Racks?

Old November 9th 03, 09:37 AM
gravelmuncher

Default Racks?

Went looking around Orange today for some roof racks (mainly to keep the
Trek out of the boot) but couldn't find any to fit the Magna. All the
while I was thinking I should have asked some riders what they use to
drive their bikes around - roof racks or towbar jobs? and which brand?

~j~

Old November 9th 03, 10:16 AM
Andrew Morris

Take your browser to www.thule.com or www.rhinorack.com.au ... in days gone
by, I would also have suggested www.rola.com.au, but the guys who started
Rola now run Rhino Rack, and their racks are by far superior to Rola, as
they have improved on all the deficiencies in the Rola product....

Old November 10th 03, 01:19 AM
mikeg

Also there are other types the mount to the body of the car which clamp
onto the boot or hatch.

also try auto store, as well as the local bike shops and and the likes
of K-Mart.

There are many varieties of rear carriers with different bike clamping
methods. some the bike just sits on two bars, and you strap the bike on,
or some have clamps. and capacities of from two, three or four bikes.

mike

Old November 10th 03, 01:19 AM
mikeg

gravelmuncher wrote:
Went looking around Orange today for some roof racks (mainly to keep the
Trek out of the boot) but couldn't find any to fit the Magna. All the
while I was thinking I should have asked some riders what they use to
drive their bikes around - roof racks or towbar jobs? and which brand?
~j~

try the following websites to help look for the right model ( and price)
for your model magna

http://www.roofrackcity.com.au/

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/

http://www.rola.com.au/

currently repco have 15% off Rola Roof Racks and accessories see
http://www.repcoshop.com.au/ASP/Cata...ge10.asp#Start

I have Rola Racks on VT Commodore Wagon, with a Rola fork mount with
extension (BCF2) and Thule 511 using a fit kit for Rola Rack. Even
though the Thule is lockable, where rola and rhino aren't, the thule
does not fix as firmly to the rack, and has some sideways flex at the
fork end with the bike mounted. better for lighter bikes.

Also have a fold down rear tow bar mount bbike rack, on loan from a
friend, which usually only put the two younger kids 20" bikes on, but
rather awkward with a wagon, especially when travelling. Will probably
look at a fold down rack type from Rhino which fit larger diameter frame
tubing depending on what bikes the younger kids get when they grow out
of the 20" bikes.

It is sometimes easier for shot trips to just put the two small bikes
one on top of the other in the back of the wagon instead of mucking
about with the rear rack, and two more on the roof.

Be aware, even though fit kits can fit one brand of mount to another
brand of rack, they may not as good a fit or firm fixing to the rack.
eg thule 511 on rola racks. more flex than the rola fork mount on
rola rack

Look at Rhino and Thule for roof mount models for whole bike mounting,
front wheel attached, but these will increase the vehicle height even
more. so watch out for low garages, carports, carparks and trees. Also
smother driving, and avoiding throwing the car around corners when bikes
are on the roof.

mike

Old November 10th 03, 04:35 AM
Glenn Ryan

"gravelmuncher" wrote in message
Went looking around Orange today for some roof racks (mainly to keep the
Trek out of the boot) but couldn't find any to fit the Magna. All the
while I was thinking I should have asked some riders what they use to
drive their bikes around - roof racks or towbar jobs? and which brand?

~j~

I'm currently using Rola racks on my TJ Magna, and have been for the past 6
months without any problems.

Glenn

Old November 13th 03, 12:31 AM
mikeg

gravelmuncher wrote:
Thanks a lot for your insights mikeg, i'll look into your suggestions
right away. You see, i'd heard mixed opinions regarding roof mounts
including one where such large amounts of wind could actually blow the
grease out of the headset - and when raining the wind can force water
into bearings(???) With these in mind I was considering a towbar
mount, but just last week on a trip to Woolongong, and old lady ran up
the arse of the car at a set of traffic lights, and imagining what my
pride and joy would look like had it been hovering there sends shivers
up my spine.
Thanks again....~j~

It hadn't occurred to be me about grease and water in bearings, but I
have travelled to Port Macquarie and Narooma (south of Batemans Bay)
from Sydney. For the longer distances, I remove the Seat & seatpost (and
seatpost clamp as it easily comes off without the seatpost, so I don't
lose it), from the bike. This reduces height and posible wind loading.

I generally drive a little slower (~5kph) than the speed limits, and try
to get my wife to do the same on the longer trips.

I have tried things like glad wrap, aluminium (cooking) foil or plastic
shopping bags to try to keep the grips and brake/gear leavers clean from
insects and bugs. The plastics tended to get shredded form the wind. you
could use something similar like a thicker plastic sheet folded around
the headset, with punched and laced around the top and down tubes if it
really is a concern to keep water/wind out of the headset bearings.

Something similar like a fairing could be done around the bottom bracket
and/or rear wheel cassette/hub if you desire.

mike

--
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race." - H G Wells.

life ain't much but there's nothing else to do

Old November 13th 03, 12:31 AM
dadkeepup

gravelmuncher wrote:
Went looking around Orange today for some roof racks (mainly to keep the
Trek out of the boot) but couldn't find any to fit the Magna. All the
while I was thinking I should have asked some riders what they use to
drive their bikes around - roof racks or towbar jobs? and which brand?
~j~

there are thousadns of racks around...I went for a macrac 3 bike
carrier from St Vinneys...yes I am cheap...but I have since invested
in an aXsarm after getting a pamphlet at a park in Sydney...bit
expensive but well worth the $ if you have a wagon or hatch
www.axsarm.com.au. Good luck

Old November 13th 03, 12:03 PM
MD

mikeg wrote:
[...]

I have driven multiple trips 1500km with bikes on roof in forkmounts, have
not had such issues. Even with extremely heavy rain most of the way from
Sydney to Adelaide.

The only problem is the amount of bugs that get everywhere, and hassle of
removing bikes when arriving at some motels with low overhanging arches on
drive ways (many of ones in Mildura)
There are BikeBras available online, a neoprene sling that protects bikes
from the elements. Not sure if avail in Aus

I have seen a rear ender with family bikes on the back - looked like on way
to holiday.
Bikes on the rear are also in closer reach to little hands .....

However all said about the elements, I am referring to MTB which may have
much better seals on headset or other bearings

Thanks again....~j~

rear hitch bike rack curt General 12 March 18th 04 09:55 PM
Council removing cycle racks *grumble* David Nutter UK 9 August 29th 03 09:58 AM