OT - PLONK!

Old February 23rd 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Michael Baldwin

Default OT - PLONK!

...I really don't mind POV's which differ from my own, but to berate a
fellow poster then announce you've just dumped them in the killfile is
kinda like thumbing your opponent in the eye with 5 seconds remaining in
the final round of boxing match...

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Old February 23rd 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_6_]

..I really don't mind POV's which differ from my own, but to berate a
fellow poster then announce you've just dumped them in the killfile is
kinda like thumbing your opponent in the eye with 5 seconds remaining in
the final round of boxing match...

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Seems to me it's the final straw for someone who has gone too far. When I
plonk someone, it's because I am so disgusted that I don't wish to see
anything from the other person from that point onward. I plonked a guy on
another newsgroup yesterday for continually spewing homophobic nonsense
after being told by several people that he should stop it. You want me to
continue reading his vile rants so I can, what, engage him in discourse?
Forget that!

Pat in TX

Old February 23rd 08, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pat ? wrote:
..I really don't mind POV's which differ from my own, but to berate a
fellow poster then announce you've just dumped them in the killfile is
kinda like thumbing your opponent in the eye with 5 seconds remaining in
the final round of boxing match...

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Seems to me it's the final straw for someone who has gone too far. When I
plonk someone, it's because I am so disgusted that I don't wish to see
anything from the other person from that point onward. I plonked a guy on
another newsgroup yesterday for continually spewing homophobic nonsense
after being told by several people that he should stop it. You want me to
continue reading his vile rants so I can, what, engage him in discourse?
Forget that!

If you kill-file someone, you should not comment on doing so, or on the
kill-filed poster in the future.

Old February 23rd 08, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"Harry Brogan" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 08:59:35 -0600, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Pat ? wrote:
[...]

The main thing is that if you have kill-filed someone, then you no longer
have any right to mention that person by name. Do that and you will reap the
whirlwind.

I too have no problem with different points of view. That's what
actually helps people out in the long run.

However, when a person or persons consistently posts nothing but
drivel, knocks, slams or any other garbage that is spewed then there
is no choice but to put these people on a "plonk" list.

Unfortunately, there ARE people that continue to respond by quoting
them. Therefore passing by the kill-file and, occasionally, one reads
this trash.

If more folks would stop quoting the drivel then the poster would
probably stop.

I do not like to have to use a kill-file but there are some instances
which I do use them. I have been using the newsgroups for many years
now and have seen these types come and go. They will always be around
as you can't please all of the people. There are going to be
disagreements and discussions that will sometimes become heated.

But there is absolutely no reason to continually slam and berate
people who are posting questions and answers that make sense to them.
As I learned many years ago, the only stupid question is the one that
is never asked.

I'll continue to post from time to time here and other places in the
newsgroups, as I have done for many years.

I have no problem with those like Harry Brogan who want to kill-file. It is
good riddance to them as far as I am concerned. They are mostly idiots
anyway who cannot take disputation. But since he has kill-filed Ed Dolan the
Great, he had better not mention him by name or the Great One will piller
him from post to post on multiple cycling newsgroups like the dodo that he
is.

If you want to comment on Ed Dolan the Great, then you have to read his
original posts and not just partial quotations from others. There is no
other way.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old February 23rd 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
ZBicyclist

Harry Brogan wrote:

I too have no problem with different points of view. That's what
actually helps people out in the long run.

However, when a person or persons consistently posts nothing but
drivel, knocks, slams or any other garbage that is spewed then there
is no choice but to put these people on a "plonk" list.

Unfortunately, there ARE people that continue to respond by quoting
them. Therefore passing by the kill-file and, occasionally, one reads
this trash.

If more folks would stop quoting the drivel then the poster would
probably stop.

Amen.

It's best not to announce that you've killfiled someone. If they get the
idea that they have been killfiled by too many people, they might get a new
e-mail address and start the whole cycle over again. Besides, I suspect
some people LIKE to see how often they are killfiled -- it's like a troll
who likes to see how long a thread they can create.

Old February 23rd 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"ZBicyclist" wrote in message
t...
Harry Brogan wrote:

[...]

It is clear we do not ever have to concern ourselves with ZB ever doing one
or the other. He is good for an occasional amen, but not for much else. He
is your typical newsgroup dummy in that respect.

Old February 23rd 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent[_3_]

It's best not to announce that you've killfiled someone. If they get the
idea that they have been killfiled by too many people, they might get a
new e-mail address and start the whole cycle over again. Besides, I
suspect some people LIKE to see how often they are killfiled -- it's like
a troll who likes to see how long a thread they can create.

I agree. Just do it. Making a grand entrance is like making a grand exit. It
labels you as a drama queen.

gotbent aka frvt rider

Old February 23rd 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_6_]

If you kill-file someone, you should not comment on doing so, or on the
kill-filed poster in the future.

I don't agree. Many times some newbie will come along and get attacked by
the person who has been killfiled for good reason. If you don't tell the
newbie about the idiot, then the newbie might just leave the newsgroup.

Pat in TX

Old February 23rd 08, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_6_]

Unfortunately, there ARE people that continue to respond by quoting
them. Therefore passing by the kill-file and, occasionally, one reads
this trash.

If more folks would stop quoting the drivel then the poster would
probably stop.

Amen! I get so irritated when some idiot posts the entire drivel of the
notorious kill-filed person and then puts a one liner at the bottom that
says something like "no wonder you've been kill-filed!" Well, duh!

Pat in TX

Old February 23rd 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"gotbent" wrote in message
.. .

ZBicyclist wrote:

It's best not to announce that you've killfiled someone. If they get the
idea that they have been killfiled by too many people, they might get a
new e-mail address and start the whole cycle over again. Besides, I
suspect some people LIKE to see how often they are killfiled -- it's like
a troll who likes to see how long a thread they can create.

I believe Tom Sherman and Ed Dolan created one of the longest threads in
Usenet history. It had to do with the War in Iraq.

I agree. Just do it. Making a grand entrance is like making a grand exit.
It labels you as a drama queen.

Nonsense! Parting is such sorrow that you have to do it over and over. I
myself have already taken 6 final farewells from the newsgroups with much
swearing and slamming of doors.

gotbent aka frvt rider

What does frvt stand for?