double eyelet vs. single eyelet rims

Old December 6th 07, 07:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff[_4_]

Default double eyelet vs. single eyelet rims

Would someone please explain to me the practical difference (pros and cons)
of double eyelet vs. single eyelet rims?

In looking at the DT Swiss web site, they mention that their RR 1.1 and 1.2
rims come in both double and single, but I can't find this spec on any of
the bike shops info, and don't really know how much it matters - if at all.

Jeff

Old December 6th 07, 09:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jeff wrote:

Would someone please explain to me the practical difference (pros and cons)
of double eyelet vs. single eyelet rims?

Double eyeleted rims have two main benefits over single eyeleted rims:

1) Their eyelets share spoke tension loads between inner and outer rim
walls, reducing the probability of cracking at the drillings and
making the rims stronger and more durable, all else equal.

2) The eyelets block off the openings to the rim channel, making it
almost impossible to lose nipples in there when lacing the wheels.

Single eyelets serve no major structural function the way double
eyelets do (when they are well made). Single eyelets, also called
grommets, are mainly just bearings for the spoke nipples. In days of
yore, a single eyelet occasionally broke and spat the outer ring of
metal up the spoke. That does not seem to be a frequent problem any
more. It last happened to me 2-3 years ago, on a wheel I built about
8-9 years ago.

The main drawback to double eyelets these days is that most of them
are made by Mavic, whose products have slipped a long way from their
former premium status. The only thing about Mavic rims that could
accurately be described as premium anymore is the price.

There are more important things to look for in a rim besides double
eyelets. 6061 alloy or better, a nice tidy rim joint, and an
appropriate cross-section for your application should be near the top
of the priority list.

Chalo
Old December 7th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
The main drawback to double eyelets these days is that most of them
are made by Mavic, whose products have slipped a long way from their
former premium status. The only thing about Mavic rims that could
accurately be described as premium anymore is the price.

butbutbut, Mavic rims have European Heritage & Mystique [TM]!

"Localized intense suction such as tornadoes is created when temperature
differences are high enough between meeting air masses, and can impart
excessive energy onto a cyclist." - Randy Schlitter
Old December 7th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank Wirtz

On Dec 6, 1:59 am, Chalo wrote:
Jeff wrote:

[...]

I can wholeheartedly recommend Ambrosio's line of socketed rims,
having ridden the Excursion, Evolution, and Excellight SSC. The first
two I've also built with. Very nice rims.

If you can find them, the Ambrosio Nexus also is a fine rim, also
marketed in the US as the Torelli Master (2nd gen). From what I've
heard, they bought the extrusion die molds for the MA-2 from Mavic,
extrude straight stock in France, then ship that to Italy to be rolled
into rims and have the sockets installed. I don't think they're in
production any more though.
Old December 7th 07, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Tom Sherman wrote:

Chalo Colina wrote:
The main drawback to double eyelets these days is that most of them
are made by Mavic, whose products have slipped a long way from their
former premium status. The only thing about Mavic rims that could
accurately be described as premium anymore is the price.

butbutbut, Mavic rims have European Heritage & Mystique [TM]!

Ah yes, the Mavic EHM Systeme! I guess the patent must have expired
on "je ne sais quoi" (Mavic's proprietary JNSQ Process).

Good thing for Mavic that they possess the wisdom of Salomon to guide
them through troubled times.

Chalo
Old December 7th 07, 05:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark

Chalo wrote:
Tom Sherman wrote:
Chalo Colina wrote:
The main drawback to double eyelets these days is that most of them
are made by Mavic, whose products have slipped a long way from their
former premium status. The only thing about Mavic rims that could
accurately be described as premium anymore is the price.

butbutbut, Mavic rims have European Heritage & Mystique [TM]!

Ah yes, the Mavic EHM Systeme! I guess the patent must have expired
on "je ne sais quoi" (Mavic's proprietary JNSQ Process).

Good thing for Mavic that they possess the wisdom of Salomon to guide
them through troubled times.

I think you misspelled Salmon

-Mark, not yet underwater in the Pacific Northwest, where the Salmon roam.
Old December 7th 07, 09:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Mark wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Good thing for Mavic that they possess the wisdom of Salomon to guide
them through troubled times.

I think you misspelled Salmon

I was attempting a little inside joke.

http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-tr...4144159-1.html