Handlebar-mount mirrors?

Old May 28th 10, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott[_2_]

Default Handlebar-mount mirrors?

My wife has asked me to mount a mirror on the handlebars of her town
bike. Flat bars. She does not want a mirror on the bar end, but rather
something on a stalk. Anything out there that is well-made?
--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old May 28th 10, 06:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 28/05/10 9:46 AM, Mike Elliott wrote:
My wife has asked me to mount a mirror on the handlebars of her town
bike. Flat bars. She does not want a mirror on the bar end, but rather
something on a stalk. Anything out there that is well-made?

"http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/german-mirror/20-177"

Glad you only specified "well-made" and not "inexpensive."

Be careful about theft, for some reasons mirrors are popular to steal.
As if there's a market for used bicycle mirrors.

If you want cheap:

"http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18862"

There are also a lot of moped mirrors with clamps and stalks of various
lengths.

"http://www.amazon.com/Mirrors-Heavy-Moped-Bicycle-Mirror/dp/B000NJPE5E/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3"

"http://www.heeters.com/mirrors.shtml".
Old May 28th 10, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott[_2_]

SMS wrote:
On 28/05/10 9:46 AM, Mike Elliott wrote:
My wife has asked me to mount a mirror on the handlebars of her town
bike. Flat bars. She does not want a mirror on the bar end, but rather
something on a stalk. Anything out there that is well-made?

"http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/german-mirror/20-177"

Glad you only specified "well-made" and not "inexpensive."

$22 is affordable for me. Can't tell from the photos whether it will
mount well on flat bars, though.

Be careful about theft, for some reasons mirrors are popular to steal.
As if there's a market for used bicycle mirrors.

Part of the thriving underground economy. Along with taxidermicized
rabbits, vintage shower curtain rings, lidless Mason jars, pictures of
the Irish working class in various stages of undress, rare 5/8'' pipe
fittings, and -- inexplicably -- potted cacti.

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old May 28th 10, 10:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Mike Elliott wrote:
SMS wrote:
On 28/05/10 9:46 AM, Mike Elliott wrote:
My wife has asked me to mount a mirror on the handlebars of her town
bike. Flat bars. She does not want a mirror on the bar end, but rather
something on a stalk. Anything out there that is well-made?

"http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/german-mirror/20-177"

Glad you only specified "well-made" and not "inexpensive."

$22 is affordable for me. Can't tell from the photos whether it will
mount well on flat bars, though.

Be careful about theft, for some reasons mirrors are popular to steal.
As if there's a market for used bicycle mirrors.

Part of the thriving underground economy. Along with taxidermicized
rabbits, vintage shower curtain rings, lidless Mason jars, pictures of
the Irish working class in various stages of undress, rare 5/8'' pipe
fittings, and -- inexplicably -- potted cacti.

Yeah, but people shrug those off. When we leave a cap off a
valve it's judged more harshly.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old May 29th 10, 04:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 28 May 2010 16:43:28 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Yeah, but people shrug those off. When we leave a cap off a
valve it's judged more harshly.

Dear Andrew,

"Who are you, anyhow?" broke out Tom. "You're one of that bunch that
hangs around with Mike Jacoubowsky--that much I happen to know. I've
made a little investigation into your affairs--and I'll carry it
further tomorrow."

"You can suit yourself about that, old sport," said Muzi steadily.

"I found out what your 'local bike shops' were." He turned to us and
spoke rapidly. "He and this Jacoubowsky bought up a lot of side-street
local bike shops here and in Chicago and sold valve caps over the
counter. That's one of his little stunts. I picked him for a
bootlegger the first time I saw him and I wasn't far wrong."

"What about it?" said Muzi politely. "I guess your friend Peter
Chisholm wasn't too proud to come in on it."

"And you left him in the lurch, didn't you? You let him go to jail for
a month over in Boulder. God! You ought to hear Peter on the subject
of YOU."

"He came to us dead broke. He was very glad to pick up some money, old
sport."

"Don't you call me 'old sport'!" cried Tom. Muzi said nothing.
"Peter could have you up on the handlebar tape laws too, but
Jacoubowsky scared him into shutting his mouth."

That unfamiliar yet recognizable look was back again in Muzi's face.

--"The Great Muzi" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old May 29th 10, 02:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On May 28, 11:46*am, Mike Elliott
wrote:
My wife has asked me to mount a mirror on the handlebars of her town
bike. Flat bars. She does not want a mirror on the bar end, but rather
something on a stalk. Anything out there that is well-made?

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/parts...p?Type=mirrors

Get her some high heeled sneakers to go with.
Old May 29th 10, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Elliott[_2_]

wrote:
My wife has asked me to mount a mirror on the handlebars of her town
bike. Flat bars. She does not want a mirror on the bar end, but rather
something on a stalk. Anything out there that is well-made?

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/parts...p?Type=mirrors

Get her some high heeled sneakers to go with.

Oooooh -- sparkly!

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old May 29th 10, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On May 28, 2:38 pm, Mike Elliott
wrote:
SMS wrote:
On 28/05/10 9:46 AM, Mike Elliott wrote:
My wife has asked me to mount a mirror on the handlebars of her town
bike. Flat bars. She does not want a mirror on the bar end, but rather
something on a stalk. Anything out there that is well-made?

"http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/german-mirror/20-177"

Glad you only specified "well-made" and not "inexpensive."

$22 is affordable for me. Can't tell from the photos whether it will
mount well on flat bars, though.

Be careful about theft, for some reasons mirrors are popular to steal.
As if there's a market for used bicycle mirrors.

Part of the thriving underground economy. Along with taxidermicized
rabbits, vintage shower curtain rings, lidless Mason jars, pictures of
the Irish working class in various stages of undress, rare 5/8'' pipe
fittings, and -- inexplicably -- potted cacti.

Wearily walking home from the last day of the Fair earlier this month,
we wandered through the charity rummage sale. Last day of the Fair,
day winding down; there were signs that said, in effect, "name your
price".

My youngest had already spent like $34.14 of her $35 birthday money on
stuff at the Fair. As I perused the vintage shower curtain rings, I
heard her "haggling":

"How much for this?"

"How much do you want to pay?"

"But how much does this cost?"

"Whatever you want to pay."

She gave them the whole eighty-six cents. I was so proud :-)