Any very, very thick tubes for 29er mountain bikes?

Old December 27th 14, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_3_]

Default Any very, very thick tubes for 29er mountain bikes?

Joerg wrote:
John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 26 Dec 2014 07:16:15 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Thu, 25 Dec 2014 12:15:58 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

James wrote:
On 16/12/14 04:48, Joerg wrote:
James wrote:
On 15/12/14 03:06, Joerg wrote:
My bike retailed for $2k and can carry just me, my SUV for $17k and can
carry half a ton. A name brand SUV tire costs me around $70 and lasts
north of 50,000 miles (only because of age, else over 100,000 miles). A
name brand MTB tire costs me $50 and last around 500 miles. Brake pads
for my SUV are $17 per wheel and last well over 100,000 miles. For the
MTB they cost $16 per wheel and last 500 miles.

Any questions?

Will your SUV carry half a ton over the same tracks as you ride your
bicycle, and if it will at all, for how many miles before it breaks or
wears out?

It has done so, many times. Firewood, equipment, and so on. This
included rides where the suspension repeatedly bottomed out, something I
never make my MTB do. In fact, the SUV bounced and shakes a lot more
than my MTB when barreling down the same dirt road at the same speed.
The suspension on modern MTB is clearly superior to that on my MTB. The
problem is that the stuff on MTBs is not nearly as reliable and durable.
Even though I afford the MTB a lot of TLC while the SUV gets almost
nothing other than oil changes and stuff.

Most SUVs would not make it down the tracks you posted pictures of, yet
now you tell me you drive them with loads of firewood and bounce all
over with no problem.

Not the singletrack, of course. But road like Chapparal that I posted.
On an MTB that shakes steerers loose (just tightened up mine a few
minutes ago, again), eats tires, results in flats, and so on. In the SUV
none of this happens.

I guess when you replace the ICE in your pick up with a human you'll
find the answer.

What's an ICE?
Gee, you live in California and you don't know what "Ice" is?

Googling on "what is ice" and gets some 862 million responses and the
very first one is "Drugs Campaign - What is ice?".

No clue. I don't do drugs, never did, and I do not plan to.

Does the fact that you don't do drugs somehow imply that simply
because you don't do something you don't know anything about it.

It usually implies that to a large extent. People who do not drink
typically won't be able to tell what IPA or ESB means. I drink beer so I
do know.

Either you have "done" a nearly immeasurable number of things or you
are singularly ignorant of life.

Nonsense. I don't do drugs and I am not around people who do drugs so I
naturally do not know abbreviations or acronyms related to that scene
nor do I know too many details about the effects of drugs.

Let's cut this short, Joerg. ICE stands for Internal Combustion Engine.
Old December 27th 14, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, December 27, 2014 2:03:54 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, December 27, 2014 12:49:32 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Joerg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

[...]

The thing about culture is that we can learn vicariously.
Well, we can, if we often do not.

Sure, I learn almost every day. But the stuff that interests
me and drugs just aren't on the priority list.

Yesterday I learned goat herding with a mountain bike :-)

Oh, and I also learned that some bike path builders must
anticipate seriously overweight riders :-)

http://www.analogconsultants.com/ng/bike/Bridge1.JPG

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Or the need for maintenance vehicles to cross over too.

It's quite narrow and the rails are not detachable, there can't be
any heavy duty vehicles on it. Also, the path narrows shortly later
where there is are (welded) hand rails for pedestrians.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Should show that narrow section with the steel handrails for
pedestrians. Around here even the narrow rail-trail is wide enough
though barely for a maintenance pickup to navigate. When that does
happen bicyclists have to move off the trail to pass the pickup.
Depending where on the trail the pickup is that might meran a short
hike through woods to get around the truck.

A smaller pickup truck could likely squeeze through. But even a large
one won't weight five tons and it can't be on there with both axles.

We have similar trail rules when encountering horses. Generally we have
to get off the MTB and step aside. But I'd do that anyhow because I like
to pet the horse.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 27th 14, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Ralph Barone wrote:

wrote:

James wrote:
On 16/12/14 04:48, Joerg wrote:
James wrote:
On 15/12/14 03:06, Joerg wrote:
[...]

Won't work in this pickup truck :-)

http://www.electriccarsdaily.com/201...-the-distance/

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 27th 14, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 27/12/14 04:01, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/26/2014 10:19 AM, Joerg wrote:
James wrote:
On 26/12/14 07:32, Joerg wrote:

Have you ridden a 29er for extended periods of time on a trail?

No, and I don't do endos either.

Then you can't even compare. And if the trails you ride are mostly like
the on in the video you posted then endos are indeed unlikely.

Let's face it: Nobody anywhere rides as tough as Joerg does. Nobody.

I wasn't bothering to respond, but was thinking the same.

--
JS
Old December 28th 14, 03:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

For a group of wannabe racers, your thoughts here are unforged -

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world."

Quoted in interview by G.S. Viereck , October 26,1929. Reprinted in "Glimpses of the Great"(1930).

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Then Al goes on to say -

The only source of knowledge is experience.

Albert Einstein

rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

(Manifest destiny and all that)

Believe that life is worth living and your belief will help create the fact.

William James

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Quality is a direct experience independent of and prior to intellectual abstractions.

Robert M. Pirsig

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

Soren Kierkegaard

( Soren was a farmer )

29er tubes in fat 700x40 touring tires Maceo Techniques 9 September 29th 09 06:23 AM
29er tubes without presta Daytripper63 Unicycling 1 January 19th 07 06:27 AM
29er tubes without presta markf Unicycling 0 January 19th 07 06:04 AM
bikes in tubes Ian Smith UK 12 February 14th 05 04:00 PM
Questions about old bikes (was Double Top Tubes?) papercut Techniques 31 January 26th 04 04:49 AM