How would you rate today's stage w/ Chiappucci in '92?

Old July 21st 06, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Bob Lee

Default How would you rate today's stage w/ Chiappucci in '92?

Like Landis, Chiappucci broke away early from his main competitors and
pretty much solo'd the rest of way. And I actually though there was more
drama in '92, as for awhile it looked like Vona and Indurain were going to
catch up on Sestrieres...but then Big Mig blew up just a few km's before the
finish. And since Chiappucci was winning a stage that finished in Italy the
fans lining the course were unbelievable...a couple of times he pretty much
had to come to a dead stop.

Old July 21st 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
benjo maso

"Bob Lee" wrote in message
om...
Like Landis, Chiappucci broke away early from his main competitors and
pretty much solo'd the rest of way. And I actually though there was more
drama in '92, as for awhile it looked like Vona and Indurain were going to
catch up on Sestrieres...but then Big Mig blew up just a few km's before
the finish. And since Chiappucci was winning a stage that finished in
Italy the fans lining the course were unbelievable...a couple of times he
pretty much had to come to a dead stop.

Chiapucci's exploit in itself was even more impressive that Landis'. First
of all, Chiappucci was already 200 km before the finish in the lead, second
the climbs were harder than today. On the other hand, because of the
importance of the stage (last mountain stage), and above all, because of
Landis' collapse the day before, his victory was IMO far more dramatic.

Benjo

Old July 21st 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Bob Lee wrote:
Like Landis, Chiappucci broke away early from his main competitors and
pretty much solo'd the rest of way. And I actually though there was more
drama in '92, as for awhile it looked like Vona and Indurain were going to
catch up on Sestrieres...but then Big Mig blew up just a few km's before the
finish. And since Chiappucci was winning a stage that finished in Italy the
fans lining the course were unbelievable...a couple of times he pretty much
had to come to a dead stop.

Back in 92 it was Claudio vs Indurain. Today it was Floyd vs.
Everyone.
Chiapucci did lead over every mountain however. Floyd looks like he
can
turn this into a victory, unlike Claudio backl in the day. Either way
two epic
stages.

Old July 21st 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan Gringioni

benjo maso wrote:
"Bob Lee" wrote in message
om...
Like Landis, Chiappucci broke away early from his main competitors and
pretty much solo'd the rest of way. And I actually though there was more
drama in '92, as for awhile it looked like Vona and Indurain were going to
catch up on Sestrieres...but then Big Mig blew up just a few km's before
the finish. And since Chiappucci was winning a stage that finished in
Italy the fans lining the course were unbelievable...a couple of times he
pretty much had to come to a dead stop.

Chiapucci's exploit in itself was even more impressive that Landis'. First
of all, Chiappucci was already 200 km before the finish in the lead, second
the climbs were harder than today. On the other hand, because of the
importance of the stage (last mountain stage), and above all, because of
Landis' collapse the day before, his victory was IMO far more dramatic.

Dumbass -

Agreed and also if Landis ends up winning the overall because of
today's incredible ride, Chiapucci's ride won't compare because the
overall GC winner that year was still Miguel Indurain.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

Old July 21st 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Stu Fleming

Bob Lee wrote:
Like Landis, Chiappucci broke away early from his main competitors and
pretty much solo'd the rest of way. And I actually though there was more
drama in '92, as for awhile it looked like Vona and Indurain were going to
catch up on Sestrieres...but then Big Mig blew up just a few km's before the
finish. And since Chiappucci was winning a stage that finished in Italy the
fans lining the course were unbelievable...a couple of times he pretty much
had to come to a dead stop.

Floyd forgot to bunnyhop his bike over each mountain prime.
Old July 21st 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"benjo maso" wrote in message

"Bob Lee" wrote in message
om...
Like Landis, Chiappucci broke away early from his main competitors and
pretty much solo'd the rest of way. And I actually though there was more
drama in '92, as for awhile it looked like Vona and Indurain were going
to catch up on Sestrieres...but then Big Mig blew up just a few km's
before the finish. And since Chiappucci was winning a stage that
finished in Italy the fans lining the course were unbelievable...a couple
of times he pretty much had to come to a dead stop.

Chiapucci's exploit in itself was even more impressive that Landis'. First
of all, Chiappucci was already 200 km before the finish in the lead,
second the climbs were harder than today. On the other hand, because of
the importance of the stage (last mountain stage), and above all, because
of Landis' collapse the day before, his victory was IMO far more dramatic.

Far more hung on this ride than on Il Diablo's.

Old July 21st 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SH

On 20 Jul 2006 20:01:21 -0700, "Kurgan Gringioni"
wrote:

benjo maso wrote:
"Bob Lee" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Dumbasses,

Did Ciapucci call his shot? Landis did:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...dis/index.html

I stood in front of the bus for a few moments when a wiry figure
appeared in the windshield. It was nice to see Landis smiling, I
remember thinking --- good to see that he'd already come to terms with
it. I offered what amounted to condolences. He accepted them
graciously. I told him how much I was looking forward to Saturday's
time trial, when he would have the opportunity to salvage something
from a Tour gone awry.

His smile came back. "You know," he said, "we may be able to get some
of that time back today."

He meant every syllable of that. Somehow, word got out in the peloton
that the Phonaks were going to try something preposterous. By doing
so, they would be inflicting suffering on the rest of a Tour-weary
bunch. Which explains why a number of riders coasted up to Landis
before the first mountain, imploring him not to attempt something so
foolhardy. As Landis would later recall, "I just told 'em, Go drink
some Coke, 'cause we're leaving on the first climb if you want to come
along.'"
Old July 21st 06, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
SH wrote:

"I just told 'em, `Go drink some Coke, 'cause we're
leaving on the first climb if you want to come along'."

That's immortal.

--
Michael Press
Old July 21st 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RonSonic

On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 15:13:44 +1200, Stu Fleming wrote:

Bob Lee wrote:
Like Landis, Chiappucci broke away early from his main competitors and
pretty much solo'd the rest of way. And I actually though there was more
drama in '92, as for awhile it looked like Vona and Indurain were going to
catch up on Sestrieres...but then Big Mig blew up just a few km's before the
finish. And since Chiappucci was winning a stage that finished in Italy the
fans lining the course were unbelievable...a couple of times he pretty much
had to come to a dead stop.

Floyd forgot to bunnyhop his bike over each mountain prime.

Yeah, but he did do a cyclocross dismount after crossing the finish line.

Ron
Old July 21st 06, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

benjo maso wrote:
"Bob Lee" wrote in message
om...
Like Landis, Chiappucci broke away early from his main competitors and
pretty much solo'd the rest of way. And I actually though there was more
drama in '92, as for awhile it looked like Vona and Indurain were going to
catch up on Sestrieres...but then Big Mig blew up just a few km's before
the finish. And since Chiappucci was winning a stage that finished in
Italy the fans lining the course were unbelievable...a couple of times he
pretty much had to come to a dead stop.

Chiapucci's exploit in itself was even more impressive that Landis'. First
of all, Chiappucci was already 200 km before the finish in the lead, second
the climbs were harder than today. On the other hand, because of the
importance of the stage (last mountain stage), and above all, because of
Landis' collapse the day before, his victory was IMO far more dramatic.

IIRC, on the last climb, Indurain clawed his way to within 2 minutes of
Chiapucci, only to have Chiapucci dig in and hold him off, even opening
the gap to Indurain. Only time I recall during Indurain's peak where he
wasn't able to dispatch any rider.

Stage 9 Bob Schwartz Racing 1 July 21st 05 06:35 AM
Stage 10 Bob Schwartz Racing 0 July 12th 05 06:09 AM
Thor Hushovd wins todays stage Mikey Mountain Biking 5 July 13th 04 10:17 PM
2004 TdF route prediction trg Racing 43 October 12th 03 10:06 PM
The Graciousness Of A Champion hold my beer and watch this... Racing 41 September 4th 03 08:14 PM