A Great Way to Re-Unite the World!

Old May 9th 10, 08:24 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

Default A Great Way to Re-Unite the World!

What better way to generate good-will among people, than to work
TOGETHER to solve a mutual problem! Let's work through the United
Nations, and clean up our mess!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/...tic_ocean_junk
Old May 10th 10, 06:44 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

On May 9, 12:24*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
What better way to generate good-will among people, than to work
TOGETHER to solve a mutual problem! Let's work through the United
Nations, and clean up our mess!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/...b_atlantic_oce...

Not that I disagree with this idea, but my impression was the
scientists said that what's there cannot practically be cleaned up.
All we can do stop throwing junk in from this point onward. How the
UN will help with this is beyond me (for which I am sure you'll be
compelled to call me an idiot).

Bruce
Old May 10th 10, 11:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On May 10, 10:44*am, Bruce Jensen wrote:
On May 9, 12:24*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

What better way to generate good-will among people, than to work
TOGETHER to solve a mutual problem! Let's work through the United
Nations, and clean up our mess!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/...b_atlantic_oce...

Not that I disagree with this idea, but my impression was the
scientists said that what's there cannot practically be cleaned up.

A lot of it obviously can be, or it wouldn't be visible.

All we can do stop throwing junk in from this point onward. *How the
UN will help with this is beyond me (for which I am sure you'll be
compelled to call me an idiot).

Make phone calls? Form a committee? I feel like I'm talking to an
elementary school child. Does everything have to be spelled out for
you?
Bruce

Old May 11th 10, 08:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment

On Mon, 10 May 2010 15:30:37 -0700 (PDT), Mike Vandeman
wrote:

On May 10, 10:44*am, Bruce Jensen wrote:
On May 9, 12:24*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

What better way to generate good-will among people, than to work
TOGETHER to solve a mutual problem! Let's work through the United
Nations, and clean up our mess!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/...b_atlantic_oce...

Not that I disagree with this idea, but my impression was the
scientists said that what's there cannot practically be cleaned up.

A lot of it obviously can be, or it wouldn't be visible.

All we can do stop throwing junk in from this point onward. *How the
UN will help with this is beyond me (for which I am sure you'll be
compelled to call me an idiot).

Make phone calls? Form a committee? I feel like I'm talking to an
elementary school child. Does everything have to be spelled out for
you?
Bruce

Mike, I really support many of your positions and concepts. This post
is nonsense. We don't need to "re-unite" the world, we need to thin
out great masses to protect valuable species in Africa and to
eliminate third world population centers.

cole
Old May 11th 10, 09:13 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

On May 10, 3:30*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On May 10, 10:44*am, Bruce Jensen wrote:

On May 9, 12:24*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

What better way to generate good-will among people, than to work
TOGETHER to solve a mutual problem! Let's work through the United
Nations, and clean up our mess!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/...b_atlantic_oce....

Not that I disagree with this idea, but my impression was the
scientists said that what's there cannot practically be cleaned up.

A lot of it obviously can be, or it wouldn't be visible.

All we can do stop throwing junk in from this point onward. *How the
UN will help with this is beyond me (for which I am sure you'll be
compelled to call me an idiot).

Make phone calls? Form a committee? I feel like I'm talking to an
elementary school child. Does everything have to be spelled out for
you?

LOL! That's a good idea - and while we're at it, we can have a UN
bake sale!

When you meet the Wizard of Oz, let me know...perhaps he can help too.
Old May 11th 10, 09:30 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Bruce Jensen

On May 10, 3:30*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:
On May 10, 10:44*am, Bruce Jensen wrote:

On May 9, 12:24*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

What better way to generate good-will among people, than to work
TOGETHER to solve a mutual problem! Let's work through the United
Nations, and clean up our mess!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/...b_atlantic_oce....

Not that I disagree with this idea, but my impression was the
scientists said that what's there cannot practically be cleaned up.

A lot of it obviously can be, or it wouldn't be visible.

Did you even bother to READ the article? A quote, empahsis added:

"*Since there is no realistic way of cleaning the oceans, advocates
say the key is to keep more plastic out by raising awareness and,
wherever possible, challenging a throwaway culture that uses non-
biodegradable materials for disposable products*."

Obviously, it CAN'T be cleaned up with any known technology, *despite*
the fact that it is visible. Where do you get your logic from, a
gumball machine?

It goes on to say that the worst part of it, and most pervasive as
well, are the tiny, barely visible particles that enter the food chain
and cause the most grief. You desperately need something constructive
to do - why don't you develop a way to extract the quadrillions of
tiny plastic particles from the oceans? No one else cited in this
article has figured it out, but with that sterling Ph.D of yours, you
should have a solution in no time!
Old May 11th 10, 10:09 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Edward Dolan

"Bruce Jensen" wrote in message
[...]
"*Since there is no realistic way of cleaning the oceans, advocates

say the key is to keep more plastic out by raising awareness and,
wherever possible, challenging a throwaway culture that uses non-
biodegradable materials for disposable products*."

Obviously, it CAN'T be cleaned up with any known technology, *despite*

the fact that it is visible. Where do you get your logic from, a
gumball machine?

It goes on to say that the worst part of it, and most pervasive as

well, are the tiny, barely visible particles that enter the food chain
and cause the most grief. You desperately need something constructive
to do - why don't you develop a way to extract the quadrillions of
tiny plastic particles from the oceans? No one else cited in this
article has figured it out, but with that sterling Ph.D of yours, you
should have a solution in no time!

Bruce, it is no big deal to get a Ph.D. All it takes is time and lots of
forbearance. Pick an esoteric subject that no one else is interested in and
hop to it. Once you have got it, you can forever be known as Dr. Jensen.
There ... now don't you feel better already!

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old May 13th 10, 02:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On May 10, 10:44*am, Bruce Jensen wrote:
On May 9, 12:24*pm, Mike Vandeman wrote:

What better way to generate good-will among people, than to work
TOGETHER to solve a mutual problem! Let's work through the United
Nations, and clean up our mess!:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100415/...b_atlantic_oce...

Not that I disagree with this idea, but my impression was the
scientists said that what's there cannot practically be cleaned up.
All we can do stop throwing junk in from this point onward. *How the
UN will help with this is beyond me (for which I am sure you'll be
compelled to call me an idiot).

Bruce

We have both seen photos of a raft of large plastic objects floating
in the Pacific. Your hesitancy proves you are an ultra-conservative.
You don't want to actually attempt to FIX anything, you just like
complaining. Put your money where your mouth is.
Old May 13th 10, 02:13 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

wrote:
[...]

There isn't just ONE thing that needs to be done. There are at least
TWO problems with humans: their NUMBERS, and their BEHAVIOR. We need
to fix BOTH.

So how do you plan to reduce human numbers? Or do you just like
complaining.
Old May 13th 10, 02:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman[_4_]

On May 11, 1:13*pm, Bruce Jensen wrote:
[...]

You are just envious that you didn't think of it first. Or are you
someone who just likes to complain, & not DO anything effective to
solve the world's problems? ... Since I've never heard of you, it must
be the latter.

Unite & Repair spdrecrd Techniques 2 March 5th 09 05:41 PM
Going to Disney World, a great place to uni! ? Chrashing Unicycling 24 May 10th 08 02:55 AM
Let's Unite Against Jews and Mongrels! Nenad Milicevic - The Aryan Serb Techniques 5 August 30th 07 11:56 PM
World Transport - a great graphic.. PiledHigher Australia 2 August 28th 06 01:16 PM