hip replacement --and cycling

Old January 6th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ilaboo[_2_]

Default hip replacement --and cycling

i probably will need a total hip replacement ( one side) in the next 2
years.

i ride a mtb rather aggresively ( 68 years old)

if you have a hip replacement could you let me know what effect it has had
on you cycling? and how long it took after surgery to ride a bike again?
and what precautions you take while biking?
super thanks
peter

Old January 7th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"ilaboo" wrote: (clip) if you have a hip replacement could you let me know
what effect it has had
on you cycling? and how long it took after surgery to ride a bike again?
and what precautions you take while biking? (clip)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I stopped riding a number of years ago because of the pain in my hip. After
the surgery, I was back on the bike within a few months. You have to heed a
mixed message. Riding helps you recover. However, my surgeon warned me
that if I fell and broke my hip, my life would never be the same again. So,
at first I was pretty nervous, but I don't even think about the hip any
more. I recommend that you start riding smoother trails at first, and
extend yourself gradually, without overextending yourself. If you feel
yourself falling to the bad side, try to fall on your shoulder. I have done
this a few times, and my hip is still fine. I stay off the really rough
stuff, especially where my replacement hip is on the downhill side. (I'll
be 80 in a few days.)

See whether you are a candidate for minimally invasive surgery. You'll be
back on your feet sooner and need fewer pain pills. Unfortunately, for
technical reasons, I had to do it the old fashioned way.

Old January 7th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ilaboo[_2_]

"
leo
i super apprciate your comments--if i need a replacement my plans are to
continue swimming and really moderate my cycling--i hve had a good life with
no regrets

once agin thank you

pter

Old January 7th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SlowRider

On Jan 6, 5:57 pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
this a few times, and my hip is still fine. I stay off the really rough
stuff, especially where my replacement hip is on the downhill side. (I'll
be 80 in a few days.)

You guys are inspiring! As I near 50, I sometimes wonder how many
years of cycling I've got left. If I'm still pedaling over rough
trails when I'm 80, I'll be one happy person.

- JR
Old January 7th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
ilaboo[_2_]

You guys are inspiring! As I near 50, I sometimes wonder how many
years of cycling I've got left. If I'm still pedaling over rough
trails when I'm 80, I'll be one happy person.

all i can say is watch the wear and tear on your knees and above all keep
your weight down--listen very careful to what your body is telling you--also
do not work your way thru pain
hth

peter

Old January 7th 08, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Andrew Price

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 16:22:08 GMT, "ilaboo"
wrote:

You guys are inspiring! As I near 50, I sometimes wonder how many
years of cycling I've got left. If I'm still pedaling over rough
trails when I'm 80, I'll be one happy person.

Yes, Leo is indeed an inspiration - and quite apart from the fact that
he's nearly eighty, he talks a lot of good sense. I read all his
posts.

all i can say is watch the wear and tear on your knees

Indeed - they are also, like hip joints, a "consumable" item.
Old January 7th 08, 10:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mike McGuire[_2_]

ilaboo wrote:
i probably will need a total hip replacement ( one side) in the next 2
years.

i ride a mtb rather aggresively ( 68 years old)

if you have a hip replacement could you let me know what effect it has had
on you cycling? and how long it took after surgery to ride a bike again?
and what precautions you take while biking?
super thanks
peter

I had one done 8 years ago when I was 54. I did a lot of research and
ended up going for a newer type of replacement call surface replacement
which is a better deal for an active person. See
http://www.surfacehippy.info/

Two months after surgery I started in on the physical therapy. The first
thing that happened in the first PT session was that I was told to get
on the exercise bike and warm up for 15 minutes. Obvious question then
was "Hey can I get back on my regular bike?" Answer: "Yes, just don't
overdo it." I don't take any particular precautions beyond what anyone
my age, hip problem or not, would take.

Mike McGuire
Old January 8th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Happy birthday, Leo! [was: hip replacement --and cycling]

On Jan 6, 7:57 pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
(I'll be 80 in a few days.)

Hey! Happy birthday, Leo!

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 8th 08, 03:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ted

It is not exactly what you are planning, but read this weeks
RoadBikeRider.com newsletter, Issue No. 324 - 01/03/08. Ed broke his
hip last summer and is still not on the bike, but Jim hasn't missed at
least one hour per day since 1993. And don't forget about Floyd; he
finished 2nd is a very tough race last summer, apparently partly
because of a flat tire.

Good luck. Pedaling is good for the hip, just stay upright.

Ted.

hub replacement lucky_8 Unicycling 7 June 14th 06 06:01 PM
still no replacement wafflycat UK 7 June 9th 06 09:44 PM
DIY hub replacement Chris Smith UK 8 April 5th 06 06:11 PM
24 Hr. replacement hell-on-wheel Unicycling 7 May 11th 05 07:51 PM
knee replacement and cycling Patrick Clark General 2 August 4th 04 04:34 AM