Andre Jute explains how to mix ahead and quill steerer systems onbicycles without taking a faceplant

Old November 18th 14, 03:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Andre Jute explains how to mix ahead and quill steerer systems onbicycles without taking a faceplant

where's the wire ?

trek/cyclocrosser here boosts an adjustable stem

http://www.universalcycles.com/searc...BLE+STEM&qt=fw

with deadly trekking bar. DTB

Old November 18th 14, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 18/11/2014 02:48, Andre Jute wrote:

Just to ruin your day terminally, here's what I did, and what all the real cyclists I know cheered about, when I decided to bling up my bike a bit in celebration at coming home from hospital:
http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutewatches.html#Pistoia

Very pretty. Who makes them?

Old November 18th 14, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:41:22 AM UTC, wrote:
On Monday, November 17, 2014 9:34:12 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/17/2014 9:31 PM, wrote:
great flying squirrels what is the phallic thingee, an o2 tank ? or a fuel cell ?

Probably a codpiece.

--
- Frank Krygowski

NNNNNNNNNNNN

authentic cod comes in a woodenbox..

Northern California, the state west of Las vegas, is asshole deep with this

not to hijack AJ's post..

http://goo.gl/Xb5u0d

amazing you know you're standing around somewhere or waiting at the light and ach due leber, like gnats...

belwo and above, H-D and assorted H-D Asians.

as in your anecdote...where's the wire ?

If I rode a GS, I'd get Rimowa to knock me up some panniers and a bootbag from one their pilot cases. This one looks like it'll follow you around Hermes:
http://www.rimowa.com/en-us/pilot/920.51.00.4
If Rimowa hasn't already -- it's such an obvious idea. I inherited some of their luggage, and it is excellent.

Andre Jute
Old November 18th 14, 03:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:09:40 AM UTC, wrote:

http://www.universalcycles.com/searc...BLE+STEM&qt=fw

Those are a bit pricey, but yeah, they're the sort of thing I have in mind. The usual stick in the mud luddites whill throw a fit at an adjustable stem, though.

Andre Jute
Old November 18th 14, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, November 17, 2014 9:41:12 PM UTC-5, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 2:19:06 AM UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 18/11/2014 01:05, Andre Jute wrote:
Theres a photograph of such an installation (with added wrinkles) on my Utopia Kranich at
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/...26347#msg26347
-- the lockring, siting at the top of the steerer tube, is the doublebolted item with the two silver flashes, and the silver ring above it is all you can see of the quill, with above it the single bolt of the n'lock stem. The hex bolt centred on top of the stem is the expanding thread of the quill. Notice how far down from this assembly is the Cane Creek headset top bearing; I've gained nearly two inches in handlebar height. In this particular assembly, using a ridged seatpost clamp, this space on the steerer tube cannot be left bare; it must absolutely be filled with quality spacers (not fragile carbon rubbish!).

Or you could use something such as this :

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Delta-TD3318.../dp/B000FGYKWS

Mount that like you would a normal stem, then bolt the stem to the bit
sticking out of the top without any need for spacers on the top part.

Sure, if all you want is a very limited extension of the steerer tube. The point about a quill is that it gives you adjustment almost forever.

Andre Jute

3.75 inches + a solid join is a pretty good height rise and would be hard to get even with a quill stem unless it was a long gooseneck type which then has the nasty habit of flexing a lot. Don't ask how I know that. LOL VBG

Cheers
Old November 18th 14, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 18/11/2014 03:25, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:09:40 AM UTC, wrote:

http://www.universalcycles.com/searc...BLE+STEM&qt=fw

Those are a bit pricey, but yeah, they're the sort of thing I have in mind. The usual stick in the mud luddites whill throw a fit at an adjustable stem, though.

I reckon Joerg should try one.

Old November 18th 14, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:12:22 AM UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 18/11/2014 02:48, Andre Jute wrote:

Just to ruin your day terminally, here's what I did, and what all the real cyclists I know cheered about, when I decided to bling up my bike a bit in celebration at coming home from hospital:
http://coolmainpress.com/andrejutewatches.html#Pistoia

Very pretty. Who makes them?

Got them from a German jeweler.
Old November 18th 14, 03:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:29:29 AM UTC, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

The actual rise on those things is never 3.75 inches. I had a couple, and the rise is about 40mm. You need to take account of the length that slips over the steerer.

I can't say I know anything about slack quills. I would never install a quill with so much length exposed that the possibility of flexing arises. Anyway, on a 1.125in Ahead system, the quill is fundamentally stiffer than on the old threaded systems.

Andre Jute
Old November 18th 14, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:29:36 AM UTC, Clive George wrote:
On 18/11/2014 03:25, Andre Jute wrote:
On Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:09:40 AM UTC, wrote:

http://www.universalcycles.com/searc...BLE+STEM&qt=fw

Those are a bit pricey, but yeah, they're the sort of thing I have in mind. The usual stick in the mud luddites will throw a fit at an adjustable stem, though.

I reckon Joerg should try one.

Yes, I created this thread for Joerg, just in case he hasn't thought of this possibility yet.

Andre Jute
Old November 18th 14, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Clive George

On 18/11/2014 03:44, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

You gain about 80mm.

Jute Andre returns, bigger, better, stronger. You only think youshafted Andre. Options Jute Andre Racing 0 September 25th 11 03:36 AM
The Andre Jute FAQ v1.1 - May 31 Antitroll Techniques 3 May 31st 09 01:31 AM
Andre Jute FAQ Antitroll Techniques 42 May 24th 09 02:29 PM
Andre Jute FAQ v1.1 Antitroll Techniques 0 May 17th 09 07:40 AM
Andre Jute FAQ v1.1 Antitroll Techniques 0 May 17th 09 07:38 AM