When was the last time that RBT actually had a technical discussion?

Old September 12th 13, 07:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default When was the last time that RBT actually had a technical discussion?

In the thread
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ch/PstJbumscOc
Krygowski, Sherman, Lee, Daniels and the usual zero-tech trash are choosing up sides according to who they like and don't like without any regard for whether what people say is technically correct. Basically, if you aren't an AHZ (anti-helmet zealot) or if you've ever contradicted Franki-boy Krygowski, you're wrong even when you're right as rain.

But that thread is just the most gross recent example of their habitual politicization of RBT, once a valuable technical conference, now a toilet for these clowns. They do it all the time, and have for years now. That scum is the reason that I report new and wonderful components that I try out, and DIY experiment, and general bicycle-related studies, and even humor, elsewhere, and on RBT second if at all.

The negative vibes on RBT are so tiresome, I'm not surprised that Jobst decided not to return after his accident.

***

I know. People, including me, start technical discussions all the time; it's the triumph of hope over experience. But show me one tech thread, just one, that didn't descend into backbiting, and always by the same little gang of wreckers (Krygowski, Lee, Sherman, Daniels) deciding for political reasons to attack their "enemies".

Andre Jute
Old September 16th 13, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:36:47 AM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
...show me one tech thread, just one, that didn't descend into backbiting, and always by the same little gang of wreckers (Krygowski, Lee, Sherman, Daniels) deciding for political reasons to attack their "enemies".

I guess it's not going to happen.

Andre Jute
Disappointed
Old September 16th 13, 07:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

ahhhh bill bascum was greaaaat reading...McManus

this Jute's from the SMELL YOUR OWN ASSHOLE writing tradition
Old September 16th 13, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

WHAT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME ?

Old September 16th 13, 09:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 9/16/2013 1:59 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, September 12, 2013 7:36:47 AM UTC+1, Andre Jute wrote:
...show me one tech thread, just one, that didn't descend into backbiting, and always by the same little gang of wreckers (Krygowski, Lee, Sherman, Daniels) deciding for political reasons to attack their "enemies".

I guess it's not going to happen.

Had a pretty decent thread about wheels when I was thinking of buying
mine. As I recall there were one or two attempts to hijack but it was
resisted. Last year some time. Mostly James and DR involved and I got
some good input.

Old September 16th 13, 10:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, September 16, 2013 4:23:55 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:

Had a pretty decent thread about wheels when I was thinking of buying
mine. As I recall there were one or two attempts to hijack but it was
resisted. Last year some time. Mostly James and DR involved and I got
some good input.

I'm not sure that "What wheel should I buy?" is necessarily a technical discussion. Ditto "which frame?" or "which tire?" or "which headlight?" UNLESS someone presents something beyond mere anecdote or opinion.

To me, Jute's "I beat the racers downhill coasting on my Big Apples" or Scharf's "You need a Chinese flashlight to be safe" or even "Carbon frames ride smooth" don't qualify as tech.

OTOH, Joe Riel's analysis of headlight glare certainly counts as tech, as do discussions on the characteristics of an ideal headlight beam, and we have had those very recently. Actual data on rolling resistance counts, as well as discussions of appropriate CRR tests.

To be clear, I think it's fine to ask for advice. And given the state of Usenet rec.bike, I think it's OK to have non-tech bike matters discussed here. But IMO, "tech" implies "quantifiable at least in principle." If the quantifying happens here, so much the better.

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 16th 13, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, September 16, 2013 10:12:14 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm not sure that "What wheel should I buy?" is necessarily a technical discussion. Ditto "which frame?" or "which tire?" or "which headlight?" UNLESS someone presents something beyond mere anecdote or opinion.

Who elected you to decide what we can discurss, Franki-boy?

Unsigned out of contempt
Old September 16th 13, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 17/09/13 07:12, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2013 4:23:55 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:

Had a pretty decent thread about wheels when I was thinking of
buying mine. As I recall there were one or two attempts to hijack
but it was resisted. Last year some time. Mostly James and DR
involved and I got some good input.

I'm not sure that "What wheel should I buy?" is necessarily a
technical discussion. Ditto "which frame?" or "which tire?" or
"which headlight?" UNLESS someone presents something beyond mere
anecdote or opinion.

IIRC, the discussion was about the possible merits of a slightly wider
rim for use with a 23mm wide tyre. It was a little more than opinion.

--
JS
Old September 16th 13, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Monday, September 16, 2013 2:12:14 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

tech·ni·cal
adjective \ˈtek-ni-kəl\

: relating to the practical use of machines or science in industry, medicine, etc.

: teaching practical skills rather than ideas about literature, art, etc.

: having special knowledge especially of how machines work or of how a particular kind of work is done

Absolutely nothing whatsoever about "quantifiable". (But you're
certainly entitled to your "mere" opinion.)

Old September 17th 13, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

James wrote:
On 17/09/13 07:12, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2013 4:23:55 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:

Had a pretty decent thread about wheels when I was thinking of
buying mine. As I recall there were one or two attempts to hijack
but it was resisted. Last year some time. Mostly James and DR
involved and I got some good input.

I'm not sure that "What wheel should I buy?" is necessarily a
technical discussion. Ditto "which frame?" or "which tire?" or
"which headlight?" UNLESS someone presents something beyond mere
anecdote or opinion.

IIRC, the discussion was about the possible merits of a slightly wider
rim for use with a 23mm wide tyre. It was a little more than opinion.

Frank can't help himself can he?

Actually DR sent me some software that he put together to do some various
calculations on wheel dimensions and parameters. Very interesting. And
the wheels are still rolling well.

--
duane