Choosing a Tail Light for Your Bicycle: Six No-CompromiseRequirements" article

Old September 14th 13, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Choosing a Tail Light for Your Bicycle: Six No-Compromise Requirements"article

On 9/13/2013 6:42 PM, datakoll wrote:
On Wednesday, September 11, 2013 9:51:23 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/11/2013 7:25 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:

On Tuesday, September 10, 2013 5:33:39 AM UTC-7, landotter wrote:

On Monday, August 26, 2013 2:31:48 PM UTC-5, sms wrote:

I've also been asked to do a tail light article. First draft is at

http://nordicgroup.us/tail/. Comments welcome.

They sell $10 LED tail lamps at Walmart that are better than the crap we used for 100 years. Just go ride your ****ing bike, Steve.

Better than my 1977 Belt Beacon? It was $11, but the battery cost $2.

http://www.bicycletimesmag.com/conte...ts-belt-beacon

-- Jay Beattie

You're awesome. I've been unable to locate an image of that

until now.

Also cannot find an image of the classic Wonder leg lamp or

the later Matex Life Light.

--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

IS THERE A TAIL LIGHT TO GO WITH OUR BEST LIGHT ?

https://picasaweb.google.com/1022344...PGe_9qChb-vSQ#

while your back in the stacks ferret out a coupla HD Chrome Shimano cable guides wudja ?

Yeah, sold literally thousands of those. I was looking for
an image of the small lamps with white front lens/ red rear
lens which strap to one's arm or leg.

Old September 14th 13, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, September 13, 2013 9:47:51 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
I was looking for an image of the small lamps with white front lens/ red rear lens which strap to one's arm or leg.
--

Andrew Muzi

www.yellowjersey.org/

Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Like this one?

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...MiWOe1BVTw.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Safety-Lamp-Light-with-Arm-or-Leg-Band-Strap-for-Cycling-Running-Walking-the-Dog-/00/s/MTYwMFg4MzM=/$(KGrHqFHJCsE+,+L!vmuBQW4JSzGrQ~~60_35.JPG

Cheers
Old September 14th 13, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/13/2013 9:28 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, September 13, 2013 9:47:51 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
I was looking for an image of the small lamps with white front lens/ red rear lens which strap to one's arm or leg.

Like this one?

http://thumbs3.ebaystatic.com/d/l225...MiWOe1BVTw.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Safety-Lamp-Light-with-Arm-or-Leg-Band-Strap-for-Cycling-Running-Walking-the-Dog-/00/s/MTYwMFg4MzM=/$(KGrHqFHJCsE+,+L!vmuBQW4JSzGrQ~~60_35.JPG

Yes, exactly. Thank you.[1]

Amidst all the kvetching here about lights, we sometimes
forget how pathetic 'the good old days' really were. I just
hated those crappy French things but it's what we had then.
Unreliable, klutzy, inadequate and yet the best non-dynamo
thing you could buy. The Matex design was much better, while
far short of good.

[1] Maybe I should have used 'pathetic' or 'dismal' in my
search terms?

Old September 14th 13, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:53:28 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

Amidst all the kvetching here about lights, we sometimes
forget how pathetic 'the good old days' really were.

I own an antique (1800s) kerosene bicycle headlight. It's pretty, in its way, sort of a steampunk aesthetic. It mounts to a nifty parallelogram suspension bracket. It's a lot like this one: http://tinyurl.com/mlbe695

Anyway, one dark winter night I cleaned and polished it, trimmed the wick, filled it with kerosene and set off down a very dark little lane. I was astonished how little light it gave off. Yet cyclists once used these successfully.

The explanation may be that there was so little artificial lighting in those days, that people were more used to (and more capable of) seeing in near-darkness. In his excellent book _At Home_, Bill Bryson explains this in detail. A large dining hall with a candle every ten feet around the walls was once considered brightly lit.

(Not that it's any excuse for those strap-on ankle lights.)

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 14th 13, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

AMuzi writes:

[...]

When I was about 11 years-old, I had a paper route and won a prize
of my choice (depending on how many subscriptions I sold). I had
my eye on that T-head leg-strap "bike" light, and got it.

Expecting the night to be mine, I strapped it on. Still couldn't
see diddly squat. Same was true with the bottle generator powered
chrome headlight I got later.

It wasn't until I got first the Nashbar 1-watt "Beacon" and then
the Planet Bike 1-watt "Blaze" that I actually had (supplemental)
light to see by. Upgrading to the 2-watt Blaze and *zounds* - I
am tickled pink. (I had the impression that PB was making a 3-watt
Blaze, too.)

These remarkably effective - and I think relativley unoffensive -
latter bike lights are, of course, all nothing more than "little
AA-powered handlebar lights" with ~symmetrical beam.
Old September 14th 13, 07:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan

Dan writes:

AMuzi writes:

[...]

(relatively inoffensive)

Old September 15th 13, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 9/13/2013 8:47 PM, AMuzi wrote:
Yeah, sold literally thousands of those. I was looking for an image of
the small lamps with white front lens/ red rear lens which strap to
one's arm or leg.

I had one of those 30+ years ago. Shaped like a "T" in profile.

--
T0m $herm@n
Old September 15th 13, 03:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
T0m $herman

On 9/14/2013 12:29 PM, Dan wrote:
It wasn't until I got first the Nashbar 1-watt "Beacon" and then
the Planet Bike 1-watt "Blaze" that I actually had (supplemental)
light to see by. Upgrading to the 2-watt Blaze and*zounds* - I
am tickled pink. (I had the impression that PB was making a 3-watt
Blaze, too.)

These remarkably effective - and I think relativley unoffensive -
latter bike lights are, of course, all nothing more than "little
AA-powered handlebar lights" with ~symmetrical beam.

I would consider the 1W PB Blaze light to be the bare-minimum I would
use for riding around town or down a wooded MUP at night (BTDT).

--
T0m $herm@n
Old September 15th 13, 05:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"datakoll" wrote in message
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...be.ozdeRcK4o0g

URA bottom.

Old September 21st 13, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Saturday, September 14, 2013 10:29:59 AM UTC-7, Dan wrote:
AMuzi writes:

[...]

I never thought of the leg light as something to light the road, although they did have an amber or white front lens (and a red rear lens). I wore mine as a a safety light. I hope you didn't work too hard for your leg light. Back in the day, they cost about two bucks (minus batteries).

For our powerful headlights, we used flashlights and those flashlight clips -- cylindrical rat traps that snapped closed around the light. Paperboy standard issue. Some had bottle generators. I guess we could just see better back then.

-- Jay Beattie.