Bicycle Test (how safe is your neighborhood?)

Old June 7th 08, 07:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ablang

Default Bicycle Test (how safe is your neighborhood?)

"La Prueba de la Bicicleta"

This is a series of videos (mostly on MySpace) where someone decides
to run an experiment by placing an UNLOCKED bike on a busy street
corner to see how long it takes before it is stolen. If a bike lasts
an hour, the neighborhood is considered safe. If it lasts less than
10 mins, it is dangerous.

You can search for these videos on the internet w/ the above in
quotes.

How would your neighborhood fare?
Old June 10th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ablang wrote:
"La Prueba de la Bicicleta"

This is a series of videos (mostly on MySpace) where someone decides
to run an experiment by placing an UNLOCKED bike on a busy street
corner to see how long it takes before it is stolen. If a bike lasts
an hour, the neighborhood is considered safe. If it lasts less than
10 mins, it is dangerous.

You can search for these videos on the internet w/ the above in
quotes.

How would your neighborhood fare?

At my workplace, someone once left a bike by the front door. It stood
there (kickstand) for about four days, untouched, before I had security
remove it.
OTOH, this is the same building my locked trailer was stolen from.
You'd need a lot of bikes to get a statistically valid result from a
test like that one.

Bill

__o | I used to think that I was cool, running around on fossil fuel
_`\(,_ | Until I saw what I was doing was driving down the road to ruin.
(_)/ (_) | - James Taylor