Any very, very thick tubes for 29er mountain bikes?

Old December 15th 14, 12:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Any very, very thick tubes for 29er mountain bikes?

wears out?

____________^_____________^^___

miles and miles and miles

abso no contest....

drive slowly,roll roll roll doahn force the suspension rooollllll over the terrain.

tho speed over rough roads produces a smooth ride what gives is suspension slams up and down with great...and alarming if you watch this from alongside...but hits ground briefly and not often.

This action tears the (()) out of the underside but gives a smooth ride.

For evrey 100 feetof slow roll the sus gets a hit maybe once every 1000 feet but with speed the sus gets 1000 hits every 100 feet.

slow roll and heavy metal beats WW1 fighter planes every time.

IHS
Old December 15th 14, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
wooden ring ? video that for us wudja ?

Don't have a videro camera. Yes, I am one of those Luddites who does not
own a "smart" phone.

Ask you lovely bride to loan you one of hers, something like this:

http://www.simplywoodrings.com/

A cut off end of a sturdy paper towle core would also do. Or a 1-1/2"
pipe sliver. Or ...

... My patching suffers from an
under patch battle between slime and glue. A . Slime area enlarges to
0 under pressure. An air pathway then develops from the 0 to patch
edge with air then leaking out.

Never had a problem with that. Make sure you press the patch omnto the
hole first and then massage on the remainder of the patch.

My attempts come after hanging the holed tube with holeup for 203
days then working from that position.

I haven't ried this with more modern glues eg 3M lasttry was 8 years
ago.

Your self inflicted problem is curable with an extra tube layer as a
liner using a

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads...55358365.1.jpg

DIY cutter bolted to a wheel axle with new utility blades or find a
tube with use able mold lines.

liners are almost impossible to length right either too long or short
both coditions abrading the tube. \

expensive but broadens the approach

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rubber-sheets/=v0xa4k

Not sure where you are going with this or what would be self-inflicted.
The "inflictors" are goat head thorns. I have no control over where that
stuff grows on our trails.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old December 15th 14, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sunday, December 14, 2014 11:06:33 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Saturday, December 13, 2014 6:46:53 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Ideally I want a setup like on my SUV. It has done a lot of rough miles
and in over 17 years and over 77,000 miles never had a flat. Not one.
That's what I call quality. Bicycle stuff is a far cry from automotive,
it just does not last.
A typical SUV costs dozens of times what a typical bicycle costs. ...

My bike retailed for $2k and can carry just me, my SUV for $17k and can
carry half a ton. A name brand SUV tire costs me around $70 and lasts
north of 50,000 miles (only because of age, else over 100,000 miles). A
name brand MTB tire costs me $50 and last around 500 miles. Brake pads
for my SUV are $17 per wheel and last well over 100,000 miles. For the
MTB they cost $16 per wheel and last 500 miles.

Any questions?

Well, one question might be "Do you understand how production volume
influences product cost?" But I think we know the answer.

The answer is simple. You design a tire that has the quality of a dirt
bike tire, provide iron-clad test data to the public and then charge a
premium price for it. I've been around long enough and done many, many
such product design. For example, an intravascular ultrasound scanner I
designed the front-end circuitry for sells in the low hundreds per year.
Yet the company makes plenty of profit with it.

How do you think Porsche or Ferrari make their money? Mass market?

A second question might be "When will _your_ company start meeting this huge
untapped demand?"

The day has only 24h and I wish to reserve some free time for mountain
biking. I am currently part of a start-up which develops a "so
far-deemed-impossible" product for the medical profession. That and my
usual consulting consumes all my time. So there's your answer.

Old December 15th 14, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

James wrote:
On 15/12/14 03:06, Joerg wrote:

My bike retailed for $2k and can carry just me, my SUV for $17k and can
carry half a ton. A name brand SUV tire costs me around $70 and lasts
north of 50,000 miles (only because of age, else over 100,000 miles). A
name brand MTB tire costs me $50 and last around 500 miles. Brake pads
for my SUV are $17 per wheel and last well over 100,000 miles. For the
MTB they cost $16 per wheel and last 500 miles.

Any questions?

Will your SUV carry half a ton over the same tracks as you ride your
bicycle, and if it will at all, for how many miles before it breaks or
wears out?

It has done so, many times. Firewood, equipment, and so on. This
included rides where the suspension repeatedly bottomed out, something I
never make my MTB do. In fact, the SUV bounced and shakes a lot more
than my MTB when barreling down the same dirt road at the same speed.
The suspension on modern MTB is clearly superior to that on my MTB. The
problem is that the stuff on MTBs is not nearly as reliable and durable.
Even though I afford the MTB a lot of TLC while the SUV gets almost
nothing other than oil changes and stuff.

Old December 15th 14, 05:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 15 Dec 2014 12:18:09 +1100, James
wrote:

On 15/12/14 03:06, Joerg wrote:
My bike retailed for $2k and can carry just me, my SUV for $17k and can
carry half a ton. A name brand SUV tire costs me around $70 and lasts
north of 50,000 miles (only because of age, else over 100,000 miles). A
name brand MTB tire costs me $50 and last around 500 miles. Brake pads
for my SUV are $17 per wheel and last well over 100,000 miles. For the
MTB they cost $16 per wheel and last 500 miles.

Any questions?

Will your SUV carry half a ton over the same tracks as you ride your
bicycle, and if it will at all, for how many miles before it breaks or
wears out?

I'd have to question the life of his brake pads to, at least the pads
on my pickup don't last 100,000 miles.

It's at 77,000 miles now and the pads still have half on them.

Most amazing were the previous tires, Yokohama Geolandar. At around
60,000 miles they still had half the tread depth and I only replaced
them because they were over 12 years old. The $50 Hutchinson Cobra on
the rear of my MTB was gone at 500 miles. Same for the rear brake pads.

Old December 15th 14, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Sunday, December 14, 2014 10:53:37 AM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:
Lou Holtman wrote:

It is a matter of supply and demand. There is no demand for tires that
weigh 2 kg or more. When do you get that.

I am not the only person who uses a mountain bike for real XC rides
instead of leisurely weekend circuit rides. Other people I know have the
same gripes as I do. There is a market, just as there is for sturdier
bike lighting. It's just that while the auto industry is smart enough to
recognize such things the bicycle industry obviously is not.

You may not be the only person who needs tires far more flat-proof than
any on the market, and headset systems far stronger than any on the market,
and headlights with far more lumens than any on the market. But I think there
can't be many such people.

Nope. I talk to many mountain bikers because when someone has a snack
break out here others tend to join in.

The rider I rode with yesterday used his HT because his FS has two
flats. Again. On the HT he's got a slow flat at the rear and so does
mine (with a brand new tube!). People just live with that stuff because
they have to.

If there really were a significant chance of making money by selling the
equipment you demand, someone would be selling it. The bicycle industry
is very mature. As long ago as the 1800s, people were using bikes to
traverse wilderness. (See Thomas Stephens, for example.) I think
manufacturers know what will sell.

I seriously doubt that.

But if you really believe that stupidity is the only reason people aren't
making money by supplying proper gear, you should recognize the fantastic
opportunity they've left open to you. Invest your life savings, start
your own company, and get rich by satisfying all the cyclists like yourself.
That's how the free market works!

I already do that but in another business area (medical decvices). There
are only 24 hours in a day and savings are finite.

Think about it: How many decades did it take until someone finally
realized that an alternative to the lousy beer Americans had to live
with would be a serious money maker? Now we have tons of very successful
micro breweries.

How many decades did it take until the bicycle industry learned what
automotive guys knew all along, that disc brakes are needed? With the
drum brake it was no different.

I could go on and on, just had a major come-uppance regarding rear
lighting. Couldn't believe it. Sent it right back, it's IMHO junk, at
least the way they produce this stuff. The next step will likely be a
modded motorcycle light because those are better.

Old December 15th 14, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 12/13/2014 2:58 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

And if someone knows about a 29er tire that has the thickness and
quality of a motorcycle tire that would also be great. I get side-wall
slashes and the usual single-ply is really sub par out here. Most of
this bicycle stuff is too flimsy.

No market for that. You can't even buy solid tubes for wide 29" tires.

Your solution is he
http://www.instructables.com/id/No-more-flat-tires/. Might not ride
too well, but no more flats for sure.

Old December 15th 14, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

sms wrote:
On 12/13/2014 2:58 PM, Joerg wrote:

snip

And if someone knows about a 29er tire that has the thickness and
quality of a motorcycle tire that would also be great. I get side-wall
slashes and the usual single-ply is really sub par out here. Most of
this bicycle stuff is too flimsy.

No market for that. You can't even buy solid tubes for wide 29" tires.

Obviously there is a market for 26" mountain bikes and I bought this
kind of tube for my old MTB:

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...-mountain-tube

So why should there be no market for 29"?

The price wasn't too bad, around $13 at a LBS.

Your solution is he
http://www.instructables.com/id/No-more-flat-tires/. Might not ride
too well, but no more flats for sure.

Smugglers are said to use silicone in the tires to prevent flats when
shot at or from spike strips. I have no idea how that rides, or for how
long. Otherwise that may be a method. But environmentally it's a
disaster because you'd have to literally cut up the whole chebang after
500 miles and throw it all out. Because MTB tires hardly last any longer
on the rear wheel.

Old December 15th 14, 07:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

nnnnnnnnnn what is the rings function and how is the ring placed relative to the tube/hole/patch...

I'll ask them...prob not a use able size....prob snot on you below silver.

29er tubes in fat 700x40 touring tires Maceo Techniques 9 September 29th 09 06:23 AM
29er tubes without presta Daytripper63 Unicycling 1 January 19th 07 06:27 AM
29er tubes without presta markf Unicycling 0 January 19th 07 06:04 AM
bikes in tubes Ian Smith UK 12 February 14th 05 04:00 PM
Questions about old bikes (was Double Top Tubes?) papercut Techniques 31 January 26th 04 04:49 AM