,
especially if they're going to be doing another big ride the next day. We did 401 from Crested Butte the next day and I don't
think the Agate Creek ride affected me much.

Greg

Yeah, that was it. It's what I'm leaning towards too.

Matt

It's all new to me, so lead on. I don't complain much, just pass out.

We are still planning on Molas-Coal Bank-Cascade Creek, on Sunday.
The real issue will be weather. At best we will start riding at 9:00. If the weather pattern holds the same, it will be difficult
to convince the group to start the ride considering how much time you spend above tree line.
We may have to form a back up plan, which is difficult because everything between Ridgway and Durango is high elevation.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado

Owner/Operator of the Pekingnese Ranch.

Just give me a time and place to be and we'll be there.

Gary

Old July 7th 06, 09:21 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Tom Purvis wrote:
MattB wrote:

...But come along if you want, that would be fun. I may have some
skier friends coming too so we might have a reasonable group.
Besides the Crest, we could also do Agate Creek for a slightly shorter,
but similarly spectacular ride (they have the same ridegline section of
trail).
We can always decide last minute too...

Hey Matt and fellers, Shawn told me about this plan, and I'm
going to join y'all if that's OK. I'm going to drive my truck over
to Sargents early, climb up Old Monarch, and be at Monarch
(new Monarch) by 9am. Then I'll join you if you're still going
down Agate, so I can get at least 2 or 3 people a lift up to
the pass to get your vehicles.

I think Shawn was planning to have his wife help with shuttling,
but perhaps she won't need to, since you guys will be able to
just show up at Monarch without worrying about leaving a
vehicle at the bottom.

Do please let me know if you decide to drop your plans.
Email me at team_bfd at yahoo d0t com.
--
Tom Purvis
Salida, CO - http://www.arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

Nice! You're doing it the "real" way! Of course you're welcome to join,
especially if you are going to do some shuttling!

I'll send out another email, but let's amend the plan to just meet at
the top parking lot at 9:00. That will save Mitch having to come down
the West side until we ride it.

Matt
Old July 9th 06, 03:50 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Tom Purvis

MattB wrote:
... the plan to just meet at
the top parking lot at 9:00. That will save Mitch having to come down
the West side until we ride it.

This ride suffered from unfortunate timing. We had biblical rain
yesterday.

My friend Andrew and I started out before 7 AM riding up to Monarch
Pass to meet the fellers. It was sprinkling on us under heavy cloud
cover, but normal CO weather would dictate that this would burn off
at least temporarily for a little bit of pretty morning weather at
least before the afternoon rain.

Well, it wasn't normal CO weather. About halfway up the 9 mile climb
it started raining HARD. Since we were climbing, we didn't really get
cold. Until we got to the top, that is. We put on rain gear and rode
the mile or so of singletrack from Old Monarch Pass to Monarch
Pass. The rain was even harder, and a cold wind was blowing.

Andrew and I went into the john to wring out the clothing that
could be wrung out. Then we hung out in the gift shop at Monarch
Pass and discussed options. As we watched, the rain came down
harder still. Eventually I caught a ride down to retrieve my truck
from the west side, and Andrew and I went home. MattB, Shawn,
and the rest were considering trying to ride at Hartmans.

It took me the rest of the day to shake my chill, and it rained HARD
all day in Salida. Too bad, I was really looking forward to Agate with
the a.m-b crew. Another time I guess...
--
Tom Purvis
Salida, CO - http://arkansasvalley.net/tpurvis/

Old July 9th 06, 06:22 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

"Tom Purvis" wrote in message oups.com...
MattB wrote:
[...]

As we all arrived in Gunnison the rain let up to let us enjoy breakfast at the Quarter Circle. Arriving at Hartman's only brought
the rain back but the trail drained well and we rode. Matt rolled a large drop and managed to break his seat so we turned about,
not wanting Matt to suffer from a horrible demise......

As it was, some of us were having shifting and chain suck issues due to the grit covered chains and gears.

I'm now switching my brakes over to discs.........

It was nice to meet new AMBer's even though we didn't all get to ride together. Another time, maybe in early October.......

On the way from Gunnison to Montrose we hit torrential rains limiting visibility to about 50 feet. It was so loud I didn't hear my
cell phone ring....Mitch wanting to ask if we were in a Florida hurricane. Some weather and it continues to rain yet today.

Gary

ping ... ping ping ... DaveB Australia 9 October 11th 04 08:17 AM
Boys, boys, boys... calm down ;-) dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers UK 10 July 24th 04 08:38 PM
Strange 'ping'! Paul Davis UK 4 July 8th 04 10:01 AM
Boys banned from riding to school Extract from BBC News page Paul Moss UK 143 April 20th 04 08:05 PM