Triton Sponge frames... titanium trials.

Old September 15th 07, 07:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Sponge

Default Triton Sponge frames... titanium trials.

gerblefranklin wrote:
This is totally off-topic, but...

Back to the titanium frame, I'm curious about the order of fabrication
on the bearing holders... Did you machine the bearing seat first, and
then weld on the screw tabs, or did you weld, then machine. I would
have done the latter, but I'm curious as to how the pros do it.

Also, another note that supports you threading the bottom caps and
running the screws from the top: During bad pedalgrabs, the screw heads
will be damaged and mushroomed, which will make it hard to fit an allen
wrench in. By putting the screws in from the top, you prevent this.

Regarding the bearing holders, I originally designed it so that the
bolts screw in from the top, so the threads are in the bottom holders.
But these came the way they are. I don't really see much of a problem
unless people are *extremely* sloppy with pedalgrabs. The bolt heads
are quite a way up from the bottom of the bearing holder so that bottom
surface will take a scratching and beating and the bolt heads shouldn't
even touch any surfaces. The bolt heads stick out a bit in the pictures
because the bolts aren't fully screwed into the threads. Once they are
fully tightened in, you can see how much they have risen above the
bottom surface of the bearing holder.

It's no big deal right now to be honest. Putting it through harsh
testing would show if there's any problems with the design, which I'm
pretty confident there isn't right now. We shall see.

--
Sponge

MSN: feel free to add

*"Bikes are made to do trials, unis aren't."- Joe Hodges*

*"There is no reason to take skill level into account when making
friends with someone."- Brandon Hoerres*

http://www.usenet.com
Old September 15th 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendan

gd work sponge, glad to see u put ur injury to good work :P

those look awesome, only thing is whats the weight of this baby?

I'm impressed it looks real nice

--
brendan

[10:10] Amanda: can i have big boobs?
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 15th 07, 08:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Borgschulze

I want to predict 450 Grams... +/- 5%.

Can I get one free if I guessed right?

--
Borgschulze

'deviantART'
(http://borgschulze.deviantart.com/)'Gravity'
(http://videos.observedtrials.net/Gravity.wmv) is -not- the
issue.
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 16th 07, 12:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
manon1wheel

Sponge wrote:
production models won't be made until these 2 have been given extensive
testing and thrashing to see if it's up to the stresses of trials.

ill be happy to test one out!

--
manon1wheel

Amgallacher: hi, im amanda, im skinny and i ride a unicycle, wanna go
out sometime?
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 16th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

manon1wheel wrote:
ill be happy to test one out!

lol
i think cody (unicaw) and I would make great testers

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'my video!' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58465)
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 16th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gsracing91

haha yeah he destroys alot of tparts..

--
gsracing91
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 16th 07, 04:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

me tooo... mee toooo!!! lol
i am even a match for my KH ... sadly enough...

Old September 16th 07, 05:59 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danni

Joe hodges is better (at breaking parts) than both of you together.
He's destroyed almost everything out there.

If it can last Joe, which I'm sure it will, then the testing is
complete.

--
Danni

leo wrote:
Without cocks you wouldn't even have a family forum.

'My Trials Course'
http://www.usenet.com
Old September 16th 07, 06:48 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
brendan

some people should really get over the "i break so many parts - i'm so
cool thing"....

Old September 16th 07, 09:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

I posted it as an example of how aircraft can disappear in a fire. I
found the picture on the net and posted it. I did not notice the date
1941, captioned on the picture. Because ti was not used then, this is a
alum frame, yet illustrates the observation that plane frames may
disappear in a fire.
I have worked with magnesium parts in my past employment. We kept a
special fire snuff powder on hand. I have seen mag parts catch fire,
due to cutting friction. I don't know, but I doubt that fighter plane
frames were ever made of magnesium. If magnesium catches fire, it is
difficult, often impossible,to put it out with normal extinguishers ,
water won't do it. So if that plane had a mag frame, it would have much
less left.
I don't think ti or alum can burn, in the conventional sense. Steel
can. I lost a bet in the ship yard once to a burner (a guy who cuts
steel with an ox-acetylene torch). He showed me how once the metal gets
red hot, and he was cutting it by blowing a stream of oxygen through
the center of the torch fire(the way cutting torches cut thick steel ),
the acetylene knob on the torch could be turned shut, and yet the
reaction of the super hot oxygen with the red hot steel produced enough
heat for the flame to continue, and he kept cutting steel, based on the
heat produced by oxygen and steel combining. I don't know if that
qualifies as fire, but I paid him 10 $ cause I think I lost the bet
about if steel will burn.
The relevance to Sponges great creation, is that the reason Sponge is
the man now, is this is a weird metal. Sponge is the first to claim the
prospect, so
convincingly, to bring a uniquely difficult metal to uni manufacture.
As far as I can see. he has done an excellent work. I think he needs to
become a production engineer, or hire one. It looks so fine.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com