POUND AS KING

Old June 10th 07, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default POUND AS KING

On Jun 9, 4:19 pm, RonSonic wrote:
Of course finding myself in agreement with a Dick Pound quote has left me a bit
shaken.

"Wait for the other shoe", then you'll feel better. Or, at least,
normal.

Admitting, the sun peeking through the clouds *was* great. --D-y

Old June 10th 07, 06:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

On Jun 10, 9:37 am, Simon Brooke wrote:
in message . com,

') wrote:
"Demo's". Instantly understood.

By greengrocers. If you want a plural of 'demo', that's 'demos'. Yes, it
happens to have the same spelling as the completely different Greek
word 'demos', but so what. Apostrophe 'S' is a possessive. What is it that
you are saying that demo owns?

I'm not saying demo owns anything. I'm saying demo's is a contraction
made plural-- at least for one audience g who wants to stickle.
(That's two, two, two asterisks for one!)

For others, who just want to read and understand, the apostrophe plays
a wonderful role in differentiating between demos and demo's, two
entirely different real word meanings.

There are places where the apostrophe works well for this; others
(Apple's for Sale) where it doesn't.

(I noted, somewhat pointedly):

But, of course, everybody is entitled to their opinion. --D-y

(SB replied):
Education helps.

Indeed. I found my old Grammar 360 course very liberating.
"Hypercorrection" was one notable topic. Martha Kolln's text among
those referenced, some fine contributions from her.

Anyhow: One "usage rules" question is: descriptive or prescriptive?
Another usage question is: what context are we in here? Publishing, or
conversing?

IRT your "greengrocers" comment, above, my grammar teacher's retort to
such assertions was: "Don't pretend you didn't understand!" Because
you did, you know? Um, besides seeming a little short on basic regard
for your fellow travellers, Mr Brooke... (What worth hath a man?
Another area of investigation.)

How many centuries *did* it take to get a gender-neutral third-person
possessive into the language, anyhow? Phew, glad to see that "their"
usage (nyuck nyuck! I liked that one!) taking a rightful, functional
place; it was a hell of a struggle! So many ready volunteers swarming
at the ramparts, don't you know!

Again, same thing for the poor apostrophe-- if the basic argument for
standardization of usage is clarity, clarity trumps standardization.
All IMHO, of course. --D-y

Old June 10th 07, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
. com,
" wrote:

But, of course, everybody is entitled to their opinion.

No they aren't. Some people are too unpracticed at
thinking to be entitled to an opinion.

Of course this can be trumped. "This is what I think
and I'll thump you if you try any of your intellectual
tricks."

--
Michael Press

Pound at it again? Davey Crockett Racing 1 April 23rd 07 01:39 PM
Pound to CAS? TJG Racing 9 March 27th 07 08:42 AM
TAKE A 5 POUND SLEDGE HAMMER AND POUND THE SHIT OUT OF YOUR 20 CATS! HELL NO, I AM THE KING OF TROLLS***JIMMYMAC 4863 W. GREGORY ST. CHICAGO, ILLINOIS 60630 773 282 9874***HELL NO, I AM THE KING OF TROLLS***JIMMYMAC 4863 W. GREGORY ST. CHICAGO, ILLIN jimmymac Recumbent Biking 0 November 27th 06 07:21 PM
The King is dead - long live the King! Just zis Guy, you know? UK 3 March 10th 05 11:42 PM
1,000 Pound Man !! Fx199 General 10 November 1st 04 04:24 PM