When was the last time that RBT actually had a technical discussion?

Old September 17th 13, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default When was the last time that RBT actually had a technical discussion?

bumfugger digwit...I post tech. No response. Yawl blabbering to a monkey and drunken Irishman or finessing legal affairs.

dung.

Now ura gonna blabber abt not blabbering abt tech.

no tech. only fatmouth.

this is because ipso facto, yawl doahn do tech ceptin mount fancy lights.\
\
on that we need photos of the boards n mounted hardware. I have asked, again , no response.

today I finished painting the left rear wheel well before just before an Ingrid squAll came thru.

One yesterday just before primer. Sounded lika tornado but we escaped.

I stop in for lunch finding, on weekends, blabbering. WHO'S RIDING ?

I post asking for refs on interesting sites what happens ?

CONTROL FREAKS.

yach

Old September 17th 13, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, September 16, 2013 6:40:02 PM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2013 10:12:14 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm not sure that "What wheel should I buy?" is necessarily a technical discussion. Ditto "which frame?" or "which tire?" or "which headlight?" UNLESS someone presents something beyond mere anecdote or opinion.

Who elected you to decide what we can discurss, Franki-boy?

Unsigned out of contempt

I made no attempt to regulate what anyone might "discurss" [sic]. I'm stating my opinion on what counts as "tech." Others' opinions may differ.

In any case, others may "discurss" whatever they like, including mythical prowess at downhill coasting, the superiority of sit-up-and-beg bikes, the desperate necessity for head protection while puttering down Irish lanes, or whatever.

Of course, in the case of Jute (as with the Monkey) I'll waste very little time reading what's been written.

- Frank Krygowski

Old September 17th 13, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, September 16, 2013 6:54:10 PM UTC-4, James wrote:
On 17/09/13 07:12, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I'm not sure that "What wheel should I buy?" is necessarily a
technical discussion. Ditto "which frame?" or "which tire?" or
"which headlight?" UNLESS someone presents something beyond mere
anecdote or opinion.

IIRC, the discussion was about the possible merits of a slightly wider
rim for use with a 23mm wide tyre. It was a little more than opinion.

Yes, but IIRC there was rather little in the way of data, references, measurements etc.

Again, nobody is trying to forbid any discussion. People can talk about what they choose. But it takes more than strongly held opinions about equipment to count as "tech", in my opinion.

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 17th 13, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Monday, September 16, 2013 7:30:31 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:

Actually DR sent me some software that he put together to do some various
calculations on wheel dimensions and parameters. Very interesting. And
the wheels are still rolling well.

The software could be interesting to discuss.

I've built most of the wheels on our dozen or so bikes. All are still rolling well, some for decades. My use of software was limited to spoke length calculators. (Jobst's book _The Bicycle Wheel_ works very well, in my experience.)

- Frank Krygowski
Old September 17th 13, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 17/09/13 13:07, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Monday, September 16, 2013 7:30:31 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:

Actually DR sent me some software that he put together to do some
various calculations on wheel dimensions and parameters. Very
interesting. And the wheels are still rolling well.

The software could be interesting to discuss.

I've built most of the wheels on our dozen or so bikes. All are still
rolling well, some for decades. My use of software was limited to
spoke length calculators. (Jobst's book _The Bicycle Wheel_ works
very well, in my experience.)

DR sent me some software as well. I'm guessing it was the same as he
sent Duane. It was, IIRC, to calculate tyre width changes for different
rim widths or something. Like if you mount a 23mm tyre on a 19mm rim
and it indeed measures 23mm across, then put the same tyre on a 21mm
wide rim, what will the width of the tyre be? More like 25mm? I think
the idea behind the slightly wider rims was that you could get a bit
nicer ride from a narrow tyre if it was mounted on a slightly wider rim,
because it behaved more like a wider tyre for carrying load, but doesn't
squirm about going through corners as much as a wide tyre on a narrow rim.

Again, that is what I recall. I could be wrong. It was some time ago,
and I don't keep all the NG history in my head for ever, nor can I be
bothered looking back at the archives.

--
JS
Old September 17th 13, 06:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Kreepy Krygo wrote:
But IMO, "tech" implies "quantifiable at least in principle." If the quantifying happens here, so much the better.

Dan replied with a definition of "technical"
tech·ni·cal

adjective \ˈtek-ni-kəl\

: relating to the practical use of machines or science in industry, medicine, etc.

: teaching practical skills rather than ideas about literature, art, etc.

: having special knowledge especially of how machines work or of how a particular kind of work is done

Absolutely nothing whatsoever about "quantifiable". (But you're

certainly entitled to your "mere" opinion.)

Couldn't agree more. Tech is what you can and will contribute, and not for clowns like Krygowski to limit. Nobody elected Krygowski or Daniels to decide who can be a member of RBT and what they can discuss.

Amusingly, though I think of science and tech as much more than merely quantifiable matters, I'm currently conducting two tests with definitely quantifiable results. They are both part of my zero-mainenance bike project. In one I'm testing whether Phil's Tenacious will last 3000m/5000km in a Rohloff clickbox supposed to be greased every 300m/500km. In the other I'm testing the longevity of a chain running on the factory lube only, zero added lube. Both experiments are currently at about 2300km. But I'm fed up with the sneering, jeering scum on RBT (examples from Krygowski and Danels in this very thread), so I'm reporting these interesting experiments elsewhere, and being applauded for them, and other experiments I reported there, rather than being constantly heckled by trailer park trash on RBT.

Andre Jute
Old September 17th 13, 11:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

James wrote:
[...]

That was about it more or less. But the point was that the thread wasn't
hijacked by the resident idiot as usual. Not to justify the degree of tech
that was discussed to said idiot.

--
duane
Old September 17th 13, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, September 17, 2013 6:13:41 AM UTC+1, James wrote:
...nor can I be

bothered looking back at the archives.

Worth pointing out that there once was a worthwhile archive of tech discussions on RBT, and that substantial tech discussions happened so frequently that someone actually kept the archive up to date and indexed on a monthly basis. This is just a sample, part one of five: http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part1/#b

Andre Jute
Old September 18th 13, 11:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Funny thing is, three to five years after RBT's trailer park trash of sneerers and jeerers (Daniels, Maxie whatsisface, Sherman, Howard, Lee, Krygowski) abuse me for some component choice, they always buy the same thing they abused me for. This time round, as can be seen in the thread Tire Recommendations at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...B1-25-false%5D Sherman, Daniels and Howard have all quietly gone out and bought Big Apples. They kept quiet about it, probably from the vestiges of shame that even such trash must feel. Of course, they misused the Big Apples, because between the lot of them they have zero understanding of the engineering principles behind the Big Apples. Specifically, they overinflated these low pressure balloons to twice the recommended pressure, thereby turning them into nothing more than ostentatious expenditure. Of course they didn't read the literature! They think they know everything, so why read the literature? Or maybe these clowns think Big Apples are boutique wear, to show the peloton how much richer they are.

That's not all. I hear that the RBT scum turn up among the lurkers where, in the absence of a decent working atmosphere at RBT while this scum remains, I report some of my operational, equipment and component experiments.

I confidently foreacast that:

1. In at most a year, we'll see the Hebie Chainglider which I've been recommending appearing on the bikes of the RBT scum. Who wants to bet that they will be publicly grateful to me for being the pathfinder?

2. In at most two years, we'll see the Swiss n'lock which I've been recommending appearing on the bikes of the RBT scum. Who wants to bet that they will be publicly grateful to me for being the pathfinder?

3. In at most three years, we'll see the zero-added-lube chain operation I've been testing with great success so far appearing on the bikes of the RBT scum. Who wants to bet that they will be publicly grateful to me for being the pathfinder?

4. Didn't I read somewhere that some of them now use the KMC X-series chains I've been recommending ever since I tested the first batch? Who wants to bet that they will be publicly grateful to me for being the pathfinder?

It takes very little to be publicly and privately grateful when people help you out with knowledgeable recommendations; these things always cost a lot of money (in the case of the Chainglider above, I have more than a thousand dollars in failed chaincases -- knowledge is never cheap!). Scharfie's lamps netsite, for instance, was a goldmine of good information when I wanted to build my own lamps because the halogen BUMM lights then available were bummers. Lou and Chalo put me straight about the Big Apples and the Utopia bicycle company (which I'd previously twice dismissed as far too expensive and specialized and, it should be said, too elitist for a Calvinist like me), Trevor recommended vintage pedals that I was deliriously happy with but which without his advice I would have dismissed as someone else's pricey obsession.

Etc.

Andre Jute
Old September 18th 13, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/18/2013 5:09 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I am not worthy of inclusion in your list?

Max (a.k.a. landotter) made the cut and he's hardly been
here the past two years. Unfair !

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/