VDB suicide attempt

Old June 9th 07, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simon Brooke

Default VDB suicide attempt

in message , Steven L. Sheffield
') wrote:

On 6/9/07 9:41 AM, in article ,
"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:05:27 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

in message , John Forrest
Tomlinson ') wrote:

Mental illness is not joke.

That said, I don't have much sympathy for this guy -- he put himself
in a situation where the illness could take hold.

Can you suggest for us a situation in which depression is unlikely to
take hold?

When you don't dump a long-time girlfriend and then **** off your
wife, and jump from team to team along the way, doing drugs.

That kind of situation.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm with Kunich and the others on
this one.

Speaking from personal experience, depression is a disease ... And while
it's not an excuse for bad behavior, it is often the cause of it.

VDB most likely isn't depressed as a result of dumping his long-time
girlfriend, jumping from team to team, and doing drugs ... He most likely
did all those things BECAUSE he was suffering from depression.

Uh-huh. If you're lucky enough not to have been there, don't be too quick
to judge those who have.

/-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
|-| can report this issue to our security team. Would you like to
| | * Be completely ignored (default)?
| | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
\_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem on your own phone bill?
Old June 9th 07, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
John Forrest Tomlinson

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 10:01:29 -0600, "Steven L. Sheffield"
wrote:

On 6/9/07 9:41 AM, in article ,
"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote:

On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 15:05:27 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

in message , John Forrest
Tomlinson ') wrote:

[...]

It is a disease. And he should have maybe gotten treatment a long
time ago for it. It's like having heart trouble which prevents
exercise but you keep eating so you get fat and have more heart
trouble. You've got to deal with it when you can and make some
choices.

--
JT
****************************
Old June 10th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Jun 9, 2:53 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:
On Sat, 09 Jun 2007 10:01:29 -0600, "Steven L. Sheffield"

VDB most likely isn't depressed as a result of dumping his long-time
girlfriend, jumping from team to team, and doing drugs ... He most likely
did all those things BECAUSE he was suffering from depression.

It is a disease. And he should have maybe gotten treatment a long
time ago for it. It's like having heart trouble which prevents
exercise but you keep eating so you get fat and have more heart
trouble. You've got to deal with it when you can and make some
choices.

Right. Simple enough.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNfGyIW7aHM

Old June 10th 07, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

On Jun 8, 2:55 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 7, 1:24 pm, Annelies wrote:
according to la gazzetta he attempted suicide yesterday....aiaiaiai

Ugh. Bad news. Hope he can exorcise his demons.

You mean by signing on here and seeing what little identity he had remaining
being butchered by people here who couldn't hold his wheel when he was
riding as slow as he could?

http://www.lesoir.be/sports/cyclisme...9-533581.shtml

Old June 10th 07, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"John Forrest Tomlinson" wrote in message

It is a disease. And he should have maybe gotten treatment a long
time ago for it.

John, one of the major symptoms of depression is that you don't want to
share it with anyone else. Especially some nut doctor who may tell you
you're crazy.

Old June 10th 07, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

ps.com...
wrote in message

ups.com...

On Jun 7, 1:24 pm, Annelies wrote:
according to la gazzetta he attempted suicide yesterday....aiaiaiai

Ugh. Bad news. Hope he can exorcise his demons.

You mean by signing on here and seeing what little identity he had
remaining
being butchered by people here who couldn't hold his wheel when he was
riding as slow as he could?

http://www.lesoir.be/sports/cyclisme...9-533581.shtml

None of that's a surprise to me Andre, I had a brother like that. The drugs
finally took him.

The question is: why is it that he took drugs and I didn't? We were both
brought up in the same manner and he was only two years younger than me. We
did everything together etc when we were kids.

It's the mental problems that we cannot guess at. I'm not forgiving nor
forgetting VDB's actions, just saying that this isn't something he had
control over once he started down that path.

Old June 10th 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Andre

On Jun 10, 10:44 am, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Andre" wrote in message

ps.com...

On Jun 8, 2:55 pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:

roups.com...

http://www.lesoir.be/sports/cyclisme...-vandenbrou-20...

None of that's a surprise to me Andre, I had a brother like that. The drugs
finally took him.

The question is: why is it that he took drugs and I didn't? We were both
brought up in the same manner and he was only two years younger than me. We
did everything together etc when we were kids.

It's the mental problems that we cannot guess at. I'm not forgiving nor
forgetting VDB's actions, just saying that this isn't something he had
control over once he started down that path.- Hide quoted text -

I am sorry for your loss Tom. I have a brother that I love a lot too
so I know it must have been painful for you to have lost him.

Sincerely Andre

First suicide mount! welp Unicycling 20 May 4th 06 04:32 AM
First suicide mount! dorfman Unicycling 0 April 29th 06 01:25 PM
suicide mount? dorfman Unicycling 6 January 7th 06 12:59 AM
suicide mount MUNIFREAK Unicycling 16 February 20th 05 02:55 AM
Suicide man? Roger UK 18 November 9th 03 12:00 PM